What Would Be Cool to See In Either a Re-Release or a Sequel to CS!

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Random-storykeeper said:
I am rather intrigued by the backstory of Cave Story. It's quite open to interpretation as much as it is finalized in the game's text. But mods seem to be taking care of that, for the most part. I haven't gotten around to playing a lot of mods yet. Most of them, lately, seem to be jokes.
I also find it interesting, but of course the main question is how would the game be expanded on to explain more of the back-story without removing the mysterious nature of the "Island" and it inhabitants?

The only re-releases that I personally own are CS+ and CS for DSiware , so I can't really talk about the Wii release or the CS3D. From what I heard people have mixed opinions on pretty much every release including the original.

The main problem for me was I personally did not like the NiCALiS translation, mostly because I originally play the game with the Aeon Genesis fan translation and the dialogue was either translated better or simply written better to suit the story (in my opinion) than what you see in the NiCALiS . I like that in CS+, you can change the translation from their official translation to the AG rather simply without any issues (that I have seen).

On a side note, I wonder why Grasstown was changed to Bushlands when NiCALiS released the game, yet the soundtrack to CS+ still as the BGM "On to Grasstown" for Bushlands... Maybe I am just being picky, but why change the name of the location and not the titile of the BGM? :confused:

MagicDoors said:
Huhwhat
Alright honestly i didn't expect this let's see
In regards to my "attitude" i wasn't really targeting you until you started talking about throwing away your feelings, i mean the post before that could maybe be misconstrued as hostile but really it wasn't
After that you really did start getting hostile yourself and i guess i could have responded a little nicer, sorry
After that you started using blatant sarcasm to target me
At which point i asked you to show me what the problem was
Which you responded to with more sarcasm
Which i responded with a joke that i guess was a bit underground
And then i guess you uh, pulled a double wraparound and apologized?
I think that would be accurate. BTW sarcasm can be a dangerous weapon that I prefer to use on NiCALiS, because I don't really like what they have been doing with CS.

And their translation is kinda not that good (in my opinion) if you compare it to a simple fan translation by Aeon Genesis.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I see you are a strong supporter of the AG translation. I think it just takes some time to get used to the differences, especially when we're so used to one particular translation, viewing another and calling it the "more accurate" one definitely makes the official translation seem incorrect and flawed. I used to think this way, but I realize no matter which English translation you play, it's still the same main story.

Would people be more familiar with the fan translation or the official one?

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
People that didn't play the original CS will be familiar with the official translation because it was used for all of the NiCALiS ports. I like the AG translation because for me (someone who played the original CS with the fan translation) it is how the game is meant to be. When NiCALiS ported the game with their translation, I felt like they had changed what I had liked about the dialogue (namely there were some rather humorous lines of dialogue that were changed in the official NiCALiS translation) and it removed some of the charm that I enjoyed in the original. I understand that the different translations do not effect the main story, but it just makes it a little less enjoyable for me. I am clearly not saying that I dislike the game by any means. I am just saying that I liked the "original" / fan translation's dialogue more (whet-ever it is more accurate or not does not matter really to me) because it was what I liked about the original game before NiCALiS came in and changed it.

Still wanting to know why they changed Grasstown to Bushlands and did not change the title of the BGM that plays when you are there... But meh... :toroko2:

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The same problem you had with the rest of the official translation - your sense of nostalgia
I'm not taking a stab at you or anything btw, i'm just saying that the bushlands name is justified.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
QuoteSan said:
The main problem for me was I personally did not like the NiCALiS translation, mostly because I originally play the game with the Aeon Genesis fan translation and the dialogue was either translated better or simply written better to suit the story (in my opinion) than what you see in the NiCALiS.
Of course the AGTP translation is generally better written, but the official one is more accurate. Accuracy and quality of writing are not the same thing when it comes to translations. Of course you want the translation you love to be better in every respect but that just isn't the case.

I think I should throw together an AGTP/Official translation hybrid mod one day that fixes the flaws in both translations.

QuoteSan said:
On a side note, I wonder why Grasstown was changed to Bushlands when NiCALiS released the game, yet the soundtrack to CS+ still as the BGM "On to Grasstown" for Bushlands... Maybe I am just being picky, but why change the name of the location and not the titile of the BGM? :confused:
Where were these track names listed in any official capacity? I mean the track names were listed in the credits in the original, but not so in CS+.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well, now that most of the fighting is aside...

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, but I know that Pixel has stated that he wants to move on to other projects. Also, based on how the game ended, it would be hard to MAKE a sequel... To further enforce this, Pixel spent his time making 3 different endings, meaning he can't make a sequel without making two of the endings obsolete. Another thing to think about, is the age of design. How would an 8-bit game compare to some of the games out there today? (Like Assassins Creed 4 or something) How would something that's a sequel/re-release be changed to still attract people? (Like Megaman X to Megaman Maverick Hunter X. Some people I've talked to would prefer the original version than the re-released and better version.)

About translation projects...
I first found out Cave Story due to CS+, but I first played Cave Story with the AGTP translation patch. I will admit, the change to the official translation was a bit rough for me. I'm adjusted to both of the translation patches, but sometimes, a certain line would throw me off. One line that I'm positive many people argue is better, is the one mimiga in the jail in the plantation. One line that caused a very big debate, was over who killed the Colon's/Koron's parents. Some people speculated it was Curly while others thought it was a different robot. We even had a fellow member here (Looking at you, GIR) do exact translations to help solve this.

The whole Grasstown to Bushlands thing I honestly don't know why it happened. I said I'm adjusted to both translations, but I still prefer the original AGTP translation of the area name. I think just based on name, (assuming you didn't know anything about the game) you would think Grasstown would be more unique sounding. I think another thing that really makes Grasstown/Bushlands deserve the name Grasstown, is because Pixel created the music for that area with the name "On to Grasstown".

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM
So I am wrong again (or at least I think I am ???), when I looked on up Youtube the title of the song was "On to Grasstown" and it was the remastered music for that area. The problem is when you check the .ogg files of the remastered music the file name is "weed.ogg" ( I am serious!). If anyone would like a history lesson feel free to read this thread that I found on this subject! : http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/4025/ I could dig more in to the audio files of CS+ but I worry I could mess something up. Best file names ever though.

Here is an apologetic song link because I am dumb... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH0QCQyMwSc

It is one of my personal favs!

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
Rubyyoshi said:
Well, now that most of the fighting is aside...

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, but I know that Pixel has stated that he wants to move on to other projects. Also, based on how the game ended, it would be hard to MAKE a sequel... To further enforce this, Pixel spent his time making 3 different endings, meaning he can't make a sequel without making two of the endings obsolete.
Hmm that DOES present a problem. Perhaps when the game is started, you could choose from one of the 2 good endings to continue the story of off.
But I would like to see a sequel.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:02 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
andwhyisit said:
I think I should throw together an AGTP/Official translation hybrid mod one day that fixes the flaws in both translations.
I'm uncertain of how that would work. Clearly you would have to favour one translation over the other when trying to combine the two. Or just come up with an entirely new one, at the most. But that might only cause troubles to escalate...

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM
War criminal
knuckles5577 said:
Hmm that DOES present a problem. Perhaps when the game is started, you could choose from one of the 2 good endings to continue the story of off.
But I would like to see a sequel.
This is now starting to sound like how Pikmin 2 came to be (though Miyamoto chose to follow the best ending).

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:36 AM
TLincoln said:
This is now starting to sound like how Pikmin 2 came to be (though Miyamoto chose to follow the best ending).
If I were PIxel, I would want to base it after the best ending (similar to the Jenka's Nightmare mod) were for some reason Quote and Curly are forced back into the fight with maybe a new enemy is threatening the Island and its inhabitants. But I am not Pixel so... :sue:

And I would throw the Sakamotos into the game just for the fun of it. :mahin: (mainly I like Sue, but hate Kazama i.e coward ending)

You guys may continue I need to sleep... :sue: :heart:

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I personally think that hybrid translation sounds like a really awesome idea. Keeping some of the better writing of AGTP while also keeping the extra accuracy of the Nicalis translation...I think that could work. And it would be a great way of slightly patching up the divide between the two translations without sacrificing too much. :3

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:41 AM
War criminal
Next thing you know, that one jailed Mimiga finally says "Doctor Dumb can go screw himself" in the official version.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
QuoteSan said:
I am not angry because people are against what I think. I just don't understand the straight-up rude comment *cough cough* coming from the comments of this thread. There is a difference between having a discussion and attacking the person *cough cough* just because they want to have a simple discussion on something that has been apparently talked about already. Sorry if you feel that I am being quote " a little baby" and "having a hissy fit". And by the way, from some of these comments, yes it does seem that some people on this forum do like to quote "smash my ideas". :(

I am fine if I am wrong, but at least be decent about it and not down right mean *cough cough*
as long as you don't salt the open wound on the comment chain,you are alright. :mrgreen: :rolleyes: :cool: :mahin: :chin:

TLincoln said:
Next thing you know, that one jailed Mimiga finally says "Doctor Dumb can go screw himself" in the official version.
the ,quote, "official" translation also said damn.And let you remind you the game was rated E10+! so yeah. balrogmagictoasters AWAY! :balrog: ==========================================BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MagicDoors said:
Something that isn't CS
why the heck is your avatar naked...? :confused:

Attachments

• 200px.png
    200px.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 5
Nov 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM
What have forums done... -o-

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:23 AM
War criminal
Nov 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM