What caused the explosion in Egg Corridor?

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
whyme said:
Here is my theory...

The eggs were being incubated (sorry if I suck at spelling today) by a hidden flame under the floor powered by a hidden generator. Now, the doctor did not want any Mimigas to escape, so he sent Misery (because the docter is a lazy shit) to overload the generator with a single lightning spell. This caused the generator to increase its heat production into dangerous levels. The eggs begun to crack, but the generator (I guess its more of a boiler, call it whatever you think) begun to backfire and overheat. The generator/boiler exploded and the explosions touch some really inconveniently placed fuel and other explosions. As soon as the two made contact...

...the entire Egg Corridor was engulfed in a wall of flames. (it's a wall because the game is 2-D) In addition to the generator/boiler keeping the eggs warm, it also powered all the electronics in the egg corridor. The earlier surge caused the computers to explode (due to electrical overload) thus igniting a more inconveniently placed stache of missle ammunition. This secondary explosion caused the roof to crumble and colapse. The heat caused the eggs to crack and any healthy dragon could have easily broken out of the egg shell, but the dragons did not make it... (kind of) The falling debris from the celing fell down and cracked the eggs open, thus freeing the dragon zombies. The dragon zombies caused even more cahos and destruction throughout the egg coridor, completely destroying anything in their path, and left hell in their wake.

All of these zombies were a failure. All except for one... Egg 00 was originally an experiment. Igor (while he was still alive) was originally testing to see if there was a different, safer way to hatch eggs. So he decided to raise one egg (egg 00) using human incubation methods. The experiment seemed to be succesful. He begun to make plans the replace the boiler method with the incubation method. Sadly, he would not be able to see the day to complete his project. One day he was really hungry. It was a bit of a walk to get back to the village, and he could not leave the eggs unattended. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Igor opened the door to find a package. A package full of red flowers.

Igor had learned how dangerous the red flowers were, but he was so hungry. "What harm would there be in just a little taste" he thought to himself. He ate just one petal. He thought it was so delicious and unique, he ate more and more. After about eating half of the flowers, Igor begun to feel a bit warm. He thought he was just crazy, but he started to choke. He knelled on the ground, coughing violently, his eyes suddenly became bloodshot. He coughed up his own blood, and thats when he begun to transform into his enraged state. Being in this maddened state, he did not have the common sense to continue looking after the eggs. In his enraged state, he encountered and fought a robot, who was far to agile for Igor to keep up. After a series of bullets penitrating Igors flesh, Igor fell to the floor and reverted to his normal state, his rage finally quenched... his life finnaly ended... his dream however, was never accomplished...

But experiment 00 was successful...

Pretty sound theory.
Only two minor things I can call on it:
- In order for Egg 00 to hatch, power couldn't have failed. Unless Egg 00 has an independant power supply for those heat lamps (smart, but also dumb).
- Who would knowingly give a Mimiga Red Flowers? Unless, maybe... Chtuhlu! O:

Apart from that, it does explain a lot:
- The pipe-like appearance of the egg corridor; they could be ducting and vents.
- Some reptiles have their gender determined by thermal factors; maybe the "zombie" dragons would be more akin to "hypermales" - look up the research on humans with 2 Y chromasomes to get the idea of what I mean. Basically, testosterone-raging freaks.
- Counter bomb could be a lingering effect of Misery's spell mixed with a portion of fuel vapor that didn't ignite immediately.
- The area right at the end, where you fought Igor - In Eggs 2, the damage stops there, which is maybe why Egg 00 survived? Kinda like a buffer zone.

The only other thing wrong is...
Kazuma said that Misery showed up, suggesting he and the gang were already there. Maybe in the brief fight to capture Sue an errant lightning spell set off the reaction? Or perhaps primed the already precarious situation to a point where a sudden power surge would set it off... The kind of surge one might need... To start the heart of a Skydragon?

I dunno.
I have this picture of Sue rushing Misery and tackling her, causing a spell the witch was casting to misfire... Maybe it was a half-cocked spell that lashed back through the egg corridor when Misery hit the ground...

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
whyme, I hate to tell you this, but you're becoming saner with each passing day.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Lace said:
whyme, I hate to tell you this, but you're becoming saner with each passing day.

Sad but unfortunately true.

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:02 AM
Probably meds.
So whyme's post pretty much wraps up this discussion, despite turning into a fanfic halfway through: a combination of magic and technology blowed the whole thing up, except the area near Egg 00. Maybe the shield was put back up by someone (Igor might not have been dead), or it may also have been automatically restarted.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:33 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cyowolf1122 said:
Also, @Kirbyarm
I understand the concept of too short a game, however, it was fairly evident at that point that there was more beyond that. Plus, we are talking about current Cave Story, not any of it's previous betas or otherwise.

Games evolve from their beta stage, it doesn't completely disappear.

Cyowolf1122 said:
Irregardless, I don't quite get what you are getting at. Sorry, but it seems you are refferring to the Bad ending. While it does indeed come after the ruined egg corridor, I am none too sure as to why you choose to talk about that.

That is exactly my point. A potential original game ending is likely to have taken place here, as some great escape and possibly active "explosions" however, it was to continue on they could've done anything to make it a little different. Like an event that took place when you weren't there. I don't see how it sidelines to an actual deep plot or theory.

Cyowolf1122 said:
Also, ya really didn't offer up that much of an explanation for a cause to the explosion. Sorry, don't mean to really bash ya for that, just pointing it out.

That's what I'm saying.. if the in game evidence were clear and wanted it to be known, it would've been which is why I feel the way that I do. I don't take your criticism as bashing.. it's all in check, I understand your points, and hopefully you understand how I've addressed them.

Cyowolf1122 said:
Also, out of curiousity, you called yourself an "experienced game designer". May I ask of what? Don't mean to derail the thread, I'm just rather curious about the last bit.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :)

Of video games.. what else? :)

It is a very general position..

Thanks, glad to be here..

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:37 AM
"Huzzah!"
it could have been that all of the dragon eggs hatched and its the zombie dragons going on a rampage?

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM
"Huzzah!"
I think I'm just going to vote yes on whyme's and DragonBoots' ideas. They both seem like they could be true.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I agree with whyme`s theory the most.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:34 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
What happend to Egg Coridor?

When you're at Egg Coridor for the second time, it has been destroyed.
What happend?
"Someone set up us the bomb"

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: What happend to Egg Coridor?

someone set up us the WTF bomb.

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Well, the Dragon Sisters are visibly older than any of the other young dragons are, so they may have escaped from where they were being kept, blew up the computer room (the explosion caused the floor under the blue guy to collapse, knocking him out once he landed). Upon escape,they then went on a rampage, using their fire breath on everything, and causing one of the egg units to collapse on top of Basil, the white spiky creature that roamed at the bottom. The dragons were hungry, so they ate all of the Behemoths [elephants] and most of the Critters (they breed like crazy, which would explain their return). When the Behemoths were gone, the remaining Critters were in crevices that the dragons couldn't reach, and Beetles [and Basu] were found to be inedible, the sisters attacked the other baby dragons and eggs to reduce food competition, and when they caught onto Quote's presence, they hunted him down in an attempt to eat him.

I don't know how Kazuma managed to get his dragon out the doors though, maybe there's a set of steel doors hidden somewhere in order to let the dragons out. lol

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I dunno lol
Revolution, keep in mind that vBulletin's search algorithm sucks, so you have to be as specific as possible with it.

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:25 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"

I've always thought it was either when Kazuma hatched No.0, and that started some sort of chain reaction, or some sort of Doctor meddling. Most of the dragons that hatched were premature, and thus crazy, or the Doctor made them crazy somehow. Either way, it was they who destroyed the corridor.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Merged

For the love of Pixel, stop making redundant threads people :toroko2:

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Sorry, I used the search button..

Oooh.. Egg Corridor with 2 'r's.. hehe.. sorry :p

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:22 AM
"..."
What caused the explosion? Misery.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:35 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
yay for redundant threads inadvertently resurrecting 85%-resolved theory threads

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Now that I think about it, what ever happened to the instant kill thing that ran around the bottom of the egg corridor?It may have nothing to do with the explosion, but it would suck if it got loose.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:55 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
You mean Basil? Who knows, perhaps it just died.

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
it got loose into some part of the island we never see