Unnamed sci-fi MOD in dev!

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:26 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've been messing with the script of CS for a while now, and I am now starting to piece together a mod. No screenies yet, but I do have a few rooms worked out, and a complete story made.

Story:
Quote wakes up with no recent memories (again), and finds himself in an old abandoned facility of some sort. After getting a gun, he sets off into the wild, and finds all of the scenery eerily similar to Mimiga Island, but with a new breed of creatures. After finding his way to a populated area, Quote discovers he is currently in a ruined genetic engineering plant, the biggest in the world, which was almost completely distroyed when Mimiga Island crashed into it. Chemicals in the air have caused the experiments to mutate and turn aggressive, and rendered what little remains of the creatures of mimga island completely harmless (leading to the creation of many new puzzles). The few scientists have deduced that the mutants have developed a dependency on the chemicals in the air, reactivating the ventilation systems in each area of the facility (with the help of power cells) will rid the entire zone of mutants.
long story. I have three friends to help me, but are skills our limited. I haven't touched the sprites (but know how), windows 7 paint doesn't like working with 16-bit color. I have one friend on basic wep modding, but too much change isn't necessary.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Re: Cave Story 2: Meltdown...

Personally, the only reason to keep the 16 color bitmaps is to keep the file size of the mod down. You can save it into a 32 bit bitmap and it will still work in cave story.

Although if you do decide to keep the lower number of colors, you can use the 16 colors paint normally gives you, then open up cave editor's pbm editor and swap the palette colors.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:14 AM
Story's not that long (five lines), although I like the basis of it.

Suggestions:
- The second you said genetic engineering plant, my first thought was that Mimigas were genetically engineered by humans, and that you are in the place that made the original mimigas* but now they don't make mimigas anymore. The scientists that were part of the mimiga project were making a new type of creature when disaster (falling islands hurt) struck (literally). Continue on with your idea of dependency on gasses, me like, but this could be a more in depth back story than just "a big factory".
- Amnesia once is tacky, twice is just bullshit. I know you are smarter than that. :/
- You really need a goal for Quott. Turning on the ventilation to help scientists and hurt the mutations is a fine first step, but just that and nothing more. Sorta like saving kazuma in CS. It vaults the story further, and is important, but you need something more in order to have an awesome game
- Chemicals don't do that shit. Be inventive. How bout micro cosmic cow-fibers?

Eh, that's it for now I guess.
Oh, I'd like to know what chars are going to be in your mod. I like having just the setting and the main character in common with CS, but you do need a supporting cast.

And any mod who locks this is an asshole :3

*But not to be sentient, mind you, they are the perfect bioweapons. A weapon that looks after itself yet isn't too terribly dangerous until you pull the trigger. From that point on, they would just destroy everything they ran into, and the varied traits of mimigas would result in unpredictable weapons (ie, hard to stop).

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:59 AM
Sorry about the short storyline, I was trying to keep it brief. It looked longer on my iPhone o_O
Extra story
Turns out, what the scientists call "chemicals" turns out to be magic. When ballos was crushed by the island, he was destroyed in a magical explosion, mutating the experiments and weakening the enemies who relied on the magic for power.

Need help here for story:
-Quote ends up on the facility (falls off of the sky dragon?)
-kazuma (somehow) found his body, took his memory chip (his body was too heavy for him to carry) and he takes quote's memory and asks the scientists to make a new patchwork quote (allow play as patchwork quote through mimiga mask?). The scientist who lives in the shack you wake up in (already made) has spent his free time repairing quote, and quote wakes up a few days after the scientist leaves to try and save the quadrant he works in (dead be fire you wake up)
-You find the new HQ of the scientists after some playthrough, Where kazuma restores the memory chip back in real quote. Patchwork quote wasn't properly shutdown, and he goes on a rampage, trying to destroy everything

Gameplay:
Switch between patchwork and real quote (flag check on mimiga mask for weapon switches)

PC press down to run script on enemies to render enemies harmless (tested already)

Home base customization (music choice, unlock bed, save, etc.)
Some resprites
Basic wep modding (I have something special in mind, but I'll need some assembly help)

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:20 AM
Woo facepics woo
100% credit to noxid

Quote:
p98329-0-suequote3.png

Patchwork Quote:
p98329-1-patchyquote2.png

I'm thinking green background is best, opinion?

More rooms finished, glitches squished, etc.

I'm working on the maps, script, and story, but I'm no good when it comes to resptriting. Anyone feel like turning mimiga mask quote into patchwork quote?

And then comes the issue of music. I have a special project in mind if anyone is interested please pm me!

Oh yeah tenative title:
cavestory 2: breakdown...
Not very creative, but yeah.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:35 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
cultr1 said:
PC press down to run script on enemies to render enemies harmless (tested already)

Motherfucking CQC. Gawd yes.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:05 AM
Fire1052 said:
Motherfucking CQC. Gawd yes.

CQC? Close Quarters Combat? Explain.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:25 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Uhm...I was bored so I decided to try and make a 'Patchwork Quote' sprite...I guess I may as well see if you like it.

I don't really like the 'looking down' sprites though. :p

diph.php

The image quality is pretty bad, but hopefully you can see it well enough to judge (It was either that or have it really small...)

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:01 AM
Alkerion said:
Uhm...I was bored so I decided to try and make a 'Patchwork Quote' sprite...I guess I may as well see if you like it.

I don't really like the 'looking down' sprites though. :p

diph.php

The image quality is pretty bad, but hopefully you can see it well enough to judge (It was either that or have it really small...)

This is good! A few things:
1)Make his patch a bit bigger
2) when he's looking down, delete one row of black, which is usually where the brim of his cap covered his eyes

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:35 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Thanks for the constructive critcism. I've improved it a bit now...

diph.php

Yeah, without that extra bit of hair the looking down sprite is a lot better. :p

I just noticed that 'PatchQuote' has a red eye in the face pictures too, so I added that. :o

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:17 AM
Alkerion said:
Thanks for the constructive critcism. I've improved it a bit now...

diph.php

Yeah, without that extra bit of hair the looking down sprite is a lot better. :p

I just noticed that 'PatchQuote' has a red eye in the face pictures too, so I added that. :o

Yes! Just a hop to perfection! A few more things:
1) make the patched part a little darker than regular face
2) quote's face is still entirely covered in shade while he's looking down. Raise the shade one pixel, just like the hair.
3) right-facing up-looking quote is missing a pixel off the top of his left eye. Compare to regular quote.
4) add more hair for down-facing and looking-the-other-way quote's, it looks like there should be more. In general, it seems to look best if patchwork has one less pixel of hair than cap in any sprite
Sorry for all the fixes, I can help tomorrow if you want.

Extra credit:
can you replace sue with patchwork quote but with a greyish blue eye instead of red? Like in the normal (left) facepic of patchwork quote, for cutscenes and such.

Oh and discuss pathwork's outfit color. Red's too similar, maybe dark bluish?

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:11 AM
Alright, here's version 3 of 'PatchQuote':

diph.php

Don't worry about the time. It's already 7:08 am here anyway. :p

Oh yeah, if we're thinking of the same thing, the bit of his eye is 'missing' because it's under his hair...I know that regular Quote isn't like that, but I just had a feeling that Patchwork Quote's hair would be thicker, or something, so it wouldn't be as easy to see his eye under his hair (And it adds to the sense of mystery...)

I'm working on the Sue-replacement right now, so I'll post it up here when it's done...

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:23 AM
Alkerion said:
Alright, here's version 3 of 'PatchQuote':

diph.php

Don't worry about the time. It's already 7:08 am here anyway. :p

Oh yeah, if we're thinking of the same thing, the bit of his eye is 'missing' because it's under his hair...I know that regular Quote isn't like that, but I just had a feeling that Patchwork Quote's hair would be thicker, or something, so it wouldn't be as easy to see his eye under his hair (And it adds to the sense of mystery...)

I'm working on the Sue-replacement right now, so I'll post it up here when it's done...

We were thinking the same thing, and yeah I see what you're saying now, good idea. Uh his pants are a little purple, I was thinking like Halloween quote's pants on CSWii... Gimme a sec I'll find the link

EDIT:
evilquote.png

DOUBLE EDIT!: I think I'm gonna go sleep now, can't wait for the new version tomorrow!

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM
Okay, copied the colour over to PatchQuote. Version #4!

diph.php

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM
And here's the edited Sue...well, I changed all the Sue sprites that I think have 'counterparts' to PatchQuote sprites.

diph.php

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM
Yes that color pants is perfect! He still doesnt have enough hair when he's lying on the ground or when he's looking behind him (like facing away from us).
This is gonna look great in the mod

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM
You decided anything about the weapons yet?
Also, dost the plot have more of a goal, or is it still wanderwin.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM
Weapons:
•missile launcher speed->0= minelauncher
•broken nemesis (backwards leveling, so lvl 1 is ducks and lvl 3 is lightning) lvl 1 needs 40 energy to level up, lvl 2 needs 2 energy, lvl 3 is default max (think blade lvl 3)

plot:
in short:
story: patchwork quote (I'm thinking of just calling him patchwork) goes crazy when kazuma takes the memory chip out of him to put into regular quote, kills stuff, goes on rampage,
kills curly brace
. There will be chances to play as patchwork,
you play as him against curly
, collecting weapons And whatnot.

Goals:
kill patchwork quote
and
recover parts to rebuild curly brace's body. Make this optional for good/bad endings?

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM
"Huzzah!"
Curly...
Why?

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM
to make it interesting.

It happens in the original game anyway
PS please use spoilers if you want to go into detail