A few questions about Cave Story projects...

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:42 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Sorry for the ambigiuos title... lol
I just recently discovered Cave Story and have really enjoyed the game; and impressed at the job Pixel has done...

I was preliminary idea gathering for a possible mod of Cave Story today; and I'm wondering...

*SPOILER possibly*

Are there any mods that tell the story of what's happened when Curly and Quote first came to the island during the war between the Robots/humans and the Mimiga? And pretty much fill in the story till we find our hero in the Starting Point we know from the original Cave Story?

Or is Pixel planning prequel? Is he done with Cave Story? On to other projects?

I wouldn't want to actually start a project already in development :p [not to say I am or will at this point... but..!] I'd like to know my options :o

Thanks!
[and of course there's Variant; I wonder if they have plans to this end? Anybody know?]

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:53 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Welcome X-Calibar. Thanks for checking the game out. You're from the Ys boards and Plight of the Fan Translator right? : )

To my knowledge I don't think there are any mods that have been released that tell a prequel to Cave Story. I think most deal with direct sequels, character mod spin-offs and original story concepts. If there is, there doesn't seem to be any news related to it that have been posted here... to my knowledge. And Pixel is a bit too busy to consider making a sequel/prequel to the game at this point. He's working on Pxtone Collage right now, which is a shooter.

As for Variant, it is still unknown whether or not they will be able to port and develop a new version of Cave Story and that is still up in the air as far as we can tell, but hopefully it will be resolved soon. They do not currently have the rights to make a spinoff or sequel of any kind to the game, that I know for sure.

And Pixel has said in the past that fans of the game can pretty much do as they please with the game, so that pretty much allows anyone to make any sort of mod they wish in which I assume as long as it is tastefully done.

I say go for it, there is a lot of potential to be had with making a prequel and even if other people were working on one, your vision might be vastly different, so you should give it a try. : )

-SkyeWelse

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:37 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"You're from the Ys boards and Plight of the Fan Translator right? : )"
Yep!! One and the same X-Calibar :o
I discovered Cave Story thanks to your signature :o

And as for the rest... that's good and bad news!
Hope it works out for Variant; and I'll have to check out the other mods...

I'll give this project some serious thought; I think I'll know in a month's time if I'm really here to stay :p

In the meantime I need to go through the game again and map out the story... Gotta be consistent :p
I'll keep you updated ~

and thanks for the reply :)

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:15 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Sure thing. : ) Feel free to ask any questions you might have in how to utilize the most from these modification programs such as Sue's Workshop and Miza. There are always new tips n' tricks being discovered by other developers.

-SkyeWelse

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:50 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hi X-Calibar! There was an interview posted a while back on The Independent Games Source website (I think its down at the moment) where pixel (if I remember this correctly) said he was completely done with Cave Story. If you want a Cave Story esque game look up Ikachan(included in Cave Story Deluxe or google it), Cave Story's predecessor.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:33 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I was just playing a bit of Cave Story this morning when I got to the

*** Spoiler ***

part where he feeds Curly the Ma Pignon memory mushroom and she remembers Quote and why they were sent to the island. If it helps, you can find the save profile.dat attached to jump you to the scene. It appears from what she said that not only where Quote and Curly sent there to destroy the Demon Crown, they witnessed its power first hand during the Doctor's attempts to use the Mimiga army on the rest of the world. She doesn't say whether or not they completely failed in their quest to stop him, only that he was much to strong for them to defeat, however they were able to wound him somehow. I'm guessing that the doctor didn't actually conquer the world, but then again, if he hadn't, wouldn't more robots from the various countries in the world be re-sent to battle against him?

That will have to be something you'll have to factor in when making a prequel, whether or not the Doctor did in fact conquer the world or did Quote and Curly manage to stop this grander scheme just in time heroicly. Perhaps they weakened his power over the Demon Crown? I would imagine that the final outcome would have been some sort of blinding explosion that sends both Quote and Curly apart from each other and where the Doctor could not find them setting the stage for Cave Story.

Sounds like an interesting premise to say the least. Quote and Curly will be in the middle of a war with the Doctor and the ravaging Mimigas as well as any robot survivors. And best of all, a story could be fleshed out about the legendary mimiga Arthur and his efforts to keep Ballos at bay but ultimately meeting his demise at the hands of the Doctor.

It's rather a dark story or so one would be led to believe, sort of like Star Wars Episode III. lol

-SkyeWelse

Attachments

• Profile.zip
    389 bytes · Views: 185
Apr 19, 2006 at 7:32 PM
Indie game enthusiast
***SPOILER!!**** :p

I haven't played through the hell area yet, I ran past the open door without realizing I was supposed to go in lol [the place is falling apart :O Why would I go inside a small house :p]

Okay, loaded up the save... and comparing notes; *duh!!! to myself* forgot the walkthroughs linked on your site probably have the actual text... :)

Okay the attached text file supports what I have to say....

"It appears from what she said that not only where Quote and Curly sent there to destroy the Demon Crown, they witnessed its power first hand during the Doctor's attempts to use the Mimiga army on the rest of the world. "
Not the doctor!!! If Sue is believed to be pretty young, and King as well [they don't know about the red flowers, and the invasion of the robots sounds like it happened probably in Arthur's lifetime...? [Haven't played through the best ending and don't want to spoil it yet!]

I mean unless the Hell area tells me otherwise about the Doctor, I assume that this his first time donning the Demon Crown. [plus Balrog states that now they have a new master]
[Jenka: Again???]
mmm and also the Statue room, the statue carver is still creating the statue of the doctor [you can tell by it's grin]

So looking at the statue room assuming those are statues of who has worn the crown, and in chronological order [not to mention the others don't look human], "Miakid" would be the one Quote and Curly fought at that time... [supposebly fatally wounding? not sure]

"She doesn't say whether or not they completely failed in their quest to stop him, only that he was much to strong for them to defeat, however they were able to wound him somehow."
Quote and Curly and whoever else was there must have finished him off [at least enough so, that maybe he wandered to the throne and died] (that's where his skull was found anyways...) [I have a good secret idea to explain this] [or misery could have moved it I guess? or something]

" I'm guessing that the doctor didn't actually conquer the world, but then again, if he hadn't, wouldn't more robots from the various countries in the world be re-sent to battle against him?"
Well assuming what Jenka and Curly said, after the robots attacked and after they got the crown; the real tragedy began... The Mimigas probably pushed back the robots thanks to the red flower; but they still got the crown. Miakid would have it. So the invasion is called off, Mission Accomplished; However Miakid then took control of this new power [noting probably that the Mimiga's were striking back with a new power, the red flower]; So basically the combined might of the countries ended up creating a tragedy. Maybe Miakid was a trusted general? And perhaps the demon crown corrupts as well as grants power... [Red flower and demon crown linked? [there is a red gem on the crown...]

Er so why didn't they send more robots after that? Well, if attempting to take the demon crown for the world ended up causing such a tragedy; and corrupting Miakid [or not?]. Perhaps those who sent Curly and Quote, got word of what they were able to accomplish [possibly stopping/limiting the frenzied Mimiga's destruction on earth] and defeating Miakid.. They probably decided it would be best; to make the island offlimits [except for researchers later on]; Admitting they made a grave error. [or at least something along this train of thought...] Their interest in the crown was probably stopped for now while they lick their wounds; and figure out what went wrong. This could be over 10 years? I still don't know how long this could be! How long has the Doctor been there? etc etc.... hmmm

"That will have to be something you'll have to factor in when making a prequel, whether or not the Doctor did in fact conquer the world or did Quote and Curly manage to stop this grander scheme just in time heroicly. Perhaps they weakened his power over the Demon Crown? I would imagine that the final outcome would have been some sort of blinding explosion that sends both Quote and Curly apart from each other and where the Doctor could not find them setting the stage for Cave Story."
Minus it being the doctor, this is where the Good, Bad and Best endings would occur :p I wouldn't think the blinding explosion routine ;) [that just means you died] From what Curly said, I was there... you were too; ... I wonder if Ballos and Miakid worked together? *ugh!! I need to play through the end game so I can stop doubting myself :O ;)]

"Sounds like an interesting premise to say the least. Quote and Curly will be in the middle of a war with the Doctor and the ravaging Mimigas as well as any robot survivors. And best of all, a story could be fleshed out about the legendary mimiga Arthur and his efforts to keep Ballos at bay but ultimately meeting his demise at the hands of the Doctor."
I assume more of this is told in the hell area!
Really, I see this as less of a mod, and more of a game of equal size as the original Cave Story... There is just so much potential with Cave Story's ... Story! lol

It really deserves lengthing, but would I really be committed to spending anything on the scale of time that Pixel did? I would want to create it on an equal scale... Maybe I'm just dreaming mmmm

"It's rather a dark story or so one would be led to believe, sort of like Star Wars Episode III. lol"
I thought that too ;)

A few spoilers I was imagining for this game...
You know that nearly official picture by uh ... you know the one being used by Variant for the game box; where Quote's cap says Curly Brace? Well in this game if I follow that, I'd have Curly be wearing the cap, and Quote looking more like the other robots [since he doesn't have a cap on (unless he would have his own?)]... [maybe later on in the game or at the end, Curly would give Quote the cap... [with her name on it :p] ;)

Characters I thought that could be in it might be...
Quote, Curly, Arthur?, Misery [sounds like Quote might have met Misery once before], Balrog? [unsure], Ballos?, younger Prof Booster?, young King? [maybe not], the green doctor and nurse from the labyrinth lol, a younger gunsmith...

Weapons... Missile Launcher, Machine gun, [now since the first one had bubbler and fireball [water and fire], this one would have earth and air :p Bolt/ Airgun and Rockman? lol not sure...
Then something like the main gun... North Star? Blaster? Outlaw? Shooter? not sure lol

I love to dream on this, I don't want to spoil everything I'm thinking up yet ;) But... grand ideas = grand amounts of time... mmmmm and figuring out hex editing enemy patterns; and the weapons??? Will have to be way far on the list...

But, I should be using Miza right? It's completely okay to use on version 1.0.0.6 right? [even if I were to change graphics and it modifies the exe?]

I know that as it stands Sue's Workshop can't be used because it creates problems right? Causes boss problems etc...

Er anyways this post is long enough already ;)
CAVE STORY!!!!!

EDIT: Oh, I knew I missed something...
This is pretty major too :p

"Booster: Actually...
Booster: There's one of us who's a perfect match for this job.
Booster turns towards you.
Booster: It's you.
Kazuma: ...Who IS he?
Booster: In fact...
****Booster: This is one of the armed scout robots that were dispatched to this island 10 years ago.
Kazuma: A robot?!
Booster: My impression was that they had been completely wiped out, but I do not know the particulars.
Booster: It's entirely possible that one of them could have...
Kazuma: Professor.
Kazuma: I've connected to the Sand Zone.
Booster: I see.
Booster: You are the most suited to exploring this island.
Booster: Please. Give us your aid.
"

Well in that case it's clearly 10 years... [knew I remembered that somewhere]
So that fits, so 10 years ago; Quote and Curly arrive to destroy the Crown, but Miakid gets to it before they do. The robots kill off a large part of the Mimigas but not before the Mimigas use the red flowers... to push back the robots. The crown is taken and the robots have mission accomplished. Miakid sees and then uses the power of the flowers and the Crown to control the Mimiga to attack the Earth... And finally Curly and Quote make it to fight Miakid... and defeat him [perhaps assuming they had destroyed the crown].

10 years pass, new researchers are sent to learn the secrets of the island, of what happened to the crown...
And Cave Story begins ;)

"
Huzzah! Balrog drops in, crushing you.
Balrog: Sorry! Hee-hee-hee.
Misery teleports in.
Misery: So you're alive.
**Misery: You remind me of the one back then.
*Misery: A tough little robot just like you...
*Misery: I can see confronting you directly just makes things complicated.
Misery: To the Labyrinth with you.
Misery teleports you away. Balrog smiles.
Misery: And you as well.
Balrog: ...Uh?
Misery teleports Balrog away.
Misery: Ho-ho-ho...
Misery: Heavens, that felt good.
"

I gotta play and beat Cave Story tonight ;) I'm going crazy here thinking about it lol

Attachments

• Document.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 264
Apr 19, 2006 at 11:06 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Hmm, you're right. The villain would in fact be Miakid and not the Doctor, or the Doctor would have found out how to use the red flowers and the mimigas a long time ago. His pursuit of the red flowers and the crafting of his statue does imply that this is all pretty recent. Quote must have awakened in just the nick of time.

As for your thought process on how you are thinking of designing the story of this game sound very promising. I especially like the idea that perhaps Miakid was a trusted or respected general who was corrupted by the demon crown then had to be stopped by Curly and Quote. The thing is, from what Curly says, it seems like they tried to stop him but were unsuccessful since his power was way out of their league, but they were able to wound him. This is perhaps what eventually stopped him, perhaps it was a mortal wound, or perhaps it was something else.

As for Ballos, I doubt that Miakid and Ballos have a personal work-together connection, you'll see what I mean when you make it through hell. Ballos seems to be an entity all in itself working for his own goals and purpose, whatever that may be. I won't say anything more about that until you finish it. There is a transcript of all the dialogue from hell, Ballos and the good ending in my faq for the Sacred Grounds stage if it helps, but I don't think it reveals anything new about the past history of the island.

As for Curly and her hat, great idea! And I see you added the transcript from what Misery states about how Quote reminds her of another robot that she remembers being a tough one to deal with. That robot is most likely Curly Brace, so perhaps Curly Brace should be the main protagonist this time around since it seems that Misery has not met Quote before Cave Story.

And there is a story, I forgot exactly when it happens, but I believe it is told from Professor Booster about Arthur. I remember there being something that Arthur fought against, a dark power from within the island (Ballos I had originally thought) and then was later killed by who I thought was the Doctor, but perhaps his story is much more ancient then that. Perhaps he was killed by Miakid, or perhaps he was the one who died whilst landing the final blow against Miakid. A true hero's death befitting of his legendary status.

I wish I could dig up that transcript somewhere, that would be immensely helpful in this situation. I will say that you do have me rather intrigued with this and it seems you are very talented when in comes to fleshing out interesting ideas and your attention to detail for just having played the game recently is remarkable.

-SkyeWelse

Apr 19, 2006 at 11:55 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
SkyeWelse said:
Hmm, you're right. The villain would in fact be Miakid and not the Doctor, or the Doctor would have found out how to use the red flowers and the mimigas a long time ago. His pursuit of the red flowers and the crafting of his statue does imply that this is all pretty recent. Quote must have awakened in just the nick of time.

The dialogue gave me the general impression that Quote (and Curly) awoke at the moment that the doctor donned the Demon Crown.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:02 AM
Indie game enthusiast
The dialogue gave me the general impression that Quote (and Curly) awoke at the moment that the doctor donned the Demon Crown.
Hmmm well that can't be because, I remember it said Curly raised those kids... [I'll be at that part shortly]

As for Quote... it's possible :p Or maybe... what about that mysterious Gunsmith... ?? Come on... what's with this Hermit who lives in the middle of nowhere, with no big equipment yet he created the Polar Star? And you're not very far away from him when you start :)

I have several ideas on this :o

Oh and as for the dialogue you were trying to find Skye... This must be it?

*spoiler**!!

"
Toroko's brother Arthur fought against a horrific red monster...

The terrible demon of this island that feasts on Mimigas.

It's not the Doctor, it's...something else.

That demon has lived on this island for ages.

It came here to the village,

but Arthur single-handedly drove it back.

His gallant figure alone shielding our village from harm...

I'll never forget it, as long as I live.

He may have finally been killed by the Doctor, but he was a true hero.

" - Jack said it :p

I'll be back in a little bit! gotta go~

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:54 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
It has been my impression that the monster Arthur fought against was the big red guy from toward the end of 'hidden' Final Cave.

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:52 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
***Spoilers... of course***

Ah there it is. So it was the doctor that did Arthur in afterall.

Now this Red monster... I'm actually starting to think that perhaps it wasn't Ballos, but instead "The Red Demon"
reddemon.gif

I don't think a single mimiga would have been strong enough to defeat Ballos to push him back in a corner... but then again who knows what Pixel is referring to?

-SkyeWelse

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:00 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Also, all of this got be thinking about all of the mechanized monsters, bosses and npcs that you run into during the game. Are some of these machines native to the island or perhaps creations or constructs delivered to the island to serve some sort of purpose? Perhaps the robot army that was sent there first brought all of these machines with them and they eventually became tools by the wearer of the Demon Crown.

p3986-0-killrobotpor.gif
p3986-1-killrobot.gif
- Quote and Curly could battle with the likes of these.

p3986-2-malco.gif

p3986-3-bluerobots.gif
- Perhaps Malco and the other robots could play a more prominent role this time around.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:02 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
p3987-0-hpressani.gif
press.gif

These weird death devices could finally be explained.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:02 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
firewhirrr.gif
rolling.gif

deleet.gif

Are these native to the island or were they brought?

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:03 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
p3989-0-ironhead.gif
p3989-1-omegaani.gif
- Are these more powerful mechanized robotic creations native to the island or were they brought as well?

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:03 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
monx1.gif
monx2.gif

Was Monster X native to the island? Was it a specialized project experiment designed to eliminate mimigas? What was it doing in the labyrinth, lending support for the final assault against the core of the island perhaps?

Questions, and more questions. Good luck explaining them in the game if you plan on including them : )

Edit: Sorry to expand it to so many posts, but I for the life of me cannot change the admin settings to increase the maximum allowed images used per post.

-SkyeWelse

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:30 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
p3989-0-ironhead.gif

Umm... I'm pretty sure IronHead - final (IIRC) boss of Ikachan - was not native to the island. Not sure about the others, but IronHead couldn't have been.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:03 PM
Heehee, I actually have some "answers" to some of these origins in my own mod. All speculation, of course, but I think it fits. Not ready for a full run-down yet though, still need to work out some details.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:28 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Hey Skye ;) Yeah I noticed the limited images per post too :O [had to disable smilies lol]
*spoiler*
I'm going to start going through these details... who created these? Did the demon crown corrupt some of the robots? Was Miakid called Miakid? [I'm in the battle with Ballos ... and his million and one forms :p argh] I didn't notice the spikes,.......!!?# But in the statue chamber at the end with the completed Doctor statue, he had an interesting long name [instead of Doctor] ... mmm

And who sent/created the 2 robots? Curly and Quote... are they better than the rest of the army? When Booster says save Sakamoto's daughter... Was he referring to the mother or the father? So the island is actually a floating prison? Did Jenka create it? To keep Ballos away from the world? And did turning the Red Demon into /... Clay? Actually defeat him? Or just stop him for now?

I'll have some time to finish Cave Story later today... Then I'll feel I have all the facts ;)

Thanks again for the replies :O ;)

edit: Shmitz, oh :O I'll watch for this release ;)