What should I trade my Polar Star for?

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:31 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lyger said:
You know, I have wondered about the Snake, though...

How can Quote see what he's shooting?

If he's taking out enemies from behind walls... how does he know where the enemies are?

Obviously as the player you can see... but judging from what I've seen of the forums so far, wondering how Cave Story would work "IRL" doesn't seem to be much of a stretch at all. :(
In all honesty, I think it has to do with viewing the world as 3D rather than 2D...
I'd explain, but I can't see my keyboard.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:52 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Lyger said:
You know, I have wondered about the Snake, though...

How can Quote see what he's shooting?

If he's taking out enemies from behind walls... how does he know where the enemies are?

Obviously as the player you can see... but judging from what I've seen of the forums so far, wondering how Cave Story would work "IRL" doesn't seem to be much of a stretch at all. :(

Heat scanner? xray vision? he is a robot so those things are possible

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:13 AM
xristosx said:
Heat scanner? xray vision? he is a robot so those things are possible
HE'S A ROBOT?!?!?!?!
~DB's perception of reality shatters~

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:35 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
DragonBoots said:
HE'S A ROBOT?!?!?!?!
~DB's perception of reality shatters~

rofl
canadians are very misinformed arnt they :D

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:45 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Roonil Wazlib said:
Can anyone explain the science for the snake? As in how it can penetrate walls, but not enemies? Don't give me 3d for this, coz it's the only weapon that can go through.

its a game? :D

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:03 AM
Either selective phase varience or it's a form or radiation similar to gamma radiation.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
In 3 HP runs blade can serve as the shield because of its splash damage and speed. I'm one of the rare guys who prefer Spur to MG and Snake XD.
Well, that's why I said non-minimal. :D
Problem with Blade-shielding is that it's less dependable. Ohsoveryoften have I relied on it to destroy the projectile I know is coming, and despite the fact that there aren't especially many targets on screen, and my timing's right, King just won't bother going after it. =\ The 1-at-a-time limitation's also pretty sore. And anyways, I'm generally switching weapons damned often, in order to get maximum firepower out at a time, for a "Kill them before they kill me," strategy, meaning that:
A. Any bonus Snake has over Polar Star is still valid
and B. I'd still be forced to use the Blade a lot ( due to the fact that shots from the Snake will simply have to time-out if they don't find a target, and 4-at-a-time's pretty limited ) .

Then again, I just realized: I'd be losing the Fireball, which, in fact, I often managed to find very useful ( omgomgwtf! ) .

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Respwnt
Garbeld said:
Well, that's why I said non-minimal. :D
Problem with Blade-shielding is that it's less dependable. Ohsoveryoften have I relied on it to destroy the projectile I know is coming, and despite the fact that there aren't especially many targets on screen, and my timing's right, King just won't bother going after it. =\ The 1-at-a-time limitation's also pretty sore. And anyways, I'm generally switching weapons damned often, in order to get maximum firepower out at a time, for a "Kill them before they kill me," strategy, meaning that:
A. Any bonus Snake has over Polar Star is still valid
and B. I'd still be forced to use the Blade a lot ( due to the fact that shots from the Snake will simply have to time-out if they don't find a target, and 4-at-a-time's pretty limited ) .

Then again, I just realized: I'd be losing the Fireball, which, in fact, I often managed to find very useful ( omgomgwtf! ) .
I meant non-minimal as well.

And you're strictly talking about level 3. Levl 3 is only ever useful in the Labyrinth. Try using level 2, it totally pwns.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Can anyone explain the science for the snake? As in how it can penetrate walls, but not enemies? Don't give me 3d for this, coz it's the only weapon that can go through.
Selective quantum tunnelling. :D

Eh, well Gamma would make sense, as DragonBoots suggested. I guess this assumes that none of the walls in Cave Story are made of lead or something.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:26 AM
Lyger said:
Selective quantum tunnelling. :D

Eh, well Gamma would make sense, as DragonBoots suggested. I guess this assumes that none of the walls in Cave Story are made of lead or something.
lol
Except the moving blocks in the Laby, the lift in Eggs, and any other moving terrian for that matter.
They would all seem to be made of lead.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I chose the Spur and I really love it! I played Cave Story before with the Machine Gun and it was really awesome too, but I didn't know that I can go up in the level "Outer Wall". XD Now I have a new computer and started playing through Cave Story again choosing the Spur.
The fight against the Core is very easy with the Machine Gun and quite hard with the Polar Star. But thank god for the Super Missiles! The rest is quite easy, so you don't really need the Machine Gun. It makes some jumping around easier but the jumping sections in Cave Story aren't hard at all.

I tried the Snake in the Boss Rush and it keeps missing Balrog! Snake might be extremely useful in the secret stage, but I prefer the Spur because of the Snake's randomness. With the Spur you can just hide, charge the shot and unleash it. And the lvl 2, 3 and MAX shots of the Spur have an awesome range which is really useful in the secret stage and basically everywhere.

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:56 AM
Mar 16, 2008 at 6:34 AM
Roonil Wazlib said:
O_-
Even Balfrog?
And Omega?

All these are supposed to be organic.
Well, to be technical, Balfrog is a magical construct and Omega is a machine.
But Ballos...

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
And you're strictly talking about level 3. Levl 3 is only ever useful in the Labyrinth. Try using level 2, it totally pwns.
But... using level 2 means I won't have level three available. D:
=P

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"