There are probably hundreds of these posts but..

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I just started replaying the game and bought it for the switch. I realized I should have gotten it on steam for modding. Should I get it on steam or wait until I finish this playthrough? (Third Playthrough already).

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:43 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I would not recommend Cave Story + (the steam version) for modding, especially if you're first starting out. Use the original freeware version, its much much much more accessible modding-wise (most all the tools available are built to mod freeware anyways) and it will make your life much easier. Not to say you CAN'T mod Cave Story +, but it can be unnecessarily complicated in comparison to freeware mods.

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:41 AM
"Huzzah!"
like 2d said, freeware's better. really the most you can easily mod in CS+ is the graphics - accessibility/tool compatibility aside, it's a lot harder to distribute CS+ mods. with freeware you can just zip up and send the game folder, but since CS+ is a paid game, you can't exactly do that. there's ways to distribute it, of course, but to be brutally honest, you'll get way less people playing it

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:30 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks! Is there a specific site for mods that would be really good?

Feb 24, 2022 at 3:51 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Downloads for modding tools are on cavestory.org (I STRONGLY recommend Booster's Lab over Cave Editor unless you cant get BL to work), for showcasing finished mods you can just use the Showcase subforum here and/or doukutsu.club
there are some tutorials for modding around the forums if you look for them (these two threads might help), and if you have any questions to ask I recommend joining the Cave Story Modding Community Discord server

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks, Aqua! :D

Downloads for modding tools are on cavestory.org (I STRONGLY recommend Booster's Lab over Cave Editor unless you cant get BL to work), for showcasing finished mods you can just use the Showcase subforum here and/or doukutsu.club
there are some tutorials for modding around the forums if you look for them (these two threads might help), and if you have any questions to ask I recommend joining the Cave Story Modding Community Discord server
Shoot, okay. So I just wanna say first off, thanks for the help. But IDK if Boosters Lab will work on macOS. I have a PC if needed I just prefer working on a laptop you know. I can't find a tutorial for mac but if you know one would you mind sharing?

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
mac user here; booster's lab is cross-platform, so it runs perfectly fine on mac. however, you might have an issue with running the game itself - what version of OS X are you on?

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:20 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
As someone who has invested more time into streamlining the process of making mods accessible in CS+ than anyone else in the CS modding community that I know of, I will have to echo the sentiments of the posters before me that it's very limited and not very rewarding. If you really do want to mod CS+, then first at least learn the basics of modding freeware CS, because otherwise you'll be pretty lost when it comes to modding CS+. CS+ uses the same base engine and script/room/data files as the freeware version, it's all just structured differently. This post is probably a good starting point for understanding how CS+ modding works.

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:30 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
mac user here; booster's lab is cross-platform, so it runs perfectly fine on mac. however, you might have an issue with running the game itself - what version of OS X are you on?
12.2 macos montery

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM
"Huzzah!"
12.2 macos montery
hmm, you'd be better off using windows then... i use a program called wine to run the windows version of cave story freeware on my laptop for modding purposes, but as far as i know it doesn't work after 10.14/mojave due to apple dropping support for 32-bit applications. you could always mod the mac port, but the amount of people who even have access to a mac is fairly low so not many people'd play it either

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hmm, you'd be better off using windows then... i use a program called wine to run the windows version of cave story freeware on my laptop for modding purposes, but as far as i know it doesn't work after 10.14/mojave due to apple dropping support for 32-bit applications. you could always mod the mac port, but the amount of people who even have access to a mac is fairly low so not many people'd play it either
oh true, thanks. I got it to run, but not without it saying "MissingSFX, Missing-something else" yknow. I guess I will just do it on pc or run it bootcamp