A Real Gosh Darned Community Project

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:59 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
here's the scoop: we're trying to do another community project, as all the other one's we've tried in the past have failed.
we're using a storyline by jacob, cyowolf's going to work on the sprites, and jet is the leader. contact him if you want to join.
very, very early first has bean removed for lack of content.
this mod has been made with sues workshop, fyi.

thanky.

original post:
well...
I think it's time to try one of these again, seeing how we now have a whole bunch of new members since the last time we tried, the bulk of the forum, actually, and most are supa talented (have a mod/brain). I know this has failed before, but just think of all the really, really cool things we could do if we combined our abilities. so yeah, it would be awesome if we even got one level in, but, iono, we need the community to help if we want a community project, so yeah. do something interesting and original and try to make a group hackymod with at least one level.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Well, what you need most is good organization. What I have in mind: At the top of the project is one guy, let's call him "leader", who is responsible for managing how things get done. There can be more leaders, but one should be enough when working on a mod. Then there are "members", who are responsible for getting things done. Anyone can become a member by posting a response saying what they are able to do (i.e. animations, level design, scripting etc.). By signing up as a member you agree that you have enough free time to work on the project!! Now, the project gets done this way: Leader tells member to do something, member does it. Pretty simple, if you'd ask me.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Assign positions

Try establishing a leader, someone with an idea that we can shape the mod around.

Try assigning people to do certain things, like music, hacks, facepics, and map design.

Just a suggestion.

Facepics aren't a problem for me, just need an idea of what to do.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:13 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Hi Dj Corey here

DJ Corey here
Leader of the Cave Story remix project 2
Its a real shame that cs doesnt support mp3 because the quality of remixes people have put into my project are absoloutley brilliant and more to come. I have a good storyline for you if anyones intrested and i would do some of the scripting for the game. Im here o dedicate my life to cave story!

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM
throw out any ideas, it's a community project so they might be changed a lot, but whatevs.
as for leader, anyone wanna be one?
I'l do it if nobody else wants to.

(also, you don't have to announce yourself whenever you post man)

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:22 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well, I imagine we should decide on what this Mod project is going to be about. Will it be CS related? Completely original? Will the plot be humorous, tragic, or touching?

I personally am all for doing something Cave Story related, because it gives something of a common ground to focus on.

As for what I can do for help, I have a pretty good grasp of TSC, and I enjoy thinking up story/plot.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:25 PM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I think this idea would be kind of hard to handle; If you're thinking if the community would start a mod or hack project for cavestory. I had this idea of merging all of the people's mod characters into one, like a allstars thing, and they all have to destroy some kind of evil or something.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmmm...

I was thinking about something like Ralren's idea, too, but with all the mods out there, getting all the characters into a single one would be kinda tough...
Though, Runelancer had a thread talking about having more than just two playable characters, which would require some Assembly hacking, but maybe we could go somewhere with that...

Though, no matter what is it, as long as it's a mod I'm sure I can be of help :D

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Yes, but it should be a project where fun is No.1. and quality is not so crucial.

Else, I suppose there would be a fight for the *project leadership* , negative critics would come, people quitting...

My opinion that it should be an *easy going* and fun collaboration. A true tribute to Cave Story!

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:27 PM
there aint no such thing as an "official" member dooey, cause, ya know, if you're on the forum then you're a part of the community, and community project...
well, technicalities aside, thanks for the helps.

@trixy, fun is good
@void, more then two isn't that hard, 1000 would be annoying
@ral, yes, an allstars type thing would be awesome, but who would be the villainous villain?
@cowboy, the best plots (in my opinion) are humorous, tragic, and tragic. that's right, i said it twice!

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:34 AM
Banned
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I would be willing to help with sprites and facepics, I'm okay with scripting.

I could help with the plot a bit too.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:23 PM
awesome.
does anyone wanna volunteer to be the leader?
I feel like I timed this poorly, it woulda been a much better idea at the beginning of summer.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Argh -_-;

The best size for a "community mod" is about 3-5. Anyone can submit art/music/etc., but mapping/hacking need two people at most, or things just get confusing, and having any more than one writer is just impractical. It also helps if the team can be flexible; if someone wants to quit/hasn't got time to work, there are plenty of others around to take up the slack. The mapper(s) in particular also need to work together with the writer, because a separately written script does not always mean good level design, and vice versa. It would be useful if someone could do both (most people here can both write and map, after all), or you could just ditch story altogether/keep it v. simple.

Some people will be left out, but really you guys can work with each other whenever you want if you're not busy with something else. I'm afraid that's the only way it's going to work, having any more than a few people is a guaranteed way to ensure that this will be Failed Community Project #4... yeah, pretty sure it's #4.

I can help as a script proofreader/fixer-upperer, or alpha/beta tester, being the resident feedback guy and all. I might dump some music in too, feeling obligated makes me more likely to actually do something >_> But nothing until there's some definite actual WORK done.

@trickybilly, and entire thread in general: Pixel does not like big projects, especially ones that are CS-related. The best way to do this will be to keep it fairly low-key once the design team is decided, communication via PM and etc. Creativity is the path to success, not extravagance.

also "lol someone be leader pl0x"

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:55 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I have a random weird idea. What DT said about only a few people are practical is very true, but if a lot of people (i.e. more than 3-5) want to participate, why not have 2 or 3 or 4 separate community projects, so it's like a competition?

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Lol mods.

Yes, I am a random trespasser, No, I *am* kinda familiar with this subforum(not with any else. I think I have played almost any mod posted in here).
ANYWAYS

Even though I don't have any knowledge in making mods for CS, I am available to make a shitload of musics, and soundseffects if needed <3

I have some experience in making and such, and find it fun to do so. SO YEAH D:

lol first post

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Sep 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So... Are we gonna do something or what...?

Ah what the heck.

WE NEED THE FOLLOWING D:
Programmers:
-
-

Storywriter:
-

LevelDesigner:
-
-

Pixel/BGArtist:
-
-

Sound/Music Artists:
-
-

AND POSSIBLY MOAR, I r noob, I don't know everything about modding yet ._.

Short explanation what I understand under these roles..

Programmers do the code stuff. You know... uhm... Code shit. Like. Shitting Codes. What do Programmers exactly? ._.
The Storywriter, who's probably also the leader of the project, designs the plot(ofcourse, after talking about it with others). Once done, he'll do all the texts the players gets to see. From the simple "OMFG I PICKED UP A <3CONTAINER I R 1337 NAO" to the most complicated conversations about penguins picking flowers.
Leveldesigners, possibly also a programmer, designs the layout for a level, monster placement, etc... it's also responsible for the routing and the learning curve of the game(yes, we *are* going to turn this into a pro looking mod. I just decided that.)
Pixel/BG artists makes all the graphics, from the simple sprite and faces to the full backgrounds of the game. They are also doing animations.
Sound/Music Artists are applying on everylace where there's sound. Sound effects, music etc.

ProjectTaijm!

Fuck yeah, we got the basic done, so now what?
We are going to put in a little scheme.

This is how we should go to work.

First of all, we are going to decide a few things. TOGHETHER. YOU KNOW. WITH OTHER PEOPLE. OTHER THAN YOURSELF.
- Theme
- Style[Think about GFX/Music]
- Plot
- Characters

Then it's time to do some work.

GFX ARTISTS will look for a suitable style, based on what we have decided. Will post a few examples to see whether it's in the liking. Once they found someone everyone, or most of the people are actually liking, they'll start the concepts. No need for detailed concept art, but then again, it's frikking awesome if we get some concept art for our mod, so please do so :3
With concepts I mean basic sprites/backgrounds perhaps even tiles, unanimated etc etc. I believe you know what I mean by Conceptart
Once the concepts are in the liking, they'll start to work on the final art. This is animated, etc etc. Once that's done, You're frikking awesome, and get a medal for your hard work. Or not.

LEVELDESIGNERS start by layouts. I guess it's the easiest to draw them, they are usually really basic, with arrows showing the way etc etc. This will be based on the story line. Once done, they will also communicate toward the GFX artists what they are going to need, how it should look like, and how it's going to stand out or something. They also need to contact the writers devision about the text, places where there are signs and such. Once all the contacting is done, they'll start building the level with temporarily tiles. They also test their level, and let their level be tested, to see if it's not too hard, to easy, if it's fun or not, and based on that change whatever they need to change. This should be done with every part of every level. At least, in an official game. Once done, they can replace the temp tiles with the original tiles.

MUSICMAKERS start off with the music, first they'll look for a style, perhaps they make something fast, or rip it off frm some song, and show it. Once they've found something to the liking, they start off immediatly with the final music. Once done, they'll keep changing it untill it's final. Usually it's not such a big deal really.
Furthermore, they make a list of all the sounds in the game, together with the writerdude. Once done, they'll start to find sounds, find new ones if not good blah blah blah(Geez... this is getting boring, better make an end to it, FAST)

WRITERDUDE(dang, I can't finish this one off fast :( )is als the big leader. Meaning, he has to keep track of everyone's bussiness, and will make sure people will get the right file. He'll also keep a personal database on his computer with all versions of all files, in case something goes wrong. Ah well, He'll also write a plot, based on the opinions of the people and such. Once writted, people read, people give critism, writer changes, blah blah. Once done, he'll write out an overal story, giving the following thing to the following people:
Music people: Which maps will be in game, what's the style(how would the main pers feel when he's in that map)and where are the important convo's, bossbattles etc etc.
Leveldesigners: Mostly the same as above, what's the first level, what's the second, overal style, the convo's, the bosses. You know the shit.
GFX: Blah Blah Blah Blah.
Programmers: Uhm. Stuff. You know. Stuff.
ONCE DONE, he'll start writing out the conversations, the signs the... everything really. Meanwile, he'll keep track of how people are keeping up.

Sounds odd, but being a writerdude shouldn't be that much of a trouble. Should be one of the easier jobs really.

Programmers do stuff. Go fuck yourself if you wanna know what. Just go do stuff, and make it awesome. You know. With flashy bits and flying boobies.

THIS IS NOT HOW WE ARE GOING TO DO IT. This is just a suggestion. If you like it, we use it. If you don't, come up with something better. If you're too lazy to find something, poop.

And Lace, Please edit your first post with this content - if it makes any sence that is <3

Edit: Lol. This took so long to write I actually was logged out when I wanted to post it. n.n

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
MysticFairy said:
THIS IS NOT HOW WE ARE GOING TO DO IT. This is just a suggestion. If you like it, we use it. If you don't, come up with something better. If you're too lazy to find something, poop.
Did you miss the part where I explained why having a big extravagant design team won't work and/or has never worked? -_-; It needs to be small and flexible, preferably with people working on multiple areas. Writing comes a definite second to map design/creation and hacking, you can't just hand a script in and say "make this". The documentation should also be kept by the mapper/hacker, since again, they have to do most of the actual work. All dialogue input and especially animation is done in the map script; half the scripting work might end up being stage direction. The team as a whole will need to come up with the basic outline, or setting in particular, to get everyone into the right scope.

Thank you for the overdone explanations of basic design team jobs though, I'm sure nobody new about them, especially this:
MysticFairy said:
Programmers do stuff. Go fuck yourself if you wanna know what. Just go do stuff, and make it awesome. You know. With flashy bits and flying boobies.
This project can never fail with such masterful input! Programmers, get on the flashing boobies, pronto. Actual programming as such isn't needed, what with this being a mod and all, so you just get to sit in a corner and fuck yourself :>

I know it's easy to get over-eager and all that but if you're unfamiliar with modding/community projects/everything, you should try and get a feel for how such a thing might work before spending such a long time writing up something that everyone else already understands and/or saying something ridiculous like the above. Having newbies try to jump in on something they're not familiar with isn't exactly productive :/

@ Everyone else: This isn't going anywhere fast. Lace, you started the thread, so I'm assuming you want to be at least involved somehow. Thus, I propose that those who want to be seriously involved in this (read: mapping/hacking, dedicated artist, writer or 'scripting director' as it should better be called) PM Lace with their offer. Not saying you have to be the "leader", just a point of connection for the project to get off the ground. If you have any objections I'm sure someone else will do it, if not, I guess we're all too busy to work on something at the moment >_> It's much better for a project to start off in this fashion, rather than trying to set out all jobs at once; that way if someone is needed for a specific task, a request can be posted and the position filled as needed, and everyone can contribute over time when they're not too busy. I'm not too fond of the "leader" idea either honestly, but I'll leave that up to you lot.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I might be noob, but honestly, don't take everything to seriously, you won't get anywhere if you don't use you own head and just assume every word reality really.. :")

I have no experience with this kind of modding, but honestly, no one is doing anything. If I didn't make that post, you wouldn't as well ;)

Though, I missed your post indeed, my apologies for that, and yes, this is the basic setup for a semi professional team to work on a game.

After reading though, I'd say your idea of running a project won't work. Simply because people won't set this project as a priority, and just forget about it. There will be hardly any focus, people will get lost, don't know what to do, unless you give them a clear line of wha to do when or what. And whenever you do that, you'll be back to the "big extravagant design team", which doesn't have to be extravagant but hey.

If you are running something with multiple people you NEED a line to work along. If you disagree, it's fine by me, and I'll let you handle the things you want the way you want. As I said, this is just a suggestion, something to help.
Feel free to totally trash it ;)