Unused sprites

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I got a question about the unused sprites in the game (I searched found nothing)

I've noticed that there are unused sprites in the sprite sheet (the frog swordsmen in weed, cyclops in the plantation sheet) how do I use them in a mod? I want to make a killer robot enemy and the frog swordsmen look pretty fitting

Sep 4, 2008 at 6:56 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Well the reason why they're not used in the game is because Pixel did not wish to include them in the game. And since he did not want them in the game, I guess he did not bother to code them, making them unusable =/

However, you COULD use them by using the unused sprite to replace those of one that actually exists.

For example, you can replace the grave keeper's frames with those of the frog samurai slash-around-pwn-own-kill-bloodiness-of-doomage-hell-nuke-disaster.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:35 AM
"Huzzah!"
Replacement is the best way to go. There are no actor types that correspond to these unused sprites, so short of assembly hacking there's not much you can do with them without copying the sprites over another enemy's.

Here's a neat trick though that many seem to overlook. You can easily make a copy of a spritesheet and edit that one. For example, you could have an alternate NpcCave with the frog swordsmen replacing the Gravekeeper sprites as per Meta's example, and only use the 'alternate' bitmap in the maps you need it in. Though that means you can't have a Frogsman and a Gravekeeper in the same map, but you can switch between the two at will.

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:39 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Like everyone said, replace. Unless you're up to creating an entity of your own through assembly which I lack knowledge of.
Xaser...

Is..

.. Alive?

But..

Is Schism..?

S.P. tried to make one though, if I remembered right.

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
jcys810 said:
S.P. tried to make one though, if I remembered right.

I didn't tried, I made one.

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
How Eactally do u make a sprite cause im starting a mod of my own. Excuse my poor spelling im just so lazy

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:24 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
odin 2128 said:
Excuse my poor spelling im just so lazy
I would be more apt to excuse your poor spelling if it were simply a matter of not knowing how, but when you say it's because you're lazy it makes me want to clobber you.

What browser do you use?

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:18 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You make a sprite with a graphic editing program, duh?