Un-Advanced hacking FAQ

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
How do you know where in the exe the program starts? Like when you open Cave Story, what offset does it start executing commands at?

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:05 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
when you open it up in olly it automatically starts at the entry point.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM
graters gonna grate
So I'm guessing "RETN" outside of a subroutine ends the program?

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM
pretty much everything is in a subroutine, and no, I'm not sure at all what that does. I woulda expected it to be in an infinite loop, but...

also, if you doubt me on this point, just follow the functions back until the function isn't called anymore.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM
graters gonna grate
The RETN statement at 0x481F0B is not in a subroutine, so I'm guessing it's the end of the program.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:39 PM
well sure, I guess.
actually, click on that retn and write stop, then play doukutsu, then escape, and see if it actually closes or not.
more probably, there's an infinite loop and that retn is never reached.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
RETN is really just another name for POP EIP (taking the top value of the stack, and moving it to the instruction pointer) so RETN doesn't actually just exit a subroutine, but that is what it is almost exclusively used for. Hope this helps.

PS - RETN apparently stands for RETurn Near and there is also a RETF which is RETurn Far. I haven't looked into it too much, but that may come in handy.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM
which is why it's important to modify esp for every function you call, because otherwise you would be returning into a fairly random value.

er, jmp 9000 or whatever is actually just mov eip,9000 - right?

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:06 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
There are 2 versions of JMP, a far jump and a near jump. You are correct if you are talking about the far jump, but the near jump is actually more like ADD EIP,10. The near jump takes a single byte as its operand, so it can only jump a max of 0xFF bytes away. So since the only type of jump you could use in your example is a far jump, you would have to be correct.

Functions that don't have any paramaters don't need to modify ESP.

I'd answer the questions you left in my visitor messages, but I don't know the answer to either of them. Sorry.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:44 AM
Functions that don't have any paramaters don't need to modify ESP.
yes, bc they don't push anything
it's add 4 for every arg.

I'd answer the questions you left in my visitor messages, but I don't know the answer to either of them. Sorry.
:rolleyes:

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:52 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Um...coming from someone who's never even SEEN assembly before in his life...
(And considering where I asked this originally was in a pretty bad place...)

Would it be POSSIBLE in Assembly to make it possible to bring up the Inventory during a <KEY?

It would make my life a little easier...

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:06 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
tard answer:

Anything is possible in Assembly, you just have to Belieeevvveee!!!

Legitimate answer:

Yes, but I'm not sure how you'd do it.

0049E1E8 GameState [0: title, 3: normal play, 4 game over/black fade, 5 event, 7 status screen; &2=accepts input]

This is the Game state variable, fairly self-explainatory. When you are in an event, the gamestate would be 5, 00000101 but when you are at the status screen the game state is 7, 00000111. These are mutually exclusive, obviously, and it would require something clever to overcome this, because of &2=accepts input

That is, if I'm reading that right...

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:09 AM
Noxid said:
tard answer:

Anything is possible in Assembly, you just have to Belieeevvveee!!!

Legitimate answer:

Yes, but I'm not sure how you'd do it.

0049E1E8 GameState [0: title, 3: normal play, 4 game over/black fade, 5 event, 7 status screen; &2=accepts input]

This is the Game state variable, fairly self-explainatory. When you are in an event, the gamestate would be 5, 00000101 but when you are at the status screen the game state is 7, 00000111. These are mutually exclusive, obviously, and it would require something clever to overcome this.

Well, it's really just a minor inconvenience. I'll just have to resume player control and spawn a few solid entity 0s around the player so they can't move, and then just have an interact on where they're standing...

I mean, I'm helpless for assembly on my own. 0049E1E8 is the offset? I don't know, I don't even have OllyDbg on my PC.

Thanks for looking it up for me.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:12 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't think solid entity 0's are 100% solid, you might want to go with <SMP and solid tiles that look the same as the previous tiles. If the entities don't work. I know I couldn't make a bridge out of them...

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:29 AM
Anything is possible in assembly, you just have to belieeevvveee!!!
STOP QUOTING ME! >:E

Would it be PROBABLE in assembly to make it possible to bring up the inventory during a <KEY?
Every time you press key is dumb, so I won't help you with that. making another tsc command is real easy tho, just hijack the second face one and put in a call to the inventory. wgat nox posted earlier is sorta like a variable. it's a pointer, so ya have to address it like [54736897] such.
furthermore, why you capitalize random words?

I might be more helpful later, ie when I don't have a migraine, am not about to throw up, and aren't coughing myself to death.
woo!

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
SHWHAAT?
I'm pretty sure I just made that up and used it myself at least once before. You maybe had less of v :rolleyes:

Every time you press key is dumb, so I won't help you with that. making another tsc command is real easy tho, just hijack the second face one and put in a call to the inventory. wgat nox posted earlier is sorta like a variable. it's a pointer, so ya have to address it like [54736897] such.

I do believe you've had a slight misunderstanding. My interpretation of the question is that he wants to be able to press Q to bring up inventory whilst in an event and <KEY-locked, but still, a new TSC command that only locks out movement and jump might do the trick... or not, that might be very difficult as well. Hey, here's an idea, change the physics with TSC!

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:09 PM
Lace said:

I might be more helpful later, ie when I don't have a migraine, am not about to throw up, and aren't coughing myself to death.
woo!

New TSC command = YES!!!

...If I knew how to do that...:(

(Oh, and I CAPITALIZE random words to emphasize meaning, because my itouch is annoying with scrolling up to select italics, then go back down...)

@Noxid.

I'm not sure if either of you understood what I meant. I assume you're familiar with THIS mod, considering you posted in it. I want, when it's time to post evidence, the player opens the inventory, reads about the evidence, and when a flag is set for evidence presenting, after reading the evidence a "Do you want to present the =Item Name=? shows up. Saying yes clears all of the other evidence's flags, and sets the one for this. Then, the script has an <EVE to bring you back to "Are you ready to present evidence to do whatever?" Then you say yes, the script checks for evidence flags, and responds appropriately.

Currently, the only thought I had was locking the player in place with something (I thought that checking the "Solid" box in NPC flags in CE would make any entity solid? Am I wrong?), freeing them, so they could open their item screen and such, then interact where they're standing to continue with the "are you ready to present whatever?". Having a TSC command would make my life easier. I just want to open the damn inventory while the player is in a <KEY!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM
I meant Capitalize like that. Like, the first letter of the word.
it should be very easy if you tell me exactly exactly what you want this tsc command to be called, and what it should do.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:14 AM
Lace said:
I meant Capitalize like that. Like, the first letter of the word.
it should be very easy if you tell me exactly exactly what you want this tsc command to be called, and what it should do.

Hm. I'm not sure...maybe I'm not paying attention?

I guess it'd be called <INV or <ITS (for INVentory or ITem Screen)

I would want it to open up the item screen, and (here's where it most likely becomes too difficult) resume the script where it left off once it is closed.

Or, to make your life easier, to just open the item screen. I'd do the rest. (the only problem is if they close out of the screen without doing what I want them to do (look at my edited post), then I'm not sure...

It'd be like this:

<KEY<MS3<TUR<FAC0001(Okay, I should open my =Item Screen= and choose evidence to select!)<WAI0100<NOD<INV

No <END.

Then, IN the item screen itself, I can have all items (evidence)go to the next event. The problem of just closing the item screen still persists though. (MAYBE I could just have where you stand a short event that's just "<KEY<INV" so they could get back to the inventory if they needed.

tl;dr:
Command called "<INV" or "<ITS"
Needs to open Item Screen, and IF POSSBLE, continue current script on closing of item screen.
Sound possible?

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:05 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
If you're sneaky, you can do this in tsc.