Would Ballos have died in the second ending after the island crash landed on the Surface?

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Stop me if this has been asked already. I'm just a curious person.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Based Member
Some believe that the crash would have killed him, others believe that it would have just crushed his body but not killed him... I, however, think that he'd be fine. So many other inhabitants of the island were fine. The robots in the Power Room in Grasstown were fine. Jenka was fine. If you did things right, Booster even visits her. Aside from what looks like a few injured Gaudis, everyone in the Labyrinth is fine. And I don't think those new flowers in the graveyard planted themselves. People tend to over hype the damage of the island falling to the surface, saying that everyone on it died, when in truth, all the areas and its inhabitants are shown to be in one piece in the credits for the normal ending. What makes Ballos any different? Also, for all we know, the island could have landed on water, so that would explain how it remained intact.

Here's a theory of mine that expands on a combination of some other theories I've read:
After Ballos initially burned the kingdom to the ground, his magical fury then evolved into an emition of darkness that uncontrollably spread from him. If it wasn't contained soon, it would spread to the whole world, and kill everyone on earth. Knowing this could happen, Jenka dueled and won against Ballos, transporting him and a large portion of the kingdom to the floating island where he was contained. In order to help keep Ballos contained, she created the Core which would counteract his presence, and posted the Gaudi to keep it guarded.

When the Core was destroyed, Ballos' fury drove the island down to the surface and made it land on the water. But that was just the beginning of the tragedy. With the island back on the surface and little to contain Ballos' magical rage, his spread of darkness continued once again. His darkness spread slowly throughout the island, killing every living being on it, until none remained. Then, when all the island was covered in darkness, it spread to the whole world, driving all life on it to extinction... That is, unless there was someone who would be able to put a stop to Ballos before all of his darkness could have spread. Perhaps if one could defeat him before it began spreading, then all of the dark magic generated by him would be vanquished, and he would cease to be a threat.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
That is a very good theory. I think he would have lived.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
"Would Ballos have died in the second ending?"

Yes, technically. Ballos would probably have died the moment he was freed... if he hasn't died already long, long ago.

I assume the wild magic was siphoned off by the Core or maybe the chamber just prevented it from escaping... (well too much). If the seal chamber breaks, then the Wild Magic would probably cloud whatever sanity is left in Ballos.

I mean how sane could Ballos be? Depending on your theory of how long he has been sealed away. Being stuck in a room of dead bodies, probably devoid of company; probably doesn't need to eat, sleep, drink...
He'd probably lose almost any trace of humanity he had left! (Though when Quote showed up, maybe it finally allowed him to show a trace of what he was? Still he attacks hardcore, even if he wanted to die.)
Unless, maybe Ballos has been asleep all this time, in his throne? Maybe dreaming about the island. (Was that eye door, Ballos' sleeping power? Watching the hero?)

And after the Core stopped absorbing his power, he was forced awake to his insanity, and soon after transformed into that giant rock with a face...

Maybe Ballos would end up as a super red mist, able to possess anything and cause major havoc, while corrupting the land and the people he passes by... Probably unstoppable...

But, since he was in the undamaged Seal Prison when he went Red Mist, he probably was contained by the prison and eliminated at long last? Or he possessed the prison and it imploded or something crazy... (Or the dead of his kingdom dragged him to his end... After all, Jenka deals with the dead... I think)

Anyway, I think Ballos would have died; but the Wild Magic would become The Red. A mist that turns people into monsters.

... I, however, think that he'd be fine. So many other inhabitants of the island were fine.
Maybe the impact of the island's fall wouldn't damage the interior and top of the island much. After all, the island floated down slowly... maybe suggesting, my theory that those little Cores would have supported the island if Ballos hadn't been forcing it to fall.
But, Ballos' seal chamber looked like it was near the bottom or edge of the island, since you could actually see the outside, in the ghost dog passageway to the seal chamber. Perhaps, the island could have hit precisely in that area during the impact; scraping against those mountains you see in the background during the island's falling scene.

Maybe for those who believe Jenka responsible for stopping the island's fall; could argue that Ballos was pressing down on that one particular point, dragging the island down. And Jenka did all she could to minimize the damage to the rest of the island, and its inhabitants.

Bunches of possibilities...

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Based Member
X-Calibar said:
After all, the island floated down slowly...
I always assumed that the island's slow fall on screen was just due to the fact that it was far away, and that it was falling just as fast as any object of its mass, size, and shape would.

X-Calibar said:
Perhaps, the island could have hit precisely in that area during the impact; scraping against those mountains you see in the background during the island's falling scene.
You don't know that it landed in mountains. The island's crash is not heard until it disappears behind the trees. For all we know, it could have landed on water.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Doesn't matter. Freedom? Death? Either outcome is a win as far as Ballos is concerned.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
He'd survive because he's too powerful.

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM
War criminal
But the island was already floating before Ballos was sent. The Core was made to counteract his power. Which is why the island falls when the Core is destroyed, which Misery knew what would happen in the first place, and when Ballos was killed, the island stopped falling, remaining to float in the sky.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Based Member
I don't think that any of the replies to this thread so far have really conflicted with anything you just said.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM
War criminal
Whoops! Heh heh. I'm horrible at skimming through. :p

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I think Ballos would have survived the crash for three reasons.
1.) Misery can teleport long distances, and since Ballos is much more powerful than Misery, I think it's safe to assume that he could have the same ability, enabling him to teleport safely away.
2.) In the battle against him, he is shown to be capable of flying, providing an easy way for him to escape.
3.) Many of the island's inhabitants were shown to have survived the landing in the credits. If Malco and some Gaudis survived, then I think it's safe to say that Ballos would have survived, too.

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM
"Huzzah!"
Turbocharge said:
I think Ballos would have survived the crash for three reasons.
1.) Misery can teleport long distances, and since Ballos is much more powerful than Misery, I think it's safe to assume that he could have the same ability, enabling him to teleport safely away.
2.) In the battle against him, he is shown to be capable of flying, providing an easy way for him to escape.
3.) Many of the island's inhabitants were shown to have survived the landing in the credits. If Malco and some Gaudis survived, then I think it's safe to say that Ballos would have survived, too.
I agree.
So I guess it's also safe to say that he would have still been evil and the spell (on misery) would have not been lifted. :balrog:

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM
War criminal
Misery however, died in the second ending, considering her being knocked out for such a long time and then the island crashed.

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Based Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I have no reason to doubt Misery's death. She was required to serve the bearer, present and future, so she would do anything to ensure that the island does not fall because that is the nature of her curse. She convinces Quote to leave for Sue's sake in order to keep the island in the sky. Misery is in this case compelled to keep Ballos imprisoned and alive in order to keep the crown powered for the next bearer. Ballos wants to be free and/or dead. Misery's compulsion places her in the unfortunate situation where she will, with Ballos' own magic, struggle to fight Ballos' attempt to drag the island to the ground, and unsuccessfully at that, until she dies.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, there is a very easy answer to that question. He did, but he came back to life about five minutes later.

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Misery however, died in the second ending, considering her being knocked out for such a long time and then the island crashed.
I think she didn't die in the second ending. Because even if she's knocked out, there's Balrog. He'd probably take care of her.

We hadn't seen him in a while, so it's possible he had just been watching or hanging around to see how things played out, or maybe for Misery to come around to Quote and Curly's side (sort of).
Balrog was probably unable to disobey the Doctor, but if he didn't recieve any orders... it seemed like he was able to do things he wasn't supposed to; like help them escape the labyrinth after losing to them.
And after beating Misery, she was angry to see the Doctor still alive kinda, so I think the Crown's control was probably weak at the time of the Undead Core's battle.
And if Sue can survive Quote Super Missile + Spur, then Misery probably can again...

(Also, in the best ending, we know that Misery communicated to Balrog somehow, telling him to go save you. The question is, when did she talk to him. Was it after Ballos is defeated, and Balrog just flys through walls that fast to save you? Or did Misery talk to Balrog ahead of time?

IF Misery talks to Balrog ahead of time, then there's a good chance Misery is up and about in the second ending, as only a few things have changed between the good and best ending while the island is falling.
However, if Misery only wakes up in the case that Ballos is defeated; and maybe there's enough time to come to her senses, talk to Balrog; and tell him to go save you... Then maybe she was unconscious and didn't survive.)

And then there's the possiblity, even if she died; that maybe as long as the Curse continued, maybe she wouldn't really have died. Just like the Crown would come back again, and again as long as Ballos lived; maybe Misery and Balrog are too in the same immortal curse.

Quote defeats Balrog multiple times and he seems fine, and Misery is defeated once and is fine... And who knows how many times she might have died while serving the other Crown Bearers over the years? Did she just luck out and has never died, while the Crown Bearers died instead?

Or does she die, and then respawns in a bubble..? Or does the Crown's regeneration bring them there, into that state? Or is that just how Misery likes to sleep? In a weightless bubble...

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Based Member
X-Calibar said:
...respawns in a bubble... Or does the Crown's regeneration bring them there, into that state?
That was always my impression.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM
War criminal
True that she'll tell Balrog about what's gonna happen to Quote and Curly Brace in the third ending, whether you choose to be in Hell for 2'46", or just 48'16" (any random time, I mean to say). That island surely must be past the moon if you choose to go that long.