Your health/fitness regimens.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I thought I'd make this thread since I haven't seen a (recent) one similar to it and because I'll be finally renewing my gym membership soon.

So three questions: what do you do for fitness, what's your diet like, and what kind of metabolism/body types do you have?

Fitness: Ideally, I go to the gym between 5-6 times a week. I go for an hour, spending the first half hour on weights and the second on cardio. I alternate muscle groups with the weights and go pretty heavy, and alternate between running and biking for my cardio.

I should do more RPM and pump-style classes. I once did yoga religiously and became freakishly flexible. Will do that again sometime, too.

Diet: Primarily pescotarian. Seafood and grains (lentils, chickpeas, pearl barley) as protein sources. Garden salads. Noodle and rice dishes. About 1200 - 1400 calories a day although I'm not always counting. Small portions because my appetite isn't particularly large.

Metabolism: Stubborn, difficult to put on or lose weight. Taking weight loss pills to assist.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's impossible to gain weight, it's just not possible.
That's about it.

Just wait until woody gets his toned, muscley hands on this thread.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Fitness: Ideally, I go to the gym between 5-6 times a week. I go for an hour, spending the first half hour on weights and the second on cardio. I alternate muscle groups with the weights and go pretty heavy, and alternate between running and biking for my cardio.

You should do your cardio first, then the weight lifting. It's important to warm up the muscles before heavy lifting and such, better for muscle building as well maybe?

I go to the gym whenever my dad takes me, so my frequency ranges from once a week to once a month.

As for food I just eat whatever, and I guess I have a kick-ass metabolism since I don't ever gain weight really. I actually lost 5 pounds last week somehow.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM
That's about it.

Not a bad problem to have unless you like the particularly bulky look.

You should do your cardio first, then the weight lifting. It's important to warm up the muscles before heavy lifting and such, better for muscle building as well maybe?

I go to the gym whenever my dad takes me, so my frequency ranges from once a week to once a month.

As for food I just eat whatever, and I guess I have a kick-ass metabolism since I don't ever gain weight really. I actually lost 5 pounds last week somehow.

Yeah. Technically you're correct, and I do spend five minutes or so warming up before weights anyway. The reason why I do it in that order is that it's more conducive to fat/weight loss. Basically, if you do it correctly, your heart rate is already up and you can dive straight into running/hard biking and get more of a return on it. Although I'm actually not 100% sure if the "fat burning zone" is even really a thing.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yeah. Technically you're correct, and I do spend five minutes or so warming up before weights anyway. The reason why I do it in that order is that it's more conducive to fat/weight loss. Basically, if you do it correctly, your heart rate is already up and you can dive straight into running/hard biking and get more of a return on it. Although I'm actually not 100% sure if the "fat burning zone" is even really a thing.
I'd worry more about building muscle if I were you/wanting to lose weight. Muscle is not only more dense/smaller per pound, but muscle mass always consumes energy, so the more you have the more calories you will be burning, even as you sleep.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM
I'd worry more about building muscle if I were you/wanting to lose weight. Muscle is not only more dense/smaller per pound, but muscle mass always consumes energy, so the more you have the more calories you will be burning, even as you sleep.

Yeah, you're right. I might try switching it around for a week or two and see how I feel. After all, the reason you just stated is why I focus a lot of my time on weight training in the first place.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I play frisbee as a form of exercise.

I eat veggies and meat, but I'm thinking of whether it's possible to live on a meat only diet (lots of healthy fat intake + eating most parts of the animal, including organs).

Metabolism - weight is stable except over long periods of time.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I play frisbee as a form of exercise.

I eat veggies and meat, but I'm thinking of whether it's possible to live on a meat only diet (lots of healthy fat intake + eating most parts of the animal, including organs).

Metabolism - weight is stable except over long periods of time.

That's a good diet as it is.

The trouble with a meat-heavy or almost entirely meat diet is that there's no roughage/soluble fiber. Essentially, it causes constipation and eventually hemorrhoids for those prone to developing them. Elevated cholesterol is also a foreseeable problem, because eating too much meat and dairy does that.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Oh and grain is extremely healthy. No grain diets are mostly garbage - people have been eating grains for millennia and they are doing pretty well.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Diet: I eat much vegetables. Soup rocks. Pasta, bread, fat and sweets make you fat.

Losing weight: I can make anyone lose 77lbs (35 kilos) in 4 (max 4.5) months without health risk and with no exercise. I did it and I could keep my weight afterwards. I do not post the diet publicly, since I am not sure everyone would follow my advice on the "how to" which is required in order to avoid anaemia or collapsing. Also there is a wide age difference in these forums, different ages have different needs.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Fitness: I have a single weight that I sometimes carry around when bored.

Diet: No Gluten/Casein. I eat almost exclusively rice, general fruits/vegetables, and meat.

Metabolism/Weight: I have to eat a lot to not lose weight.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM
I pretty much solely eat carbohydrates, dairy, and meat (aka hamburger, chicken, and bacon). Most days I have popcorn and chocolate milk for breakfast, and I have pasta at least once a week. As for exercise, I play frosbee fall and spring, and run or bike when I feel like it. I dunno about weightgain/loss because I simply don't care, but I think I've remained around 180 for the last year or so.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Fitness: I attend hour long marital arts classes twice a week, and have done so for the past two years, and before that I was off and on. The classes consist of deep breathing to start, then stretches, then practicing things like kicks/ other things to build up strength/endurance, then usually forms or weapons. It's a good workout. I've walked about half an hour to and from school almost every day that I could, provided snow did't make it impassable or other complications related to time. I'm going to high school three towns over, so I'll be taking a special bus just for people in our town. Also I caddy almost every weekend, and for the past three trips have been carrying double bags. It makes my shoulders sore like hell, but it's worth the workout and cash.

Diet: Like 43501, I am a pescetarian. My diet pretty much consists of pizza, pesto ravioli, salmon, eggs (usually fried or in an omelette), perogies, pita chips, orange, mango, peach juice, lemonaid, salads, fruits, pine nuts, Rasin Bran, Cheerios, bread, and assorted other little things I may eat. But that's pretty much it. I primarily get my protein through the eggs, and things like peanut butter and things like sunflower seeds. I was vegetarian for around a year, and then I decided I would eat fish/seafood for extra nutrients and such.

Metabolism: I'm currently around 5'10'', 130-135 pounds, and relatively muscular for my age. I could stand to put on some weight.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM
meep
I sleep until 3 PM, skip breakfast and lunch, eat one to two additional meals of junk food throughout the night, and I go outside roughly once a month.
Fortunately I have a super metabolism, so I weight just under 120ish lbs. >:3

I have literally no muscle though.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The goverment wants you to eat:
p155765-0-9028036.png

If you want to be healthy (according to my mind) eat:
p155765-1-9028050.png

Carbohydrates are often overrated by goverment health institutions, because they are cheap.
"We produce wheat, rice (etc.) the most so eat that"
I side with the rebellion: invert the nutrition pyramid

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Member Title
TrickyBilly knows what's up, man. They've got it all figured out, man!

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I fucking love the person who made this topic! Anyways...

That's about it.

You're right about that, cultr!

Not sure about that one GIR. Yes, you should warm up your muscles, I agree with that part, you can just do that by doing a set with an empty barbell/very light weights. Unless it's REALLY light cardio (light as hell), there's no need to make your body tired before a heavy lifting session. Whether you're trying to gain/lose weight, lifting should be your main focus. Cardio just burns calories (unless you're doing it for the sole purpose of endurance), lifting produces more of some whack-ass hormone differences in your body that actually help build muscle (or maintain it, if you're losing weight). Not saying cardio doesn't have any value, but lifting actually helps you build some muscle that shapes your body and makes you look sexier/stronger/whatever your goals are.

Hell, cardio isn't even neccesary, if you use more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight.

Not a bad problem to have unless you like the particularly bulky look.

"fat burning zone" is a myth.

You're right, if you have muscle, your body will look better. It will be more "toned" (it's a stupid term). If you just lose weight while having 0 muscle to begin with, you will just look flabby, flimsy, frail, weak.

That's a good diet as it is.
The trouble with a meat-heavy or almost entirely meat diet is that there's no roughage/soluble fiber. Essentially, it causes constipation and eventually hemorrhoids for those prone to developing them. Elevated cholesterol is also a foreseeable problem, because eating too much meat and dairy does that.

If you wanna be a man, you gotta eat like a man.

Oh and grain is extremely healthy. No grain diets are mostly garbage - people have been eating grains for millennia and they are doing pretty well.

Yes, but people have been eating meat for even longer...Not saying you should eat nothing but meat though.

Diet: I eat much vegetables. Soup rocks. Pasta, bread, fat and sweets make you fat.
Losing weight: I can make anyone lose 77lbs (35 kilos) in 4 (max 4.5) months without health risk and with no exercise. I did it and I could keep my weight afterwards. I do not post the diet publicly, since I am not sure everyone would follow my advice on the "how to" which is required in order to avoid anaemia or collapsing. Also there is a wide age difference in these forums, different ages have different needs.

p155767-0-stevepulcinella17yearsold.jpg

And as for my health and fitness regimens, well, to keep it short, I lift weights. Started at winter. My diet has been total shit this summer (the beginning was good though), I barely get enough calories or protein. Still enough to maintain what I have, I also managed to gain some weight as well (probably in the beginning of summer, when I had nothing to do). I'm currently eating carefully, since I was bloated after a week of being in a village. Going to start training/eating intensely when autumn comes. I can't wait for it.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Aug 22, 2012 at 3:05 AM
Diet: Like 43501, I am a pescetarian. My diet pretty much consists of pizza, pesto ravioli, salmon, eggs (usually fried or in an omelette), perogies, pita chips, orange, mango, peach juice, lemonaid, salads, fruits, pine nuts, Rasin Bran, Cheerios, bread, and assorted other little things I may eat. But that's pretty much it. I primarily get my protein through the eggs, and things like peanut butter and things like sunflower seeds. I was vegetarian for around a year, and then I decided I would eat fish/seafood for extra nutrients and such.

(Thanks for that. My automatic spell check didn't register any variant of the word as an actual term.) That is also an incredibly good, well-rounded diet. I need to have a few more fruits in mine.

Conspiracy theories.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. When I started researching nutrition and asking my personal trainer for advice, I found that very little of it lined up with the food pyramid I was taught in school. And yeah, I don't think we need anywhere near as many grain/cereal products as the traditional food pyramid says. I'm not entirely sure if they should be up there with fats and oils, though.

I fucking love the person who made this topic! Anyways...

I love you too, WoodenRodent.

Not sure about that one GIR. Yes, you should warm up your muscles, I agree with that part, you can just do that by doing a set with an empty barbell/very light weights. Unless it's REALLY light cardio (light as hell), there's no need to make your body tired before a heavy lifting session. Whether you're trying to gain/lose weight, lifting should be your main focus. Cardio just burns calories (unless you're doing it for the sole purpose of endurance), lifting produces more of some whack-ass hormone differences in your body that actually help build muscle (or maintain it, if you're losing weight). Not saying cardio doesn't have any value, but lifting actually helps you build some muscle that shapes your body and makes you look sexier/stronger/whatever your goals are.

Hell, cardio isn't even neccesary, if you use more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight.

I've always wanted to hear that, because I seriously hate cardio. Running wrecks my knees and ankles even with proper technique and shoes, walking/biking for long periods makes me feel mentally unstimulated, etc etc. But, my heart is pretty weak, so I'm not sure if I should keep it up for that reason.

Either way, I've found that high-intensity interval training is worth it.

And as for my health and fitness regimens, well, to keep it short, I lift weights. Started at winter. My diet has been total shit this summer (the beginning was good though), I barely get enough calories or protein. Still enough to maintain what I have, I also managed to gain some weight as well (probably in the beginning of summer, when I had nothing to do). I'm currently eating carefully, since I was bloated after a week of being in a village. Going to start training/eating intensely when autumn comes. I can't wait for it.

Sounds good, so good luck. You might want to watch the protein though, if being all muscly is your goal. Thought about investing in a quality Whey Protein drink if you haven't already? If you're already using one and you're still falling under with your protein intake, I suggest LSA or tahini.

So the real question is

does she want to be a man?

I want my perfect hourglass figure back, dude. I do kinda have man shoulders though.