What caused the explosion in Egg Corridor?

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:36 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Change of plans

I'd just like to point out that no one was hatching Zombie Dragons. Not only is impossible to grow something undead, I'm pretty the the Dragons are just underdeveloped fetuses and the word Zombie is somewhat inaccurate. Could have been a translation mistake.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:45 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I like the Captain's idea, that was always the way I saw them. They're weak, bleeding (something undeveloped fetuses are apt to do!) and discolored from lack of oxygen in the bloodstream. Plus, they're listed in the credits as "Hatching failure", reading "Failure" as "Premature".

As for what caused the explosion, maybe that's how you hatch sky dragons eggs - Asplode them.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:51 AM
Wait, if the hatching caused the explosion, why did the Dragons hatch early, and simultaneously? Personally I think it was a malevolent god who decided to hamper Quote's progress by smashing up the Egg Corridor.
Let us name this god "Daisuke Amaya".

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:13 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
Let us name this god "Daisuke Amaya".

I hold a small worship service every Tuesday evening, you should come sometime.[/MOSTLYSARCASM]

Maybe Kazuma screwed up, and he set egg corridor up the bomb when he tried to hatch egg -00-.
edit: I don't remember exactly, but do those number things in front of the eggs remain intact? because those could be the bombs.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
I hold a small worship service every Tuesday evening, you should come sometime.[/MOSTLYSARCASM]

Maybe Kazuma screwed up, and he set egg corridor up the bomb when he tried to hatch egg -00-.

Well I can see somewhat of a theory stemming from that...

Kazuma was trying to force-hack the password for egg 00, but when he didn't get the password right or something, he tripped the self destruct system. Then the explosion caused most of the eggs to prematurely hatch and caused all of the rest of the chaos in the corridor.

That seems like a theory that would fit.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:33 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Lolwut?

What a crappy self-destruct system...
Not only did it fail to stop the hacker, but it created 'Zombie' Dragons?
No wonder there was a crazed Mimiga running things there....

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:35 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
True True mine is :D

Well i believe its the kazuma theory but i also believe the core shook the egg corridor aswell :rolleyes:

Theres no right or wrong awnser to be honest...

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Even if I think Misery probably caused the explosion here's some food for thought...

Remember when Quote ran through the corridor the first time? Two eggs had abormal status... and inside them were no Dragons... but misc objects. Then later on, when the place is destroyed only two dragons were not zombie dragons... The two sisters. Plus assuming Igor had been staying in that place [the red flowers petals around the bed; and that's where the sisters attack... Revenge for Igor? nobody is taking care of them anymore?]

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:56 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
Wait, if the hatching caused the explosion, why did the Dragons hatch early, and simultaneously?
Egg + earthquake = broken egg.

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
andwhyisit said:
Egg + earthquake = broken egg.
So I suppose you don't agree with Igor watching over the Sisters?

I think it's a decently sound idea... Why were the two sisters different than the rest of the zombie dragons? Why were they hanging out inside the computer chamber? And they attack when you take the missiles..? [remember there was a missile launcher in there before... could be something of Igor's?]

Igor is probably smart enough to raise em (or maybe just feed them)... even though he was frenzied he didn't seem insane. Ignoring the fact about hiding things in their eggs, but being able to use the laser shield [probably? I mean it turned on when you fought Igor and was off when his body was gone... (and you see him later? If that is him.. (although the tie is pretty unique))] Plus his punches against Sue probably weren't killer punches like against Quote.

Also if that IS igor again at the Balcony... that means if an adult frenzied mimiga is defeated, they might not die; but temporarily revert to their normal state. Toroko died since she's just a kid, and besides JUST turning into the frenzied state, she could take a lot more damage/or at least took a lot more damage than Igor. Perhaps she was fed more than Igor was; or perhaps being a frenzied mimiga longer allows the body to adjust...?

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:57 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
So I suppose you don't agree with Igor watching over the Sisters?
Personally I disagree with all of the current theories, including the one I quoted. I was just explaining how the eggs could have all hatched at the same time, not to mention prematurely.

What we know is that Igor guarded the eggs, that the Zombie dragons were premature births, assumably due to the event that happened in the corridor or an earthquake, that there was an explosion or some other event that brought the corridor to that state in seconds, that the event is timed with the destruction of the Core, that the sisters are mature, that two eggs were empty, and that the event only affected the corridor.

The "Zombie" Dragons seem to be Dragons that had their egg shells broken before they matured. The sisters most likely matured faster than the others. It is also possible that the event had something to do with red flowers and that they were exposed, but I doubt it. The official translation may give us a better indication when it comes out.

Ultimately the biggest obstacle to an explanation is the event itself.

There may be a link between Ballos and the event considering that the Core was out of commission for a short while, but that doesn't explain why only the corridor was affected.

In the end there just isn't enough information to explain what the event was, why it was an isolated incident, how it occurred, or what its link was to what was happening at the time.[/WALLOTEXT]

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:20 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Wait..

andwhyisit said:
In the end there just isn't enough information to explain what the event was, why it was an isolated incident, how it occurred, or what its link was to what was happening at the time.

Wasn't it mentioned that the Doctor was trying to be rid of all means of escaping the island or something? I remember that being mentioned one way or another.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:22 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I always thought that the enraged Mimigas destroyed the place, since the Doctor had already gathered them by that time. Maybe he sent a small Mimiga army to destroy the eggs to crush any chances of anyone escaping via Sky Dragon (but I guess they missed one O_o). But they weren't thorough with their work and left behind zombie dragons.

OR

Maybe the Doctor was planning to use the dragons that would hatch from the eggs to send his Mimiga army down to the surface. But since Egg 00 was the only one close to hatching, the Doctor attempted to rush the hatching of the other eggs. This led to the eggs hatching prematurely and releasing zombie dragons. The Doctor then probably just left the place for dead as the zombie dragons wreaked havoc on the Egg Corridor.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:35 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Did the Doctor, or any of his henchmen, apart from Igor, actually know that the Egg Corridor existed? Also, Igor may have just blundered into the Egg Corridor, and encountered Sue. Recognising that he was supposed to catch her, he may have proceeded to do that, and then Quote came along.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Nameisnotname said:
Did the Doctor, or any of his henchmen, apart from Igor, actually know that the Egg Corridor existed? Also, Igor may have just blundered into the Egg Corridor, and encountered Sue. Recognising that he was supposed to catch her, he may have proceeded to do that, and then Quote came along.

Noh, Noh...

Igor said:
Noone may touch Master's precious eggs!
Some believe that Igor wasn't even under the control of the Doctor, but rather was carrying out his last duties through some sort of conditioning his mind underwent as caretaker of the Corridor.

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:41 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hmm. As a well experienced game designer.. I have decided to register and post my two cents here. Perhaps I'll become a part of the CS forums community, perhaps not.. we shall see. I've played the game through four times now in five days, and witnessed all endings.. acquired every item possible except the editor fang I read up on. In saying that, I've been reading up on this extensively and investigating very closely on several communities about certain elements of this game, and it's story / plot / design. Anyways, hopefully preventing being flamed for having only one post, here goes:

My theory is the well understood term designing teams use, "The game is too short."

Needless to say, judging by what we know as the "Crappy ending." That could very well have been once plotted as the actual ending for the game. What makes me believe this most is Pixel's passion and dedication (5 years?) aspired to make it much more than it was originally intended for.. leading up to the masterpiece we play today. The fact the "Crappy ending" was well designed and animated. (Which by the way, in my opinion is was a great ending, just purposely shortened and shut down to be lesser compared to the other endings as you have to work harder and go much further in depth with stories / secrets along the way).

I'm not saying for sure there is no plot evidence to support that it's just a random explosion witnessed by a (possibly broken?) robot.

A theory, nevertheless.. which after reading all of the posts thus far, I shall stand firm ground on believing.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well, I just have one final say one this.

Upon defeating the Core, a massive earthquake was sent through the island, as a result of a sudden imbalance. The Core, which holds some sort of control over water (hence the rise and fall of water during the battle) acted as the balance. Once that was removed, like popping a balloon, all the water it surpressed before had suddenly had an opening, leaving a certain facility in ruins and flooding a certain part of the island. (the room the core was in as well as the previous room, and the waterways, the highspeed area where you fought Ironhead was the water being released due to the fact that there was nothing holding it back anymore (which the Core was doing, until Quote nearly killed it [it was incapacitated and nearly dead as a result]))

Also, @Kirbyarm
I understand the concept of too short a game, however, it was fairly evident at that point that there was more beyond that. Plus, we are talking about current Cave Story, not any of it's previous betas or otherwise.

Irregardless, I don't quite get what you are getting at. Sorry, but it seems you are refferring to the Bad ending. While it does indeed come after the ruined egg corridor, I am none too sure as to why you choose to talk about that.

Also, ya really didn't offer up that much of an explanation for a cause to the explosion. Sorry, don't mean to really bash ya for that, just pointing it out.

Also, out of curiousity, you called yourself an "experienced game designer". May I ask of what? Don't mean to derail the thread, I'm just rather curious about the last bit.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :p

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM
The Core, which holds some sort of control over water -
I always thought the water in the core was some sort of ballast, but I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

Once that was removed, like popping a balloon, all the water it surpressed before had suddenly had an opening, leaving a certain facility in ruins and flooding a certain part of the island.
Er, this doesn't make sense. There are two places on the island which lead to the egg corridor, and the waterway can arguable lead to both of them, but lets take a look.
Way One: Water goes into reservoir, overflows it, goes into the mimiga village, then through a locked door then through a teleporter and floods the egg corridor.
Way Two: Water goes into the plantation (the only spot we really see water elsewhere) jumps out of its massive pool, climbs a few sets of stairs, falls off a wall, and splashes into the egg corridor, flooding it.

which do you think is more likely?

and if you're going to use the "oh, there might be some proof that pixel didn't put in his game" card, I think the corridor was mauled by cats in socks.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
What I was saying was that an earthquake caused the damage in egg corridor. :p Not water. The death of the Core affected many places.

I was probably a tad misleading in what I wrote.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Here is my theory...

The eggs were being incubated (sorry if I suck at spelling today) by a hidden flame under the floor powered by a hidden generator. Now, the doctor did not want any Mimigas to escape, so he sent Misery (because the docter is a lazy shit) to overload the generator with a single lightning spell. This caused the generator to increase its heat production into dangerous levels. The eggs begun to crack, but the generator (I guess its more of a boiler, call it whatever you think) begun to backfire and overheat. The generator/boiler exploded and the explosions touch some really inconveniently placed fuel and other explosions. As soon as the two made contact...

...the entire Egg Corridor was engulfed in a wall of flames. (it's a wall because the game is 2-D) In addition to the generator/boiler keeping the eggs warm, it also powered all the electronics in the egg corridor. The earlier surge caused the computers to explode (due to electrical overload) thus igniting a more inconveniently placed stache of missle ammunition. This secondary explosion caused the roof to crumble and colapse. The heat caused the eggs to crack and any healthy dragon could have easily broken out of the egg shell, but the dragons did not make it... (kind of) The falling debris from the celing fell down and cracked the eggs open, thus freeing the dragon zombies. The dragon zombies caused even more cahos and destruction throughout the egg coridor, completely destroying anything in their path, and left hell in their wake.

All of these zombies were a failure. All except for one... Egg 00 was originally an experiment. Igor (while he was still alive) was originally testing to see if there was a different, safer way to hatch eggs. So he decided to raise one egg (egg 00) using human incubation methods. The experiment seemed to be succesful. He begun to make plans the replace the boiler method with the incubation method. Sadly, he would not be able to see the day to complete his project. One day he was really hungry. It was a bit of a walk to get back to the village, and he could not leave the eggs unattended. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Igor opened the door to find a package. A package full of red flowers.

Igor had learned how dangerous the red flowers were, but he was so hungry. "What harm would there be in just a little taste" he thought to himself. He ate just one petal. He thought it was so delicious and unique, he ate more and more. After about eating half of the flowers, Igor begun to feel a bit warm. He thought he was just crazy, but he started to choke. He knelled on the ground, coughing violently, his eyes suddenly became bloodshot. He coughed up his own blood, and thats when he begun to transform into his enraged state. Being in this maddened state, he did not have the common sense to continue looking after the eggs. In his enraged state, he encountered and fought a robot, who was far to agile for Igor to keep up. After a series of bullets penitrating Igors flesh, Igor fell to the floor and reverted to his normal state, his rage finally quenched... his life finnaly ended... his dream however, was never accomplished...

But experiment 00 was successful...