Why does Quote wake up in the Start Point?

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
That's all I really wanna know.

How did he get there?
Was he put there?
:confused:
Thanks,Mevon.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
He must have been put there by the Cthulu.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, I have the scene almost fully fleshed out in my mind how Quote and Curly fight Miakid together, wound him but ultimately lose, and how Quote and Curly get separated and both of them get knocked out. Let's hope I turn out to be a dedicated enough modder for everyone to find out how exactly it plays out in my mind. Until then, I'll just generally say that he got too powerful and they had to flee. Quote took cover in the start point, and Curly ran away into the Sand Zone. There is one minor inaccuracy about that description in comparison to how I have it in my mind, but if I corrected that, I'd be getting too in depth.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM
Been here way too long...
Well it would be pretty silly to have a Start Point if Quote didn't start there, now wouldn't it?

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:30 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Quote was likely shifted into existence at the mysterious Start Point. Before this, Quote was probably to BE Curly Brace, or at least Curly Brace had not been part of existence yet. (Quote might have very well been named Curly Brace)

So basically, when Curly Brace, the female robot we all know and love, was brought into existence... Quote was... displaced, the world split, and things became a very different alternate reality. You might think that our "Cave Story" to be the only possiblity. But, before Quote was brought to Start Point, there was a Beta Reality, and maybe an Alpha Reality.

Why did things change? Was it for the best?

In any case, I believe Quote is the only Traveller that remains from those earlier realities. And perhaps the reason he has amnesia, is because this is not his original world, not the one he'd known and lived in. Everything here is similar... yet different. So, he might as well just say, that he has amnesia if nothing is the same.
And it's probably why he doesn't try to use the Ma Pignon on himself. There wasn't anything for him to recall, because he is a guest in the shoes of the supposed "Quote" that should have been from this existence.

PrtPhoto.gif

It's a theory anyways!

If you want answers to why Quote ended up there... There has to be some connection to the Gunsmith. If not for the Gunsmith, Quote would be locked within First Cave, unable to escape. That singular monster door will not allow Quote to escape otherwise. There must be some reason a world class gunsmith and a world class robot just happen to be sealed in a cave together...

Also what is the shape of First Cave? Is it the shape of a tanuki (japanese racoon dog)? Could that have any significance?

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oh. Wow. They used old Prof Booster's design for the hermit gunsmith. I didn't even realize until you juxtaposed your theory with that beta screen, X-Calibar.

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM
The Eternal Darkness
Wouldn't alternate realities cause some sort of paradox that would cause chaos?

Anyway, here's my theory.

Miakid was too powerful for Quote and Curly, and they were defeated. Then someone unknown defeats Miakid and takes Quote to the First Cave, and Curly to the Sand Zone. Neither remembers anything (except that Curly remembered her name) and after she eats the Ma Pignon, she remembers that she and Quote were fighting Miakid, but that's as far as she could remember.

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Pherhaps start point and the sand zone were very far apart, and Miakid thought that if Q&C were sperated, they would be less of a threat. So he teleported(or had Misery) them there.

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
X-Calibar's theory make great ideas for a Homestuck crossover (minus characters)

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think Quote was beaten up and knocked out. That explains the amnesia and the 3hp. You don't expect that Quote has fought with 3hp earlier

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Even if Miakid was still alive, dosent that mean there's a second demon crow?

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Based Member
That explains the amnesia and the 3hp.
That is quite a possiblity.

You don't expect that Quote has fought with 3hp earlier
However, that is not necessarily the case. Curly says that when you and she fought him, you were far out of your league. Now this wouldn't make much sense for Quote and Curly TOGETHER to be unable to defeat a Demon Crown bearer with much more health seeing as how Quote later proves himself capable of defeating one on his own (the Doctor). That, and that they together are capable of defeating the sorcerer who created the Demon Crown (Ballos). And I'd bet my bottom dollar that Ballos is more powerful than any other Demon Crown bearer. Therefore, Quote and Curly would have to have had some sort of limitations for their combined forces to be unable to defeat Miakid. I, personally, always thought 3 hp was one of those limitations. Although I guess the lack of a good arsenal could have contributed to that unpreparedness as well. Now I'm not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily why he wakes up with 3 hp.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM
The Eternal Darkness
The Demon Crown wearers wear the same Demon Crown.
There is only one Demon Crown.
If Miakid was still alive, then the Doctor wouldn't have worn the Crown until Miakid was defeated by someone.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
So we had Demon Crones, the evil hags from hell.
Now we have Demon Crows, which would try to peck everybody's eyes out.

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
HaydenStudios said:
However, that is not necessarily the case. Curly says that when you and she fought him, you were far out of your league. Now this wouldn't make much sense for Quote and Curly TOGETHER to be unable to defeat a Demon Crown bearer with much more health seeing as how Quote later proves himself capable of defeating one on his own (the Doctor). That, and that they together are capable of defeating the sorcerer who created the Demon Crown (Ballos). And I'd bet my bottom dollar that Ballos is more powerful than any other Demon Crown bearer. Therefore, Quote and Curly would have to have had some sort of limitations for their combined forces to be unable to defeat Miakid. I, personally, always thought 3 hp was one of those limitations. Although I guess the lack of a good arsenal could have contributed to that unpreparedness as well. Now I'm not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily why he wakes up with 3 hp.
Mmm... well, about having trouble against Miakid. The Doctor as somewhat dangerous as he was, was... or in my opinion, just a normal guy. Maybe a bit wimpy, but smart, and cunning... probably. With the Crown, he gained some interesting powers... but for the most part I assume it's the Crystal (and Misery / Balrog) that he relies on.

Now my theory is that Miakid is probably a General or someone who knows how to actually wage battle. Plus he's hecka macho man, without a crystal. Plus in my theory I'm led to believe that he has experience dealing with robots, and is most likely the one giving the orders directly to the robots.

And, I always assumed that The War, wasn't a quick skirmish where the countries united to quickly defeat the Mimiga. I mean with how Booster and the others referred to the War, and why there aren't any occupying forces on the island tens years later, leads me to theorize the War lasted a decent amount of time. Then, knowing Quote and Curly, I would say they only spent a few days on the island before they would have engaged in battle against Miakid as Curly describes...

Meaning that I assume Miakid didn't die out right, and assuming he was alive waging the War, then he lived past the encounter with both Q and C. However we DO know he died... And perhaps that the Crown was not completely destroyed? As the opening scene of Cave Story is of a large skull with a Demon Crown on top...

In that case, I believe that Miakid must be a superior modern enemy, compared to the ruckus the Doctor attempted to cause. [Though in the Doctor's defense, if he had perfected the Crystal and used it on humans indiscriminately...]

Anyway, I assume the Demon Crown "grants the user monsterous power", as stated, although we never really saw that power, besides controlling Misery and Balrog. If Miakid were a perfect warrior, and he learned to use that "monsterous power"... Mmmmm, perhaps he would be an enemy that even Q and C couldn't handle at the time?
(If Q and C were damaged horribly, did they "auto-repair" over a lonng period of time? That seems kind of convenient, although semi-possible. I might theorize that someone may have aided them, made them into greater fighters than they were even then. I only guess this because, Curly lives apparently right under Jenka's protection; and Quote apparently lies nextdoor to mr. random genius gunsmith...)

As for Ballos, he does WANT to die. My theory is, I don't think he's really trying to kill you, as so much as he can't stop himself. So, far as we know Ballos is being super easy on you, containing his magic to the best of his ability so that Quote and Curly can finish him off... I mean the image of him burning down his kingdom in a single night, doesn't quite fit with the level of attack he uses on Quote. The lightning could start fires here and there, and he could go rock monster and roll around his kingdom... but I get the feeling it was something much more devastating. I mean even the Core seemed to have a more powerful attack than Ballos. [The Orb of doom attack.] Also there's the fact that you're fighting within the Seal Chamber, which I assume limits his magical power somewhat? Otherwise I'd think he'd just break free...

If that theory is somewhat correct, than I wonder what a real Ballos battle would have been like...

Alternatively related to Miakid, there's the little known power of Cutscene Magic! Where Quote can be stomped by Balrog and incapacitated even if you're Johnny Wonder, taking 0 damage throughout the game, with all weapons and powerups. Perhaps Miakid had a trick up his sleeve when things were going south for him...

"NOW BALROG! USE CUTSCENE STOMP!" Q and C : "Noooooooooo ;_;"

Back to the original topic : Why does Quote wake up in the Start Point...
What if Quote were entombed there? Left for dead? It does seem like an oddly shaped chamber, not some kind of collapsed looking area.... He could have been secretly buried as a hero, never expected to wake up again.

For instance if some Mimiga from Mimiga Town (... say... Arthur?) Knew Quote at that time, despite even if he was a hero, could he have been buried properly in the Mimiga Graveyard? Robots slaughtered countless Mimiga. Even if he *was* different, those that are left would undoubtably hold some kind of grudge against robots... At least the ones that didn't know him.

All just theories...
@ Hayden - too bad I never made that Cloud Story mod detailing my version of these events from that time... I have it pretty much worked out, just missing the actual game ><
Haven't given up on it though, but I have little to show for it!

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Nobody knows...

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
i think Miakid unleashed 1.000.000+ raging mimigas that's why quote loses to miakid. (Stupid Theory Eh?)

Back to the topic:
maybe after quote loses to miakid some mimiga finded him,healed him and place him there. (Still a stupid theory)

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I honestly think that the secret lies in the LOCATION the battle against miakid took place in. Maybe it had access to the waterways? Its entierly possible Quote got into the start point thanks to the water current. The water below platform and dripping from the ceiling support my theory.
And Curly, she was seperated, similiarry to how she got seperated when you were saving her (appeared in plantation)

tl;dr: They escaped and fell into water ways and then they almost drowned but didn't and fell unconcious. kthnxbai

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:11 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
...I believe Quote is the only Traveller that remains from those earlier realities. And perhaps the reason he has amnesia, is because this is not his original world, not the one he'd known and lived in. Everything here is similar... yet different. So, he might as well just say, that he has amnesia if nothing is the same.
And it's probably why he doesn't try to use the Ma Pignon on himself. There wasn't anything for him to recall, because he is a guest in the shoes of the supposed "Quote" that should have been from this existence.

If you want answers to why Quote ended up there... There has to be some connection to the Gunsmith. If not for the Gunsmith, Quote would be locked within First Cave, unable to escape. That singular monster door will not allow Quote to escape otherwise. There must be some reason a world class gunsmith and a world class robot just happen to be sealed in a cave together...
I think Quote was perhaps sealed by magic into the First Cave. I don't know who did, but I think the one capable of doing such would be Misery.

- or -

The Gunsmith appears to have no connection whatsoever. It might be the Gunsmith decided to live by himself alone (he thinks his knowledge of gun-making could be used for either good or bad), in a dangerous First Cave full of bats and critters. When Quote was sent for the mission, he may have fought for long, and for some reason he'll lose his weapon somewhere. Hearing the rumors of a gunsmith nearby, he goes to the First Cave, only to be attacked by bats and critters, until his HP is reduced to a small amount. He soon finds a small inner cave in the First Cave with a terminal (the powerups) and goes to regenerate his health.

Simultaneously, Miakid is defeated. The only reason why Quote wakes up is because he heard Kazuma's transmission asking for help, and he decided it is his 'side mission' to rescue humans, such as Kazuma.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, here's what we know.
1. Quote wakes up in the first cave without any memory of who he is, what he is, or how he got here.
2. Ballos has been trapped in the island since it was created.
3. Ballos is a man of extraordinary magical talent.

This is just my theory, but I think the whole turn of events with Quote being in EXACTLY the right place at EXACTLY the right time* was something that was entirely set up by our grandmaster inside the island so that, in turn, Quote would eventually kill him and lift the curse of the Demon Crown. That's just my theory.

*By exactly the right time I mean when Toroko is kidnapped.