What did you assume when you first started playing Cave Story?

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
It seems weird that you can kill them because Sue is obviously still alive after the battle, and if Misery would be dead, then the whole thing in the best ending about freeing her wouldn't really make much sense.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:50 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't think you actually "kill" them. More like knock them out.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:56 PM
graters gonna grate
Yeah, that makes more sense.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Why kill the Doctor but not Misery? It's not like Quote knows that they're under the control of the crown and have to serve the Doctor.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:32 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
When I first played the game, I didn't know there was a translation patch and instead was using a guide to get me through any part where inability to read what was being said made me totally stuck. Even without dialogue the characters in this game are sufficiently emotive that I got a very good story, just... not quite the right story. For one, I assumed that King was a minion of the Doctor who eventually was inspired (either by the hero or by the doctor's actions) to switch sides in time for Sand Zone, because he had that mean looking scar and the first time you see him he's threatening a little girl (and the next major action he performs is imprisoning Sue). I assumed Sue was both a boy and a longtime friend of the main character who had come here (wherever "here" was) with him and in the end left with him to continue on their journeys. Certainly lent more weight to the part where Misery uses her as a hostage. I obviously didn't get any of the stuff about red flowers or floating islands, but that was ok because there was still a story without them. Most of the dramatic moments, especially Curly's death, carried through quite well.

Then I played through a second time, with the translation patch and saving Curly (and getting the spur). The real plot was, of course, equally good, but I almost feel kind of sad that I can no longer ever fully recall or relive the original experience of playing the game without knowing anything but what was shown through action. Then, of course, I did it several more times with self imposed challenges, because it was a good game.

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I first thought Cave Story would be just another game that I would skim over and then dump. But after I started getting into it I just LOVED and still love the plot! And after that I was helped by DCrab's YouTube cave story play, and I managed to get the best ending! XD

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Songa said:
I first thought Cave Story would be just another game that I would skim over and then dump. But after I started getting into it I just LOVED and still love the plot! And after that I was helped by DCrab's YouTube cave story play, and I managed to get the best ending! XD

Did you play through hell?

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
When I first played the game, I didn't know there was a translation patch and instead was using a guide to get me through any part where inability to read what was being said made me totally stuck. Even without dialogue the characters in this game are sufficiently emotive that I got a very good story, just... not quite the right story. For one, I assumed that King was a minion of the Doctor who eventually was inspired (either by the hero or by the doctor's actions) to switch sides in time for Sand Zone, because he had that mean looking scar and the first time you see him he's threatening a little girl (and the next major action he performs is imprisoning Sue). I assumed Sue was both a boy and a longtime friend of the main character who had come here (wherever "here" was) with him and in the end left with him to continue on their journeys. Certainly lent more weight to the part where Misery uses her as a hostage. I obviously didn't get any of the stuff about red flowers or floating islands, but that was ok because there was still a story without them. Most of the dramatic moments, especially Curly's death, carried through quite well.

Then I played through a second time, with the translation patch and saving Curly (and getting the spur). The real plot was, of course, equally good, but I almost feel kind of sad that I can no longer ever fully recall or relive the original experience of playing the game without knowing anything but what was shown through action. Then, of course, I did it several more times with self imposed challenges, because it was a good game.
Well if you could list the differences then maybe a simple mod to change the dialogue to what you thought it was could be made.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
And then we can put it on the site right under the game download?
Because that might be awesome.
Actually, if there is enough support for it, I wouldn't mind creating a mod section and giving mod authors the option of writing up a page for their mod. Unfortunately you won't see Jenka's Nightmare up there unless you can somehow track down schmitz.

We seriously need a custom Cave Story multiple file patcher, like that one that AGTP did, only.. customisable. Maybe we could ask AGTP for the source code or a customisable version?

Anyway I am getting offtopic soooo...

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:33 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
But it wouldn't work. It wasn't just a matter of different details. It's a different feeling, a different experience to be shown the plot entirely through actions, without dialogue and without already knowing what the dialogue is supposed to say. The specific differences in what I thought the plot were were an effect of this, but if you'd done it you might've seen a different plot. If I had played both versions in one day and written the differences down right there, I still wouldn't be able to capture the effect in the sense that I could give it to someone else, because the plot wasn't the effect; the effect was the different way of seeing the plot. And once you've seen it translated once, you can't do it; even if you turn off the translations you know what everyone's saying.

The only way to experience it is to play the game without the translations before ever playing the game, or even seeing a single cutscene, with translations. If you didn't do that the first time, you can't go back and do it now.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:14 AM
Agent of the System
Brickman said:
But it wouldn't work. It wasn't just a matter of different details. It's a different feeling, a different experience to be shown the plot entirely through actions, without dialogue and without already knowing what the dialogue is supposed to say. The specific differences in what I thought the plot were were an effect of this, but if you'd done it you might've seen a different plot. If I had played both versions in one day and written the differences down right there, I still wouldn't be able to capture the effect in the sense that I could give it to someone else, because the plot wasn't the effect; the effect was the different way of seeing the plot. And once you've seen it translated once, you can't do it; even if you turn off the translations you know what everyone's saying.

The only way to experience it is to play the game without the translations before ever playing the game, or even seeing a single cutscene, with translations. If you didn't do that the first time, you can't go back and do it now.
Are all of your post this long??? :D

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM
/end
The Joker said:
Are all of your post this long??? :D

Do you always think something that is actually quite short long?

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Agent of the System
MetaSeraphim said:

Ummm, could you repeat the question?:rolleyes:

But no I mean, most post on here are a sentence or two, not two freakin paragraphs.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:05 PM
graters gonna grate
What was this thread about before it got derailed again?
*looks up at titlebar*
Oh yeah, what you assumed when you first started playing CS.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:33 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
The Joker said:
Are all of your post this long??? :eek:
Honestly, they aren't. Brickman's posts are actually quite short compared to those of many people I could name – myself among them, sometimes. That particular post was a mere two paragraphs – I've seen posts that contain an entire essay, albeit fairly short for an essay.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:53 AM
Agent of the System
Celtic Minstrel said:
Honestly, they aren't. Brickman's posts are actually quite short compared to those of many people I could name – myself among them, sometimes. That particular post was a mere two paragraphs – I've seen posts that contain an entire essay, albeit fairly short for an essay.

Thats very interesting piece of information, I thank you.

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM
/end
I assumed shit was going down, and it was.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:54 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
MetaSeraphim said:
You just won his life with that.

And yeah, playing the game is no fun when you know how to play the game. Sadly.