Why does Quote wake up in the Start Point?

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I am surprised that none of you so far have mentioned it. Before you fight the Core the first time, a robot says something about Team 8 or, 7 or, 9. I think that Curly and Quote are two survivors of team whatever. The damage done to Quote after being defeated must of made him lose his memory and a significant amount of health. His health was scattered around the island as Heart Containers. Quote's weapon(s) at the time were made out of different weapons, explaining the Snake and the Spur. Some weapons had to be destroyed or looted because in a normal game you cannot have the Snake and the Spur. The Spur's pieces were shattered, leaving only the pieces of the Polar Star. The Hermit tried to repair the Spur but did not have enough materials. I am going to add on to this later.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
WarCheif said:
I am surprised that none of you so far have mentioned it. Before you fight the Core the first time, a robot says something about Team 8 or, 7 or, 9. I think that Curly and Quote are two survivors of team whatever. The damage done to Quote after being defeated must of made him lose his memory and a significant amount of health. His health was scattered around the island as Heart Containers. Quote's weapon(s) at the time were made out of different weapons, explaining the Snake and the Spur. Some weapons had to be destroyed or looted because in a normal game you cannot have the Snake and the Spur. The Spur's pieces were shattered, leaving only the pieces of the Polar Star. The Hermit tried to repair the Spur but did not have enough materials. I am going to add on to this later.
Must've been a scene wherein Quote "bleeds" Life Capsule. Somehow I disagree in this idea,

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
It's where he ended up after the battle with Miakid

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Shane said:
Wouldn't alternate realities cause some sort of paradox that would cause chaos?
Alternate realities is a concept that was thought up in the first place to negate paradoxes, so no.
Paradoxes does not exist. If any quantum theory cause a paradox that means they're wrong at something.

At least that's the current truth. Quantum physic theories can be disproved or misinterpreted.

EDIT: Also Paradoxes contradict the Theory of Contradiction.

EDIT 2: And this metaphysic talk is neither here nor there. I'm just stating for that Shane's point is invalid.

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The labyrinth is the 'trash heap' of the island.

The labyrinth is also connected to an aquatic area by a suspiciously familiar dark-blue cavern area.

Water is also in-game demonstrated to cause amnesia, even after proper draining.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Maybe the start point was full of water and gradually dried up over the last 10 years.

My theory:
I suspect that after Curly and Quote were defeated they were teleported away to random locations by Misery. Quote got the short stick and was drowned and then flooded for the last 10 years by being teleported unconscious into water while Curly woke up among the Colons/Korons.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Wow yeah that's completely possible Andwhy good theory.

I never thought about Misery being involved in their locations. Maybe that's how Quote and Curly ended up in completely different zones! You would think if Quote was unconscious infront of Misery she would finish the job, we know she's capable of it. But just like in the Sand Zone after Quote gets ambushed by Balrog, Misery chooses to teleport him away rather than finishing him off with a lightning bolt or something.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Misery did not know Quote.
Unless she and Balrog will lose their memory every time they change their master.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM
She at least knows Curly

Right after the Toroko fight and Balrog attacks Quote she says to him "You remind me of the one back then too a robot who..."

I actually forget the rest of the quote, think it had something to do with the robot being annoyingly persistant. havent played the game in awhile lol

but anyway she was talking about Curly.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Can we be certain of that? Couldn't it be possible that she did mean Quote and simply didn't realize that "Mr. Traveler" and Quote are one and the same?
She could have made that mistake since 1) identical robots can easily be made and 2) she probably thought Quote to be long dead.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I'm certain of it.

In Cave Story+ In Curly Story after the same moment of defeating Toroko (as Curly) Misery identifies Curly as "the one back then" as apposed to what she said to Quote, "You remind me of the one back then"

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Jesvice.
You do have a point. out of all the robots we see in the game [in the labyrinth and the core room]
Curly and Quote seem to be unique. Also, one of the Cthulu in CS+
Asks Quote "Where's your blonde pal" as if he recognizes Quote specifically.
Duke Serkol, I don't think that more Curlies or Quotes were created. And following this mentality, if she thought Quote was dead, how does it explain how he turned up out of nowhere?

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Based Member
Jesvice said:
She at least knows Curly

Right after the Toroko fight and Balrog attacks Quote she says to him "You remind me of the one back then too a robot who..."

I actually forget the rest of the quote, think it had something to do with the robot being annoyingly persistant. havent played the game in awhile lol

but anyway she was talking about Curly.
When you play Cave Story as Quote, this is what Misery says:
Misery in the AGTP translation said:
You remind me of the one back then. A tough little robot just like you...
Misery in the NICALiS translation said:
There was one back then, too. A tough little robot like you...
So if you're playing as Quote, then it sounds like Misery is just talking about some robot she met ten years ago. Not necessarily either Quote or Curly to her own awareness, just some other robot.
But when you're playing Curly Story, Misery refers to Quote.
Misery said:
There was one back then, too. A tough little robot like you... He had a red cap and was more persistent than even you.
So when you play as Quote, it's left up in the air who she's talking about, but in Curly Story, she's referring specifically to Quote. Whether she's talking about their encounter minutes ago when she took the Colons from Quote, or ten years back is a bit unclear to me, but I suppose she did say "back then". I suppose you could try to extrapolate that since she's referring to Quote in Curly Story, that in regular Cave Story she's talking about Curly, but that's a bit of a stretch for me since she's much more specific in Curly Story than in regular Cave Story.

Duke Serkol said:
Couldn't it be possible that she did mean Quote and simply didn't realize that "Mr. Traveler" and Quote are one and the same?
She could have made that mistake since 1) identical robots can easily be made and 2) she probably thought quote to be long dead.
That is a good point.

Jesvice said:
In Cave Story+ In Curly Story after the same moment of defeating Toroko (as Curly) Misery identifies Curly as "the one back then" as apposed to what she said to Quote, "You remind me of the one back then"
As stated above, she in fact does not refer to Curly as the one back then. Rather, she is referring to Quote.

Scythian said:
Duke Serkol, I don't think that more Curlies or Quotes were created. And following this mentality, if she thought Quote was dead, how does it explain how he turned up out of nowhere?
He wasn't implying that there were copies of Quote an Curly. He was implying that Misery may have thought there could be more Quotes and Curlys, which would help promote the theory that Quote and Curly met Balrog and Misery ten years ago, but that they didn't recognize them.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Oh that's right. So she was refering to Quote and therefor knew him ok.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Veteran Member
HaydenStudios said:
So when you play as Quote, it's left up in the air who she's talking about, but in Curly Story, she's referring specifically to Quote. Whether she's talking about their encounter minutes ago when she took the Colons from Quote, or ten years back is a bit unclear to me, but I suppose she did say "back then". I suppose you could try to extrapolate that since she's referring to Quote in Curly Story, that in regular Cave Story she's talking about Curly, but that's a bit of a stretch for me since she's much more specific in Curly Story than in regular Cave Story.
Wow, that is a great find! Never thought anything useful storyline-wise would come out of "Curly mode".

He wasn't implying that there were copies of Quote an Curly. He was implying that Misery may have thought there could be more Quotes and Curlys, which would help promote the theory that Quote and Curly met Balrog and Misery ten years ago, but that they didn't recognize them.
Yup, that's what I meant, thanks for clearing it up :)

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Based Member
Duke Serkol said:
Wow, that is a great find! Never thought anything useful storyline-wise would come out of "Curly mode".
Thanks. I just realized something though. Maybe you (all) were already thinking this, but I'll just post this here for posterity since I didn't cover this in my post above.

Misery in the AGTP translation said:
You remind me of the one back then. A tough little robot just like you...
Misery in the NICALiS translation said:
There was one back then, too. A tough little robot like you...
Misery in Curly Mode said:
There was one back then, too. A tough little robot like you... He had a red cap and was more persistent than even you.
At first it was my belief that in regular Cave Story Misery's either referring to Curly, or it's left up in the air. The reason for this being that since Quote and Curly are switched around in Curly mode, she would be talking about Curly in regular CS when she's talking about Quote in Curly Story. But clinging to this theory would raise the question: In Curly Story, why does Misery got to the trouble to describe how different the robot from back then was from the one you're playing as, but not go into detail about it in regular Cave Story? In regular Cave Story, why didn't she add onto the end of it something like: "She had blonde hair, and was almost as persistent as you."?

Now after looking more carefully and thinking it over, I'm wanting to say that in both instances, Misery is referring to Quote when she talks about the robot from back then. I believe this because when Curly gets taken down, Misery feels it necessary to talk about how the robot from back then was different from the one that just got taken down, in that it was wearing a red cap and was even more persistent. And then if we look at regular Cave Story assuming this theory to be true, that lack of differences between the robot from back then and the one that Balrog just took down would explain why Misery didn't talk about any.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Yeah, we're on the same wavelenght there.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Duke Serkol said:
Yeah, we're on the same wavelenght there.
Oh yes, most certainly. This thread is starting to shape up quite nicely.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Honestly, I think by the end of the game (Misery battle) she realises that robot is, in fact, the same robot from 10 years ago, explaining the pre-battle dialogue if I remember it correctly. (quotes of said dialogue plox?)
This proves one point: Quote and Misery met, and probably fought.
But I disagree with the theory that Misery simply teleported Quote and Curly. Miakid would probably have ordered her to destroy them for good, seeing as he was fatally wounded.
Instead, I think that Quote and Curly wounded up in waterways after unsuccesful battle with Miakid, where they got seperated.
Both of them fell unconcious, curly possibly wounded up in Sand Zone, Quote wounded up in Start Point.
Like I said before, this also can be proven by the fact that there's a pool of water and dripping ceiling in Start Point.