Another Music Challenge...

ROUND 1: Which ORG do you think best fit its character? (Pick two)

• "Death Waltz" by ColdCallerloppy for the Doctor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Eatbleed" by Phantop CS for Mahin

• "Unholy Demon" by 2DBro for Ballos

• Total voters
Aug 19, 2015 at 4:28 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
SuperJaws100 said:
you might want to try changing the... oh I forget what it's called, TPcool knows. The numbers above each instrumet (usually 1,000).
hate9 said:
Pretty sure it's called "offset", and yeah, I probably should.
In OrgMaker, these numbers are labeled "Freq" in the Song Properties and Instruments dialog boxes, so I call it the Freq number.

hate9 said:
are we allowed to change the offsets of drums (yes they exist) at all?
(Brief context for everyone: You can change the Freq numbers for the melody tracks 1 to 8 in the Song Properties or the Instruments dialog box. But to change the Freq numbers for the drum tracks Q to I, you have to edit the ORG file with a hex editor.)

I know what effect the Freq number has on the melody tracks (rnhart.net/orgmaker/pitch.htm), but I gave up trying to calculate the exact effects the Freq number has on the drum tracks. I don't do much ORG making and when I do it's mostly with melody tracks. Is there any interesting reason you would want to modify the Freq number of a drum track? Does it let you do anything more than just placing drum notes higher or lower on the staff would do? Does Cave Story even use the Freq number of drum tracks for anything?

I remember that the drum "pitches" are slightly different in OrgMaker than they are in Cave Story. (Placing drum notes higher or lower on the staff will create generally "higher" or "lower" sounds, but you can't rely on it being the exact same "pitch" in OrgMaker and in Cave Story.) And since OrgMaker doesn't let you enter a Freq number for drum tracks anyway, I lost interest in playing with it further. But if there's something interesting about drum track Freq numbers, maybe I'll look into it again.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:22 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I don't know exactly what effect frequency has on drum tracks, but at the time of that post (I've since come up with a solution that doesn't require drum frequency changing) I was simply unsatisfied with the pitch of a specific drum "note" (which is the only "note" I used that drum for, so changing the frequency would fix it).

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:20 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I know that the rules specifically state that the file needs to be an ORG, but would it be okay if I made a song in PXTone using only ORG instruments?

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
hate9 said:
I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with you submitting something.
Also, is there a limit on how many submissions each participant can enter?
I think... well, I think we should limit it to two for now until we see how many participants actually finish their ORGs. I don't want one person to submit ten different ORGs and flood the system, so to speak.

andwhyisit said:
You have heard of the term "conflict of interest" haven't you? Winning your own contest (if it does happen), regardless of how fairly it was won, is never a good thing.
Alright, well, I'll post it here when I'm satisfied with it, but I won't actually "submit" it.

Pummelator said:
I know that the rules specifically state that the file needs to be an ORG, but would it be okay if I made a song in PXTone using only ORG instruments?
I'm going to have to ask that it be in ORG format. Pxtone has some capabilities that ORGmaker does not, like the whine affect you can put on individual notes.

hate9 said:
I don't know exactly what effect frequency has on drum tracks, but at the time of that post (I've since come up with a solution that doesn't require drum frequency changing) I was simply unsatisfied with the pitch of a specific drum "note" (which is the only "note" I used that drum for, so changing the frequency would fix it).
I'm pretty sure that Cave Story locks everything about the drums in place, meaning the frequency would be reset to it's normal value when the ORG is played in Cave Story. As such, I'll have to ask that you leave the Freq fro the drum tracks as it is.
hate9 said:
If we can enter multiple submissions, this is my second submission, and if we can't, this will replace my old one:
Linky
Listen without player at www.soundcloud.com/hate9/king
I like this one much better. The two really high pitched tracks can be grating at times, but they almost sound like violins, which is interesting.
Okay, here is my theme for MALCO. I tried to capture the idea that while he is limited by his programming, which keeps him ticking like clockwork, he does have deeper emotions, like respect, and loneliness.

Teatime Robot

I also didn't want to give the theme a generic name like "MALCO's Theme". So I didn't.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:32 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
SuperJaws100 said:
Okay, here is my theme for MALCO. I tried to capture the idea that while he is limited by his programming, which keeps him ticking like clockwork, he does have deeper emotions, like respect, and loneliness.

Teatime Robot
Kinda short, but pleasant and calm. It's a nice song, and I think it fits him well enough.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
SuperJaws100 said:
I like the hook, though the percussion feels a bit empty. The ticking effect is prominent, but I felt like it could have used some lower tones as well. Especially in bar 10, where the theme breaks into a different idea. I know you change it up a bit, but I feel like this could have been taken further and be syncopated maybe to show that "emotions" may not follow his programming.

Here's my theme for this challenge: At Ease

It's a take on a theme for Zett. Yes, I did not one, but two themes for Zett. I ended up choosing the one I initially started with since the other piece followed the exact same structure as Little Laugher Boss minus the intro. I might submit it as well though if I work on it some more.

Yeah Zett probably isn't a character in Cave Story with a lot to go on about what his actual "character" is about, but...I always liked his quote in the game. Seeing as how he is much older than the other Mimigas around him, I tried to go for something a little distant and wandering, but at the same time with this calmness and structure.

(Also here's a recording)

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Random-storykeeper said:
I like the hook, though the percussion feels a bit empty. The ticking effect is prominent, but I felt like it could have used some lower tones as well. Especially in bar 10, where the theme breaks into a different idea. I know you change it up a bit, but I feel like this could have been taken further and be syncopated maybe to show that "emotions" may not follow his programming.

It's a take on a theme for Zett. Yes, I did not one, but two themes for Zett. I ended up choosing the one I initially started with since the other piece followed the exact same structure as Little Laugher Boss minus the intro. I might submit it as well though if I work on it some more.

Yeah Zett probably isn't a character in Cave Story with a lot to go on about what his actual "character" is about, but...I always liked his quote in the game. Seeing as how he is much older than the other Mimigas around him, I tried to go for something a little distant and wandering, but at the same time with this calmness and structure.

Wow, this is really good!
Think I'll vote for it.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:24 PM
Random-storykeeper said:

(Also here's a recording)

Once again, I feel like this theme would've better fit Misery. The theme is a tad dark. For Zett, I would've done a depressingly slow rag-time (I've heard songs like that).

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:41 AM
Beakface
SuperJaws100 said:
Once again, I feel like this theme would've better fit Misery. The theme is a tad dark. For Zett, I would've done a depressingly slow rag-time (I've heard songs like that).
Yeah, maybe. I originally had a really slow buildup, but decided that I needed more momentum so I just decided to build it up in 4 bars instead of 8. Like you said earlier, there's not a lot of direct content to go about, so I figured I'd have a broad enough spectrum, and the hint of darkness seems to be broad enough. I guess I just kind of focused on how Zett was most probably alive when the robots and Mimigas were at war. Zett seems to be among the few (?) who acknowledged that not all robots were just killing machines. I feel like he just sort of came to terms with the oncoming events but still carries all that "darkness" baggage with him.

But thanks for your input!

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:48 AM
ColdCallerloppy said:
Here's my entry: Bare bones but hey to me I tried and that's all that matters.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1g335987o5ar1lz/Death+waltz.zip
I went for the ambient tone for it, it was the only one that fits The Doctor.
Alright, so my suggestion to you is, try reading up on music theory a bit. Learn about sharps, flats, and natural notes, and what notes sound good together. Because a lot of this ORG was grating on the ears, because you combined "incompatible" notes.

2DBro said:
Not bad, simple and short. That's how most Cave Story character themes are, so that's not at all a bad thing. I loved the title :orangebell:

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:02 AM
Four days left people! Good luck!

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:22 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
SuperJaws100 said:
Alright, so my suggestion to you is, try reading up on music theory a bit. Learn about sharps, flats, and natural notes, and what notes sound good together. Because a lot of this ORG was grating on the ears, because you combined "incompatible" notes.
I'll look it up to make my future ideas better. And that was the point of the song as I saw it; to be a grating un-easing song. Are there any songs you could recommend I look up or just music theory in general? Thanks for the feedback.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:01 PM
I'll look it up to make my future ideas better. And that was the point of the song as I saw it; to be a grating un-easing song. Are there any songs you could recommend I look up or just music theory in general? Thanks for the feedback.

Try looking at the original Cave Story tracks in ORGmaker. It might help. But other than that, read up on music theory in general, and try transcribing a few songs from sheet music.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:11 AM
Beakface

Really? I mean there's a lot of fourth and fifth harmonies, but I think the instrument choice and balancing really makes it bearable. In fact, it kind of adds to the weird madness the Doctor succumbs to when he goes too far with the Red Crystal. That stuff ain't pretty. Well, it doesn't seem as "clashy" as Callerloppy's boss entry.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1g335987o5ar1lz/Death+waltz.zip

I went for the ambient tone for it, it was the only one that fits The Doctor.

Definitely doesn't feel ambient, and is definitely not a waltz (most commonly 3/4) either. :pignon2: It's pretty interesting though. It feels a little bit like "Zombie" but with less grating instruments.

Oh, I left the other default drums the same. Sorry about that.
This should be fixed hopefully.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dinaqmn23tm4ut/Accidental Mimiga.org?dl=0
How ironic that a piece called "Accidental Mimiga" has no accidentals. :o

That aside, choosing really soft waves seems to be your thing. Y'know like Wave 00 and the like. It's an all right hook, but I'm curious as to why you have a 4 beat 8 step setup without making use of it. Ehh no matter.

(Oh my bad; I thought we still had post merging.) eh

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 24, 2015 at 5:53 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This was the best I could do

EDIT: Didn't have loop until now. Please re-download if you already downloaded.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM
Tomorrow is the due date! Poll will go up tomorrow... hopefully.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:35 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Is hate (or somebody else) going to be making a video again? Somebody should definitely make it once all of the entries have been submitted because it was pretty helpful last time.