What should I trade my Polar Star for?

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:46 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Alex Ross said:
What's the general consensus on which gun is the best? I'm not very interested in the Snake, and I haven't seen the Charge Shot yet, so basically I was wondering if the Machine Gun is a better choice than the CS.
I'm not much of a Snake user, either, but my opinion is nearly identical to Roonil Wazlib's post below yours on the 1st page.

I would definitely recommend the Machine Gun, as Roonil Wazlib already explained. It does decent enough damage and has a 'hidden' 2nd purpose...
If it's powered up to the 3rd level, you can boost yourself higher with every shot you fire downwards while you're in midair! It's also helpful around certain dangerous spots if your Booster runs out of juice and there's nowhere safe to land... It can really save your life as long as it remains at Lv. 3.
On the other hand, the Spur is one powerful weapon (Aside from the Super Missile Launcher, which I'm sure you've already found), and the one I prefer the most, especially for... Well, I can't say what it is, yet... But you'll discover what it is eventually.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yeah i would agree with roonil. blade is ftw

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:22 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Nope, blade > Spur
That's true, indeed, but I was simply keeping it within the original focusing point (As to what to trade the Polar Star for). The Blade is undeniably one of the player's best weapons.

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:01 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Masturbation =/= Racism

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:25 PM
Justin-chan
You forgot Language and Religion.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:32 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Alex Ross said:
What's the general consensus on which gun is the best? I'm not very interested in the Snake, and I haven't seen the Charge Shot yet, so basically I was wondering if the Machine Gun is a better choice than the CS.
I have found the following data:

Spur:
Tap: 4 dmg, range 8, no screen limit
Level 2: 10-18 dmg, range 15, unlikely multiple, takes about 1 sec to charge
Level 3: 24-80 dmg, range 15, unlikely multiple, takes 2 secs to charge
Level 4: 72-150 dmg, range 15, unlikely multiple, takes 5 secs to charge
Advantages: high damage, range and no need for weapon energy
Disadvantages: you'll have dead time if you want to charge

Machine Gun:
Level 1: Damage: 2/shot Range: 10 Blocks (Strafes) Screen Limit: None? Destroys Blocks: Yes
Level 2: Damage: 4/shot Range: 10 Blocks (Strafes) Screen Limit: None? Destroys Blocks: Yes
Level 3: Damage: 6/shot Range: 10 Blocks (Strafes) Screen Limit: None? Destroys Blocks: Yes + Kickback
Advantages: kickback at level 3 and shots sorta strafe, withing a degree
Disadvantages: highest weapon energy demand of any of the trade 3

Snake:
Level 1: 4 dmg, range 4, limited to 4 on screen, slow
Level 2: 6 dmg, range 6, limited to 4 on screen, faster, strafes
Level 3: 8 dmg, range 8, limited to 4 on screen, fastest, strafes
Advantages: goes through walls (no need to worry about line of sight), strafes massively at level 2 and 3 (almost a whole block vertically) and has the lowest level up energy of the trade 3
Disadvantages: you give up the Fireball and the Snake can't destroy those breakable blocks

So...
Maybe numbers will help you decide...

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:46 AM
Respwnt
DragonBoots said:

Spur:

Machine Gun:
Level 1: Damage: 2/shot Range: 10 Blocks (Strafes) Screen Limit: None? Destroys Blocks: Yes
Level 2: Damage: 4/shot Range: 10 Blocks (Strafes) Screen Limit: None? Destroys Blocks: Yes
Level 3: Damage: 6/shot Range: 10 Blocks (Strafes) Screen Limit: None? Destroys Blocks: Yes + Kickback

Snake:
Advantages: goes through walls (no need to worry about line of sight), strafes massively at level 2 and 3 (almost a whole block vertically) and has the lowest level up energy of the trade 3
Disadvantages: you give up the Fireball and the Snake can't destroy those breakable blocks

So...

You forgot:

Polar Star:
Advantages: You can boast about your skeelz at CS if you complete the game with this
Disadvantages: It sucks -.-

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
DragonBoots said:

Spur:

Machine Gun:

Snake:

So...
Thanks for the info, I decided to stick with the Machine Gun for my first play-through, I think it suits me the best.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:16 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
andwhyisit said:
The movie wasn't crap, it was good just not great. Still worth watching though. I never regretted seeing it.
Am I the only one here who knows it was a book? Or who read the book for that matter? D:

Another advantage concerning the Snake (though it's kinda tied in with the shoots through walls one) is that snake-super missiles-nemesis seems to be the weapon combo of choice for Hell speedruns... the really fast under three minutes ones... since the Snake can set off Deleets before you get to them, and the slow speed on level 1 is useful for not wasting missiles on the fall through B1...

I actually rather like the Snake.

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:59 AM
Lyger said:
I actually rather like the Snake.
I like you Lyger.
You have love for the Snake.
In my humble opinion (as an analytical phreakazoid), Snake > Machine Gun > Spur.

I mean, 8 Damage > 6 Damage Rapid Fire > Dead Time
And, in all Hell-related usefulness, Range 8 Through Walls > Range 10 > Dead Time

What it all comes down to for me is Utility vs Ease.
And no dead time.
Even the MG can experience Dead Time if you drain the ammo by flying 'poorly' or spamming a boss. Without the Turbo, I'd've never made it through Hell on the MG.
And the one time I ran the Spur through Hell, I *only* lived because of the Whimsical Star. And just barely (55 health, too!).

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:04 AM
Bad Beholder said:
The Blade is undeniably one of the player's best weapons.
DENIED!!!
Nemmy > Blade.
It's Range + Speed + Damage vs. Damage alone.
Nemmy Ballos 2nd form Max Unload Damage Krank (In Practice): ~300+
Blade Ballos 2nd form Max Unload Damage Krank (In Practice): ~150

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Respwnt
DragonBoots said:
DENIED!!!
Nemmy > Blade.
It's Range + Speed + Damage vs. Damage alone.
Nemmy Ballos 2nd form Max Unload Damage Krank (In Practice): ~300+
Blade Ballos 2nd form Max Unload Damage Krank (In Practice): ~150
Blade =/= Damage alone

Blade = Damage + Splash damage + Awesome control + Utility in all three levels (1 = range, 2 = speed, 3 = damage + splash) + FUN TO USE!!!

Neme = Range + Speed + Damage - Utility - Fun - Control - Splash

Blade > Nemesis in normal gameplay
Nemesis > Blade in Boss fights

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:52 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yep, Machine Gun's always a great one. The spread is kinda useful, and makes it among the weapons capable of creating a 'shield' of damage to protect you from incoming projectiles/enemies/attacks. And the flying ability is just cheap - I mean, except to jump once in the beginning, I never really touched the ground when fighting the doctor, thereby eliminating most of his threat. >.> <.<
And personally, I'd say that Snake is the second best. Although the Spur has higher damage output, I have other weapons I can use for that, and anyways, simply hitting the fire button fast enough will generally be sufficient, if not ideal. On the other hand, its wavy path makes it excellent for shielding, while combined with its wall-penetration, is quite useful for hitting enemies from behind cover, when your range of motion is limited. If I had to choose a weapon for a 3HP-non-minimal run, it would be my unquestioning decision.

Mar 14, 2008 at 8:08 AM
Respwnt
Garbeld said:
Yep, Machine Gun's always a great one. The spread is kinda useful, and makes it among the weapons capable of creating a 'shield' of damage to protect you from incoming projectiles/enemies/attacks. And the flying ability is just cheap - I mean, except to jump once in the beginning, I never really touched the ground when fighting the doctor, thereby eliminating most of his threat. >.> <.<
And personally, I'd say that Snake is the second best. Although the Spur has higher damage output, I have other weapons I can use for that, and anyways, simply hitting the fire button fast enough will generally be sufficient, if not ideal. On the other hand, its wavy path makes it excellent for shielding, while combined with its wall-penetration, is quite useful for hitting enemies from behind cover, when your range of motion is limited. If I had to choose a weapon for a 3HP-non-minimal run, it would be my unquestioning decision.
In 3 HP runs blade can serve as the shield because of its splash damage and speed. I'm one of the rare guys who prefer Spur to MG and Snake XD.

Mar 14, 2008 at 8:49 PM
Did anyone catch the M.U.D.K.I.P. reference?

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:21 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
You know, I have wondered about the Snake, though...

How can Quote see what he's shooting?

If he's taking out enemies from behind walls... how does he know where the enemies are?

Obviously as the player you can see... but judging from what I've seen of the forums so far, wondering how Cave Story would work "IRL" doesn't seem to be much of a stretch at all. :(