Unnamed sci-fi MOD in dev!

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:39 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
k here's what will be set in stone:

ok, work with this (the first two rooms) quote wakes up in a back room of a facility of some sort. For some reason, the only enemy in the room (big mushroom) is completely harmless, dealing no con
tact damage. In the front room of the building, you see a computer, the only thing with power for some reason. You read a daily log of a scientist, who gave up his life to eradicate the mutants in the area (later turns out he spent what little life he had repairing your broken body, totaled after the crash). He left his pistol on the desk (thinly disguised polar star). You walk through an infected corridor (grasstown tiles with pipelines and critters). After clearing the area, you reach a lab. Take it from there.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:45 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Well, in order for the polar star to be a pistol you'll need to change its shot graphics, because those are clearly energy shots...

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:49 AM
It will be an energy pistol, I mean, if a hermit can build one a large team of scientists can build one, right?

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:26 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Of course they could.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:48 AM
then it's an energy pistol. I'm thinking of making it do 2,3,4 dmg instead of 1,2,4 dmg, just because the beginning might be a little hard :p

UPDATE: My egg spritesheet? to go with GIRakaCHEEZER'S song,bossy.org
diph.php

Yes I'm aware of the select box, this isn't meant for editing, just suggestions. On that topic, any suggestions?

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:51 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well the colour doesn't gouge my eyes but it does give them a light scrubbing with the brillo-pad. Perhaps some kind of colour changes are in order, but I'm not sure what to suggest.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:57 AM
yeah this is a beta, i'll smooth it out some. It looks pretty good used normally in egg corridor, look
diph.php
yeah its a bit big... whatever i'm too lazy to fix it :p

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You should probably spoiler that to save screen width >_>
And anyway, I still think that ultraviolet and infrared is not the most appealing combination of colours.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:36 AM
I meant for more if a really dark blue instead of ultraviolet, kinda like last cave color combo-ish. Ah, well, I'll fix it tomorrow.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:23 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
You should try some complementary colors

blue with orange
red with green
yellow with purple

etc.

Maybe change some of the tiles (i.e. structure instead of color) for a more custom look.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:31 AM
I was going for a direct copy structure-wise, but I do dream of making my own tileset. I need a white sterile labratory/slightly less white broken labratory tileset, maybe I'll try that. Hey is there any way to do a copypaste deal in cave editor tileset editor?

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:32 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:
I was going for a direct copy structure-wise, but I do dream of making my own tileset. I need a white sterile labratory/slightly less white broken labratory tileset, maybe I'll try that. Hey is there any way to do a copypaste deal in cave editor tileset editor?

If you want to edit pbm's, all you need to do is open them in mspaint, and save them with the extension ".pbm".

After all, a pbm is just a bitmap, with a modified extension (at least the ones pixel uses are).

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:46 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
If you want to edit pbm's, all you need to do is open them in mspaint, and save them with the extension ".pbm".

After all, a pbm is just a bitmap, with a modified extension (at least the ones pixel uses are).

But... In the "stage" file, the files were .pxe and .notpbm, or maybe I just suck at checking things.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:01 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:
But... In the "stage" file, the files were .pxe and .notpbm, or maybe I just suck at checking things.

There are both.

The pbm files will always be in the format "PrtXXXX.pbm" where XXXX will be the tileset name.

"pxe" files are the files containing where entities are on a map, "pxm" files are the files mapping out the tiles on the map, and "pxa" tiles are the files corresponding to the "PrtXXXX.pbm" which indicates which tile goes with which graphic on the tileset.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:05 AM
:0

gotcha, that makes things sooooooo much easier. Wait is there still the stupid palette-color-limiter-creativity-stifler?

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:07 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:
:0

gotcha, that makes things sooooooo much easier. Wait is there still the stupid palette-color-limiter-creativity-stifler?

When you open it in paint, first just "save as" the file and save the file with the same name, but save it as a 24-bit bitmap. Then when you edit it, you'll have all the colors at your disposal.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:12 PM
Excellent. Progress is being made.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:27 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
cultr1 said:
Excellent. Progress is being made.

That's good to know...

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:54 PM
Titles:
Cavestory 2: Breakdown... (yes like the song)
Doukutsu Monogatari Ni: Kaze no Uta

uhh suggestions?

And I'm starting my assembly learning session (thanks to carrotlord and noxid or knowing things I don't!), this mod probably won't have that much assembly, but I do have a few relatively simple ideas

EDIT: Japanese title fixed (thanks GIR)

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:00 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:
Doukutsu Monogatari Ni: Uta no Kaze

Cave Story 2: Wind of the Song? (Song's wind?)

I think you need to switch around uta and kaze there.