Vote for Quote in SSB

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:54 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Huh!

It looks like Nicalis has started their own campain to get Quote into Smash.

All the indie companies want their characters to be in Smash, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Quote...

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:43 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
But out of those 3 who would realistically get it?

Shovel Knight, Shantae, or Quote.

A little nervous SK could beat Quote out in popularity

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:50 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Bramblestar1227 said:
But out of those 3 who would realistically get it?

Shovel Knight, Shantae, or Quote.

A little nervous SK could beat Quote out in popularity
If you want to be completely realistic, none of the three will make it in; a third party character is already unlikely, and a character from an indie game is even less likely. I guess Shantae probably has the best chance, simply because she's been around for so many years and started out on Nintendo. Shovel Knight I'd say has a better chance than Quote at least, since despite only being in one game, his game was released fairly recently, and is still being updated to add more content. Despite Cave Story being popular, the biggest problem is that Quote was only in one game, and it was released 11 years ago.
Seriously though Shovel Knight would be cool if he got in that would be awesome even though it won't happen.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:13 PM
There was a recent fan-made poll that had tons of video game characters to pick for Smash, and the winner was Shovel Knight.

If anyone is curious, second place was King K Rool, not counting options not on the list.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:37 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
ILOVEVHS said:
There was a recent fan-made poll that had tons of video game characters to pick for Smash, and the winner was Shovel Knight.

If anyone is curious, second place was King K Rool, not counting options not on the list.
I just saw that poll and was about to mention it here
http://imgur.com/cmB6EUB
This would probably fit better in the other thread, but I suppose it's slightly relevant, since Quote is on there. 0.30% of people voted for him. It's not much but... it's something I guess?
Also, Shantae didn't do much better, getting only 1.43%, so I suppose if we get any indie representation it'll probably be Shovel Knight.
But more importantly than both of those Lanky Kong got 1.26% and Shrek got 1.71% in fact that's the reason I wanted to see this poll just to compare the votes for Lanky Kong to those for Shrek

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Gabe Newell, N, Dig Dug, Korra, Earth Worm Jim, and even TETRIS BLOCK all beat Quote.

Yeah it isn't in the appeal, it just won't happen.

Actually Dig Dug would be pretty cool as a character, even though most of you have probably never played it. I mean, when most of my friends have never even heard of Duck Hunt before it shows to me that we won't go any more "obscure" than that, but… it would be cool to hyper-inflate the other characters.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:55 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Seeing the name "Mallo", the first two characters I can think of are either Mallow from Mario RPG or Malo from Twilight Princess. And I think Malo will be the more interesting character to see. Just imagine the Malo Mart Dance as his final Smash!

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:14 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Dig Dug would be so awesome! I love that game so much!

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:00 AM
Nintendo of America stated that third party characters are acceptable votes.

Anything's possible. Though while I love Cave Story, I think Shovel Knight or Shantae would fit better.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:25 AM
"Huzzah!"
Just curious, who here has played shovel knight? I've bought, haven't played it yet though.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:05 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Jpzarde said:
Just curious, who here has played shovel knight? I've bought, haven't played it yet though.
I've played it, and would totally be down to see him in Smash or whatever.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:38 AM
It's a great game, but I hate the fact that the Nintendo version is missing a bonus boss like the PS4 and XBONE versions.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:07 AM
War criminal
ILOVEVHS said:
It's a great game, but I hate the fact that the Nintendo version is missing a bonus boss like the PS4 and XBONE versions.
I think it's the bonus bosses part that makes Shovel Knight more a special character people will want to use in Smash 4, making Nintendo's characters, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man on his list.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:25 AM
Still, PS4 has Kratos as a boss, and XBONE has the damn Battletoads!

Wii U has no one.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'll play devil's advocate and say that Quote or Curly or any representative from Cave Story should only go so far as an assist trophy.

My perspective being, what makes Quote unique is his ability to fire various weapons in any direction. In the perspective of Smash Brothers, doing this would indeed make him very unique but potentially boring or unfair to other fighters. Not doing this would fail to emulate the sort of skill that comes requisite of being an avid fan or player of the game.

Megaman, for instance, plays like you're playing Megaman. Kirby plays similarly to a Kirby game. Many characters are invented and designed in such a way that they feel like they are indeed that character. But if I were playing Quote in Smash Bros... Why would I ever use silly weapons like the Spur or Machine Gun, when it's much more efficient to rush up close and spam the Blade, like I would while actually playing the game?

Which leads to another sad counter-argument: the fun behind Cave Story is the ability to change your multi-directional weapon on the fly and use it in the unique and goofy way you see fit for the situation. Megaman gets away with his similar case due to simply having weapons useful to those particular states of input and animation. I can't honestly say the same about Quote or Curly Brace.

I'm sorry, but my first vote was simply Shovel Knight on this, and the simple difference is Shovel Knight having existing melee abilities, and his special weapons actually acting differently. Quote? Aside from the Fireball, which is truly a momentum-based weapon, almost every weapon consists of shooting in a straight line. If there were more weapons like the Bubbler or Snake, that might be a different story, but... 4 or 5 actually unique weapon types feels really rather empty to me. I simply can't picture Quote represented properly in Smash Brothers.

So, assist trophy idea: Have Misery appear on the battle field and act out her boss routine for one cycle. Drops a falling block on someone's head. That'd be really cool.
Also Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't real. I'm a big meanie.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:36 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
In the last Nintendo Direct, Nintendo released a incredible poll for new Super Smash Bros characters!
The most voted characters will become a DLC for Smash for Wii U & Smash for 3DS!

Here's the Poll: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Nicalis started a campaign for the main character of Cave Story in Smash Bros: QUOTE!
p195159-0-j4xuije.png

EVERYONE! #VoteforQuote!
Sorry if that's the wrong place.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:42 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I decided to merge it into this one because it's more about cave story than smash bros

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator