Which is the hardest boss in Cave Story?

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:42 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Shadow Major said:
Because Quote is not a mimiga-butcher and does not wish to exterminate them.

Knocking them out should still persist longer than it does.

Also, if you shoot them while they're leaping, they can still hurt you after they're knocked out.

*died far too many times when fighting Curly with 3 HP*

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can walk straight past them and they won't hurt you.

Also, if you shoot them while they're leaping, they can still hurt you after they're knocked out.

Yeah, well you would lose 2 hp as well if an unconscious mimiga landed on you.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:40 AM
"..."
Shadow Major said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can walk straight past them and they won't hurt you.

Really? I know you can with Curly.

Yeah, well you would lose 2 hp as well if an unconscious mimiga landed on you.

I, however, can't fall a hundred metres and survive unharmed.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:53 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
For me it was Ballos (have yet to beat him lol) then the Core then Heavy Press. I need to perfect my Hell run XD

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It took me a really long time to beat The Core for some reason. I had to use the Blade and Missiles like hell, hoping it would beat him... I was just lucky that Curly helped me a bit.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:46 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
lol you need more timing.
core is easy imo

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:26 AM
"..."
Malpercio said:
lol you need more timing.
core is easy imo

The key (if you're not playing with 3 HP) is to remember to shoot down the Core's shots and collect the vast amount of stuff that drops. If you can do that, the Core can't actually kill you, except with the giant balls of doom (which are easy enough to avoid - you just slowly climb the staircase while it's firing) or drowning (which isn't hard to avoid, as long as you remember to do so).

The above is supported by the fact that the first time I beat the Core, I did it with Blade only, and without actually realising that it's invulnerable half the time. :)

It is one of the hardest bosses, though, simply because it has so many ways to kill you, and screwing up some bits can result in an instant kill or half your health bar vanishing instantly. There's precisely one other boss that's capable of instantly killing you (Heavy Press, which is much easier to avoid) and only 2 other bosses can match its energy balls for damage capacity (Omega and Pooh Black, and both the attacks in question have a miniscule probability of actually hitting, unlike the Core).

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM
Pirate Member
huh? what about the Undead Core? that boss fight is even worse than the normal core *coughfuckingfishmissilescough* and still has the energy balls, but is still pretty damn easy.

also, what does Pooh Black have to match up against the Core's attacks? he jumps around and drops balls that spin around him when you shoot him

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM
"..."
Malpercio said:
huh? what about the Undead Core? that boss fight is even worse than the normal core *coughfuckingfishmissilescough* and still has the energy balls, but is still pretty damn easy.

Huh? Undead Core is way easier than normal Core. I can beat it like 80% of the time with no damage whatsoever.

Sue's attack: Highly predictable, can be dodged by accident, only does 4 damage at long intervals anyway.

Misery's attacks: The Critter swarms are likely to give you back more health than they take off. The Bat swarms are slightly annoying. The Fish Missile swarms are nasty, but they only appear if you knock out Sue (who has 1000 health and is invincible a quarter of the time, so that won't happen by accident). So either go straight for the Undead Core, or knock out Misery first.

The Undead Core's attacks: The fireballs will never hit you unless you're on the ground. The dumbbells will never hit you if you stand behind it. Its final attack is the only one that actually requires effort to dodge, and by that point it doesn't have much more health than Quote. Also, the energy balls only do 10 damage, compared to the Core's 20, and they aren't aimed at you.

The Undead Core also doesn't have the capability to screw with your mobility or possibly instakill you via flooding the room.

I will grant that it gets quite a bit more difficult if you have the Mimiga Mask, but that's a self-imposed challenge more than anything else.

also, what does Pooh Black have to match up against the Core's attacks? he jumps around and drops balls that spin around him when you shoot him

If Pooh Black himself lands on you (as opposed to the bits sliced off him) you take 20 damage, the same as the Core's energy balls.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
magic9mushroom said:
Also, the energy balls only do 10 damage, compared to the Core's 20, and they aren't aimed at you.

Which is really odd because they go a ton faster.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:43 AM
"..."
Ollie said:
Which is really odd because they go a ton faster.

Yeah, I know. They also leave smoke in their wake, unlike the Core's ones.

Guess the Doctor just sucks at making effective zombies or something.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM
Pirate Member
magic9mushroom said:
Huh? Undead Core is way easier than normal Core. I can beat it like 80% of the time with no damage whatsoever.

Sue's attack: Highly predictable, can be dodged by accident, only does 4 damage at long intervals anyway.

Misery's attacks: The Critter swarms are likely to give you back more health than they take off. The Bat swarms are slightly annoying. The Fish Missile swarms are nasty, but they only appear if you knock out Sue (who has 1000 health and is invincible a quarter of the time, so that won't happen by accident). So either go straight for the Undead Core, or knock out Misery first.

The Undead Core's attacks: The fireballs will never hit you unless you're on the ground. The dumbbells will never hit you if you stand behind it. Its final attack is the only one that actually requires effort to dodge, and by that point it doesn't have much more health than Quote. Also, the energy balls only do 10 damage, compared to the Core's 20, and they aren't aimed at you.

The Undead Core also doesn't have the capability to screw with your mobility or possibly instakill you via flooding the room.

I will grant that it gets quite a bit more difficult if you have the Mimiga Mask, but that's a self-imposed challenge more than anything else.

If Pooh Black himself lands on you (as opposed to the bits sliced off him) you take 20 damage, the same as the Core's energy balls.

hmm... i was too busy not getting hit by them to notice the difference
also yeah, there's no water at undead core, but there's the projectilespam to make up the difference. also, Misery and Sue, no matter how easy to avoid/knock out, do add to the difficulty of dodging, if nothing else.

also, if Pooh Black lands on you, you DESERVE to die/be severly crippled for it. seriously. that's like getting stomped on by Balrog when he's flying around in the power room in grasstown, if only slightly more difficult to dodge

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Malpercio said:
also, if Pooh Black lands on you, you DESERVE to die/be severly crippled for it. seriously. that's like getting stomped on by Balrog when he's flying around in the power room in grasstown, if only slightly more difficult to dodge

But... he's a ghost... :o

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Malpercio said:

I've had it happen to me before during a couple of boss rushes, since I would try to get close to him so I could use the blade but was careless and didn't really try to dodge his attacks. It's easy enough to avoid if you just want to beat him normally though.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:17 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Pooh Black isn't so much hard as just really annoying, since his balls just fly out of nowhere and hit you (kind of like mine except they inflict damage).

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:25 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wedge of Cheese said:
Pooh Black isn't so much hard as just really annoying, since his balls just fly out of nowhere and hit you (kind of like mine except they inflict damage).

Are you implying that, like pooh black, you have big black balls?

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:32 AM
graters gonna grate
Yes. They fly around me, can move through walls, and hit you when you least expect it. Also, some are opaque and some transparent. They suddenly disappear when I hit the ground, and begin reappearing as I take damage.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:03 AM
Pirate Member
oh god i'm sorry for killing you so many times for teh lulz, i had no idea that was you in that black Balrog costume!

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:09 AM
graters gonna grate
Oh, don't apologize. I just loooooove having my balls whacked around like that; it feels so amazing. Especially when its done by a supah hawt mo-fo like Quote :heart:

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:57 AM
"..."
Malpercio said:
also yeah, there's no water at undead core, but there's the projectilespam to make up the difference.

What.

The Core fires 20 shurikens and 10+ blobs per attack cycle (well, normal attack cycle, it fires 20 shurikens and 3 massive energy balls every fourth cycle). The shurikens are aimed directly at you, and the blobs are aimed at your general area (as the Core tries to stay horizontally right of you, and they're fired horizontally left).

The Undead Core fires 5 fireballs per face and 11 dumbbells per teeth. Neither are even remotely aimed at you. The mouth continually fires once activated, but I believe it's still a slower rate of fire than the Core maintains.

The Core is far more of a projectile spammer than the Undead Core.

also, Misery and Sue, no matter how easy to avoid/knock out, do add to the difficulty of dodging, if nothing else.

There is no difficulty of dodging until the mouth appears, and the player controls when that happens. So take out Misery and Sue before taking the Undead Core down to a sliver of health. I mean, even if you're trying to speedrun it, you should still take out Misery, as her knockout forces the Undead Core open prematurely.

Seriously. I've beaten both the Core and the Undead Core with 3 HP, and the Core was MUCH harder.

Eh, getting hit by Balrog's a lot easier, especially when he starts jumping without flying. To get hit directly by Pooh Black requires you to kill almost all the spheres (as getting hit by that renders you invincible when he attempts to crush you) AND stand stock-still.

It just required a mention as one of the three attacks (the other two being crushed by Omega closing and getting stomped on by Omega) that can match the Core's 20 damage energy balls. I know he's easy. I mean, he doesn't even attack you except in retaliation.