Your favorite Pokemon game

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Discuss your favorite Pokemon game/generation.
Mine is Fire Red, due to the fact that it was my introduction to the series, I also really like Soul Silver, cause of two regions and your Pokemon following you outside of there Pokeballs.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:44 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Favorite would be Sapphire/ Ruby. Second would be SoulSilver because they deeply improved on the amazing Silver Version.

...And I may as well list my least favorite. Black/ White. It made me never want to buy a new Pokemon game ( unless they make a remake of Sapphire/ Ruby :3 )

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:57 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Aug 22, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Been here way too long...
They're all so damn similar that your favorite should either be the latest and most improved one (Black or White) or whichever one you played as a kid. Although I grew up on gen II, I like my HeartGold more than the original game.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:19 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
They're all so damn similar that your favorite should either be the latest and most improved one (Black or White)

B/W are just really bad. I dunno, maybe because of the crappy map design, shitload of new pokemon, or crappy plot (as Noxid's comments kind of mentioned).

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:25 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Tpcool said:
B/W are just really bad. I dunno, maybe because of the crappy map design, shitload of new pokemon, or crappy plot (as Noxid's comments kind of mentioned).

I dunno, I didn't actually find anything wrong with Pokemon B/W. It had an actual morally based plot (I know it may seem "crappy" to those who are used to 'oh no team rocket beat them all and then beat the elite four' as a plotline to follow for a 20 hour game). There was nothing wrong with the map design at all, I haven't a clue what you're trying to reference. And did you just complain about them adding new pokemon?

Tpcool said:
shitload of new pokemon
Er.. isn't that what new Pokemon games, you know, are for? I'm not sure if you haven't been watching the series for the last 16 years, but...
That's kind of the general pattern they've been following.

So the pokemon weren't their "best." But are they really that worse than pokemon from Generations 1, 2, 3, and 4? That was full of pokemon named after real life animals, changing the name of an animal just slightly and calling it a new creation? Originality has never been Pokemon's strong suit.

Anyway, my favorite has got to be White.
Pokemon yellow is fun and nostalgia-licious, but I can only log a few hours on it before I get bored D:

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:31 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
My favorite game would have to either be LeafGreen/FireRed or the Red/Blue/Green (I don't have any of the three, but I have Yellow which is ok). I remember that practically my life from ages 6 1/2 to 8 1/2 was LeafGreen and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I still keep up with the series, and I'm disappointed with B/W. I'm probably not going to get the next game.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:43 AM
"Huzzah!"
Gotta be diamond for me guys.I play pokemon like any other RPG. I play it like Golden Sun or Tales of Symphonia. Just you know, for fun. Because the difference between doing well in singleplayer and doing will internationally is punctuated by months of your life, that you will never, ever get back.

So the single player experience is where ti starts and ends for me. And Diamond, i love for it. Mainly because it has two of the more memorable RPG moments in any RPG game i played. The whole scaling the mountain sequence, and all the figths upon it, leading to capturing whats his face. Then of course there was Cynthia... The best A.I. in pokemon in pokemon history, up to that point. And a killer team! Loved it i did ^^

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:47 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
cultr1 said:
I dunno, I didn't actually find anything wrong with Pokemon B/W. It had an actual morally based plot (I know it may seem "crappy" to those who are used to 'oh no team rocket beat them all and then beat the elite four' as a plotline to follow for a 20 hour game).
Meh, now that I think about it, the plot wasn't awful, but was my least favorite so far nontheless.
cultr1 said:
There was nothing wrong with the map design at all.
Well you might not have understood what I meant, I meant the MAP map. The routes you traveled in were good fun, as the caves, but the design of the map itself had no variety. If you've seen Hoenn's map, it was crazy. Shit everywhere.

cultr1 said:
And did you just complain about them adding new pokemon? Er.. isn't that what new Pokemon games, you know, are for? I'm not sure if you haven't been watching the series for the last 16 years, but...
That's kind of the general pattern they've been following.

Not the pokemon added, but the amount. At this point I just can't keep up, the most they have added in one region. Did they really have to bring in THAT many new pokemon? Not to mention the amount of legendaries they have now, sheesh.

I might have been nitpicking, whatever D:

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:09 AM
Yes, they did have to add that many Pokemon. I don't see you complaining about how the first games had A HUNDRED AND FIFTY ONE POKEMON OMG TOO MANY.
And complaining about the cartography of the game is pretty stupid, it's not like it's an important part of Pokemon.
Do you know what else is stupid? Saying that Pokemon has a crappy plot. Of course it does. Every Pokemon game since Red/Blue has had a silly plot that's just an excuse to send you to the Elite Four and not bore you to death. If you really want to talk about Pokeplots, at least B/W isn't as dumb as R/S. Come on, guys. "We're going to get rid of the ocean." That's the worst motivation ever.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:30 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Look.
The ONLY game with really great map design was gen 3. It stuck deserts and ash and shiz everywhere. I think gen 5 is probably a bit better than gen 4, to be honest. Gen 1 and 2 get passes because age.
And they did make an attempt to allow you to keep track of the new pokemon. They prevented you from getting old ones. The new ones were there to be refreshing, and not remind you of old ones.
I don't understand what is so disappointing about B/W. At all.
Except random difficulty spike after N but what now.
Anyway, favorite is probably Soulsilver because gen 2 + actually cool Kanto now.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:47 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
Yes, they did have to add that many Pokemon. I don't see you complaining about how the first games had A HUNDRED AND FIFTY ONE POKEMON OMG TOO MANY.
And complaining about the cartography of the game is pretty stupid, it's not like it's an important part of Pokemon.
Do you know what else is stupid? Saying that Pokemon has a crappy plot. Of course it does. Every Pokemon game since Red/Blue has had a silly plot that's just an excuse to send you to the Elite Four and not bore you to death. If you really want to talk about Pokeplots, at least B/W isn't as dumb as R/S. Come on, guys. "We're going to get rid of the ocean." That's the worst motivation ever.

If I try to explain my opinion any furthur I'll probably end up getting myself killed. Conclusion: It's personal to me and only I would understand it.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:56 AM
Nostalgia.
If you're old enough for that.

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:05 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Reminds me of Touhou plots (someone stole the moon and replaced it with a fake one, a god is trying to steal my faith, etc.)

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:14 AM
Touhou 8's plot sucks (A moon? What stupid motivation...) and it has too many characters. 8! And that's in addition to the bosses and shit.
And all the games scenes are at night. Where's the variation like in PCB where all the scenes were either in winter or the Netherworld. God.
Ergo Touhou 8 is the worst.
Except many fans believe it to be the best Touhou game. (Albeit definitely the easiest.)

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:24 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
Nostalgia.
If you're old enough for that.
Errr... was that directed towards me? -_-"

Madotsuki said:
Touhou 8's plot sucks (A moon? What stupid motivation...) and it has too many characters. 8! And that's in addition to the bosses and shit.
And all the games scenes are at night. Where's the variation like in PCB where all the scenes were either in winter or the Netherworld. God.
Ergo Touhou 8 is the worst.
Except many fans believe it to be the best Touhou game. (Albeit definitely the easiest.)

Alright, I get it!

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM
I saw a chance for sarcasm man. SARCASM.
(butchered it but whatevs)

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM
YOU ARE NO LONGER TALKING ABOUT TOUHOU.

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:20 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I thought half the fun in video games was that the plot could be simple/stupid and the game still fun.

Anyways I still have yet to play through a pokeyman game. Maybe you guys could recommend one for me. Maybe not.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:38 AM
Play the latest version. They get slightly improved with every generation.
Or if you don't want to buy it, play the first gen.