Undertale

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
p181420-0-photomain.jpg

Kickstarter Page [Goal Fulfilled - Projected Release August 2014]
Summary: It's an RPG-style game where you take on the role of a young (purposefully androgynous) child in a world where monsters and humans once lived together, but monsterkind was eventually driven underground. The protag dares to venture up to a mountain where nobody is said to return from: they fall into a hole and the journey begins from there.

Visuals: The aesthetics and overall feel of the game are heavily informed by Earthbound, Mother 3 and OFF, and it's readily apparent right out the gate if that's your sort of thing (including a very obvious OFF tribute in the demo). The sprites are actually quite charming and have a lot of personality despite their simplicity. It's one of those games where there's a lot of color splash on monochrome.

Gameplay: Ok, so the battle system doesn't completely re-invent the wheel, but it's interesting. When you encounter a foe you can either choose to engage it in a hostile way or you can interact with it in some kind of friendly, diplomatic way (and then selecting "Show Mercy"). Every monster type has its own "personality" and you'll have to figure out how to get it to be agreeable with you in order for it to back down. Roughly speaking, there's an "attack round" (you can engage hostile, friendly or escape) and a "defense round". In the defense round, you have a cursor that you have to move around to avoid projectiles, in the style of a bullet-hell. How much the enemy damages you depends on how many projectiles end up hitting you. Every enemy's projectiles move in different ways too.

Oh, and I guess it looks like it's setting up to have a lot of puzzles in it even though the puzzles in the demo are very simple and obviously there for demonstration purposes.

Story/Narrative: Is astoundingly good and shows a shocking amount of promise for what appears to be about a ten-minute demo. There are a -ton- of endings you can get, and it's a case where the programmer literally thought of everything.

I'm not sure how much I can say without spoiling the experience, but I will say that this aspect is the one that shines through and it pretty much grabbed me by the balls unlike any other game demo I've ever played through. If I'm to give a hint about what to do...

Play through the game multiple times: The game and the characters in it recognize that you've played through it before and remember what you've done and their dialog changes accordingly. Do pacifist or semi-pacifist runs to start. When you feel like you're done replaying the demo, shoot for the worst ending possible (kill everything and everyone -- yes, the "random encounters" aren't infinite). Then let what occurs after that sink in. Go to the start menu as if you were going to replay again. Leave your computer behind and go lay on the floor for a while in a fetal position.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Looks really interesting...I probably couldn't handle the "kill everything" route, though, whatever it is. Going for the merciful route for me :>

I'm glad it got its goal reached...I'll download and play the demo whenever I can. Thanks for sharing, Dinny! :mahin:

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I found out about this when a bunch of rule 34 showed up, so it must be good. Furries wouldn't sexualize a bad video game.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Oh yeah, I liked this one when I played it. I also liked the music, especially the ghost fight theme. I only played through the demo once.
I did finish it twice though. "You killed her just to see what would happen"

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
Just beat the demo, and daaaaaaaaamn, it's an excellent game. Can't wait for the full game to release.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Watched a video

Pretty cool story, and it has a sense of humor

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:22 AM
War criminal
Played the demo and I'm impressed. All I can say is sorta has this Yume Nikki feeling in it (creepiness in some parts, player character's closed eyes). And I'm excited for the game's release.

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:31 AM
(Warning: Title/Video Art is a Spoiler of the game, play it first) This Song is pretty damn awesome. I love the way they mix proper instruments and retro-style music seemlessly. It sounds great and feels great.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:35 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
PolarStarGames said:
(Warning: Title/Video Art is a Spoiler of the game, play it first) This Song is pretty damn awesome. I love the way they mix proper instruments and retro-style music seemlessly. It sounds great and feels great.
Ooooh yeah, one of the best tracks from the demo and it whets my appetite to what's going to be in the full release.

And Napstablook's theme, for the OFF references.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:20 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I played it, it was pretty great. I'm definitely looking forward to its release now. Especially because it will have more music.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:39 AM
Professional Whatever
There is no option to stay with Toriel and it makes me quite upset

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I saw this and I've been wanting to play it but I'm not sure if I should hold off for the full game or start with the demo.
It seems like some heavy spoiler-worthy stuff happens, so I feel like that might have more impact if I can play the whole game in the same run I'm discovering everything.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Yakkers said:
I saw this and I've been wanting to play it but I'm not sure if I should hold off for the full game or start with the demo.
It seems like some heavy spoiler-worthy stuff happens, so I feel like that might have more impact if I can play the whole game in the same run I'm discovering everything.
The Demo is maybe 40 minutes long on your first run, and I would assume the full game would be much, MUCH longer, since it's an RPG and all that. So if you don't mind spoiling a very small amount of the eventual full game, play the demo, but if you want the ~full experience, you should wait.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yakkers said:
I'd say go for it. The nice thing about this demo, and why I think it works so well/has stuck with a lot of people is that the demo's story is almost like a self-contained story, or rather it's somewhat complete on its own. That and I don't think it really spoils anything that will have an impact later on in the game, although I could be wrong about that (only time will tell).

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
why are there mimigas with horns in this game.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Perpetually out of it
Something about this game reminds me of this, which is probably the main reason I like it so much.
The amount of awareness and thought put into the game's story is just amazing, not to mention the dark turn the story can take, and it really has the player think through their actions if they want the best ending.
It's a really thought provoking experience, and once you're done playing it, you get a much better insight to what kind of mentality you play with in video games.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
PS. The help file you likely never read actually updates to reflect your actions upon completing/recompleting the demo.

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di4fzlibEiw[/media]

I made this because I was obsessed with this song.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:22 AM
Perpetually out of it
Heartwrenchingly beautiful, GIR.
I especially like the added woodwinds, they really compliment the piano.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:39 PM
"Huzzah!"
This game demo is so fun!!!
Can't wait for the full game---More decisions to make the total gameplay time to be enormous!(I'm guesstimating it to be 10 days.)