X-Calibar said:
I'd trade my Polar Star for one of these :
ATT997857.jpg

rofl,

but reguardless spur> dogbird unless the dogbird can shoot stuff :p

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:15 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I think Dog Bird technology is closely related to the Nemesis Program. The "Goddess" of the Nemesis, the inventor had several prototype weapons... This is the result of the Lv. 3 ............

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DragonBoots said:
Disadvantages: you give up the Fireball and the Snake can't destroy those breakable blocks

Neither the fireball can.

Lyger said:
Another advantage concerning the Snake (though it's kinda tied in with the shoots through walls one) is that snake-super missiles-nemesis seems to be the weapon combo of choice for Hell speedruns... the really fast under three minutes ones... since the Snake can set off Deleets before you get to them, and the slow speed on level 1 is useful for not wasting missiles on the fall through B1...

Yep, I'm always using the Snake and the Nemesis, also the Super Missiles. ;)
But I liked Machine Gun more before. Well, Snake is absolutly the weapon which fits me.

Blade isn't a weapon for me when I'm in hell and I don't think it's more fun to use than the Nemesis.

Apr 4, 2008 at 6:41 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Snake is probably one of the most useful weapons. Shooting through solid walls is real a must for going pro in Cave Story. Hell run, hitting those exploding timers as soon as possible so you don't have to wait... Very useful.

Super Missile would be the second most useful weapon in my opinion. High damage, real fast. The ticket for speed and who doesn't like explosives...

Nemesis is a solid weapon, Spur too. But those other two are just more useful I think.

Machinegun is for kicks ;p Although the flying kickback is l33t; has anyone used the Machinegun for increasing their speedrun time? If you shoot up, you fly down a little faster, and if you combine that with jetpack... a little extra edge lol

As for what I've always traded my Polar Star for... I always went with the Spur really. But, what I said above is what I think about them.

Most useless weapons... Bubbler, lvl 3 nemesis, ... lol I want to see someone fireball Ballos to death lol

Oh Blade. I like that weapon. The whole lvl 3 blade thing then switching weapons seems like a pro move as well...

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:56 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey, the Bubbler is not useless! It helped me once!
Well, only once... It was in the hidden Final Cave. The last part with the Presses going down and no space between the Presses and even lava underneath them.
If you're able to kill the first Press in the row without going under it, the rest is really easy. And hitting the first Press in the row with the Bubbler Lvl 3 is a piece of cake.
I died many times at this part until I figured out how to use the almighty Bubbler. XD

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:22 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
MC Dirty said:
Hey, the Bubbler is not useless! It helped me once!
Well, only once... It was in the hidden Final Cave. The last part with the Presses going down and no space between the Presses and even lava underneath them.
If you're able to kill the first Press in the row without going under it, the rest is really easy. And hitting the first Press in the row with the Bubbler Lvl 3 is a piece of cake.
I died many times at this part until I figured out how to use the almighty Bubbler. XD

or you can use skill to get past them :D

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:12 AM
Indie game enthusiast
bubbler is pretty cool when you put it that way lol
Certainly is the most unique weapon..

who needs skill anyways ;p I like to very slowly take out the presses too lol

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:18 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I think the last part of the cave can be settled with full charged spur, just blast up as soon as you go under the first press at the lava part

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:35 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
freezit4 said:
I think the last part of the cave can be settled with full charged spur, just blast up as soon as you go under the first press at the lava part

dont the presses block bullets from under them when there falling?

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:14 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
xristosx said:
dont the presses block bullets from under them when there falling?
Hmm, I don't think so. As far as I know the presses are always vulnerable. And I didn't think about the Whimsical Star, that's a good idea, too. But it's faster with the Bubbler and you only get the Whimsical Star if you've got the Spur. Well, I would always choose the Spur, but people who want to perform a speedrun in Hell, choose the Snake instead of the Spur.
It's even faster if you use skills, but I'm a newbie, I have no skills! :)

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:17 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
The best weapon for that stretch of the Final Cave is the Snake. I did it with the Whimsical Star once, too. The Bubbler works fairly well if it's on level 3.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:37 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The Bubbler is a pretty lame weapon, but it's quite useful that you can use the Bubbler Lvl 3 to hit enemies without risking to get hit yourself. Very useful against presses.
Obviously, the Bubbler is not for speedruns, but it's for safety! Okay, if you're skilled enough, you don't need the extra safety, but you shouldn't miss the Bubbler on you first play through.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:02 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I couldn't remember using bubbler after Sand Zone(which I use on those flying guys).
So, it's probably cooler not to take the bubbler and in the final cave, I didn't even bother leveling up any weapons. Just fight the boss with Nem or Blade(I guess lvl 1 is great enough) and you can level up later near the clouds at the balcony.

MC Dirty said:
Hmm, I don't think so. As far as I know the presses are always vulnerable.
No, the ones at the plantation couldn't be killed while they're at rest, and I don't think you'd waste your time trying to kill them by making them move, and could you?

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:14 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
The horizontal presses are killer presses; much faster than normal ones and invulnerable. Normal presses are always vulnerable, and don't return to their original positions like the horizontal ones do.

The bubbler is a good safety weapon on lv3, has good range, shield effect is nice, and the spreading, and rapid fire, but in all other respects it kinda sucks... didn't find the Blade in Jenka's Nightmare so I'm stuck using the bubbler as my main weapon, and it's horrible.

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:06 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah, the horizontal presses! Yes, I noticed that they are invulnerable when not moving, but I kinda forgot about it. But I didn't know that they are faster than the vertical presses.
I would never even think of using the Bubbler as a main weapon. :eek: That must be freaking hard!

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:11 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Wait, they're vulnerable WHEN moving? I'll have to try that.

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:44 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
MC Dirty said:
you shouldn't miss the Bubbler on you first play through.
I did just that. I didn't get it 'til after the Labyrinth, at least.

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:45 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
X-Calibar said:
... lol I want to see someone fireball Ballos to death lol
Here you go. Credit for the save file's position goes to andwhyisit.
MC Dirty said:
I would never even think of using the Bubbler as a main weapon. :o That must be freaking hard!
On Jenka's Nightmare, yes, it's hard. On Cave Story itself, though, it's kind of fun to try. I tested CS:TBS (My mod) one time mainly using the Bubbler (Well, the Bubbler-esque weapon there) all the way from Grasstown to after defeating Undead Core. I haven't tried using it at all in SG, but I might as well give it a shot sometime...