New profile posts

oh hey, i found something fairly old, i made these a LONG time ago on my old laptop and wanted to keep them a secret but i have no use for them so i'd rather share
1646056841873.png
IdioticBaka1824
IdioticBaka1824
Aw, that's cute. Great job on capturing the features of the characters despite the low resolution.
Cibryll
Cibryll
I recognize… some of them, probably.
Reimu, Marisa, Yukari (?), not sure, Rumia, Eirin (?), unsure, Daiyousei (?), no clue, Suika, Kanako (?), Koakuma (?), Patchouli, Yuyuko (?), Suwako (?), Youmu (?), Sanae, no idea, Aya, forgot the name, Sakuya, Cirno, Meiling, Remilia, name forgotten, Byakurai (probably wrong though?) and Flandre.
Regardless, I think It's pretty amazing. =)
Hina
Hina
oh, it's >you<. have i not checked the forums on mobile i would have never known you even left comments anywhere because i had you on my ignored list apparently
ye, you got them right
Reimu, Marisa, Yukari, Hina
Rumia, Eirin, Kaguya, Daiyousei
Mokou, Suika, Kanako, Koakuma
Patchouli, Yuyuko, Suwako
Youmu, Sanae, Nitori
Aya, Kisume, Sakuya
Cirno, Meiling, Remilia
Kogasa, Byakuren, Flandre

thanks anyway
separate post since it's a different topic, but fun fact, i began my journey into cave story modding by messing around with editing sprites in CS+.

i may be pretty much exclusively a freeware modder these days, but i have not forgotten my roots! and also i have a terrible sense of humour!
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 3.28.45 pm.png
i've mostly been sticking to twitter/discord for evergreen updates but i figure i'll share these random screenshots here - been focusing recently on cleaning up some stuff, updating sprites, etc - hopefully i'll get a new demo out soon on discord so i can get feedback and release the next major update! the fungi await!

outside of fixing up old stuff and slowly working on incorporating the new, i've also been considering switching engines; at the moment i'm using freeware but at some point in the future i may switch to doukutsu-rs, as i like its lighting features and it would give me a lot more freedom when creating certain sequences i have planned for the later areas, hopefully allowing me to make them more impactful... the engine change won't be any time soon, of course, and i'm not 100% certain i will yet, but it's something i'm keeping in mind.
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 11.59.33 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-27 at 12.26.45 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-10 at 2.16.47 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-10 at 2.17.16 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-17 at 8.14.58 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.25.31 am.png

oh yes, and i've also updated the MC's sprites!
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 5.24.34 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-27 at 5.24.45 pm.png
IdioticBaka1824
IdioticBaka1824
Looking nice!
Just want to say that the really tall mushroom looks a bit weird - something about the stalk being too straight, or maybe the cap is a little too flat? Also the blue in the icy cave region seems just a tad bit too saturated.
The depiction of snow is really good though, it looks so soft and fluffy (that's what snow is supposed to be like, right? I'm not sure...) The variety of mushrooms in the mushroom cave tileset is also really neat and organic-looking!
Eli
Eli
thank you! i'll see what i can do about the stalk & ice colours. @Raymundo was the one who made 99% of the mushroom decoration tiles though, he did a great job lol
Imagine making a Cave Story mod, but you can't make sprites without them looking like complete shit, having a sprite artist that's too busy to make sprites for your mod most of the time, then try to ask a discord server with some people who are also good at sprites if anyone can cover for the other one, only to be fucking ignored.
2DBro
2DBro
settle for what you can make on your own before you go relying on other people for help
Eli
Eli
either learn how to do it yourself or find someone willing to do a trade in exchange for something you're good at - you were ignored because random people generally aren't going to want to work for you on top of their own creative projects/life without some kind of compensation.
Hina
Hina
oh no, i'm no good at sprites, sorry to disappoint
looking back at when i had just joined the forums, jesus christ i feel bad that you had to stand me. i suppose i shouldn't really be ashamed because i was young and stupid, but the cringe is still real ( :
Cibryll
Cibryll
To be honest, I feel even worse. ;-;
But as long as I've learned from all the mistakes I've made in the past, right?
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
I kinda love how everyone in the community had their cringe period in the forums, shows how much we evolved hehe.
Hina
Hina
character development!
I'm working on (another) port of the game JilJil, this time it will be more feature rich and, importantly, it will work on Android.
On that note, you can help me test and make sure the game is compatible with different devices on https://massivebox.net/jil .
Right now it's pre-mvp and you can't even play the base game without an external keyboard, but I'm working on making it a full mobile game.
We have ORG tags now?
IdioticBaka1824
IdioticBaka1824
You can embed ORGs by doing
Code:
[ORG]<link to org>[/ORG]
, if that's what you're talking about. It's been around for a couple months, I think
aight, the video i was working on is taking longer than usual, I'm gonna start another one, but I promise it'll be just as good. I just wanna end my hiatus, haha.
ghost trick is really good you should play it
Cibryll
Cibryll
As in, Ghost Trick - Phantom Detective? If so, then I can agree.
i really want to make a cave story mod but i have an extremely bad allergy to anything "technical"
IdioticBaka1824
IdioticBaka1824
You could do story writing or art or music, and collaborate with someone else who can do technical stuff
Any good (or great or excellent or awesome) freeware games?
(Other than the original Cave Story, of course. :b )
Eli
Eli
i've heard good things about iji, though i wasn't really able to get into it myself... OFF's another good one if you're into RPGs?
existingaccount
existingaccount
Space Funeral has a really cool story and is also really funny and even somewhat meaningful. It falls flat in gameplay, however.
OFF also has a really cool story and is absolutely unforgettable because of its amazing atmosphere. Even random encounters, which are really boring and annoying, have an interesting vibe because of the soundtrack and art.
Cibryll
Cibryll
Ooh, kinda forgot about this--
Haven't tried OFF, so that's definitely on my to-do list. :3

@Mister.Hex - er, what's Wadanorah?
hot take: terraria on console was at it's best when it was using the version released on xbox 360 / ps3. aka based on the original source code, with many changes made to the game to make it better for a console (like a full screen inventory UI, camera moving with the player, and many other minor changes)

idk if anyone else even played that version of terraria but it was really good and fun
Nerdieo
Nerdieo
this but also with minecraft. peak excitement was the console edition/pocket edition era due to how optimized those versions were. they were a peak inbetween of java and bedrock
Back