Things like Cave Story..?

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:03 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hey! I was curious... What games, movies, music; etc have you encountered that remind you of Cave Story in one way or another~?? and why?

I'm always welcoming more inspiration ;)
A "game" or more like a computer visual novel I enjoyed recently [translated from Japan! although not freeware :p], Planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ was a big help~
http://planetarian.insani.org/index.html

It reminded me sort of what the world would have been like if the Doctor had been successful... And of course it features a Robot!
p8857-0-header.jpg

The thing I loved most about this game was her~! She really made me remember how robots are the same... yet so different than humans... [thinking of Quote and Curly] And I think I had lost sight of exactly where their differences lie... [I think Pixel did a good job with this!]
I'll definitely have to make sure I try to incorporate the robot spirit in my mod ;)

Oh and I almost forgot there should be a demo on that site I think..!
EDIT: Here's a Youtube video preview :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbGDmYEIx80

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:25 PM
Indie game enthusiast
It's been a long time since I've noticed a console game that I want to get and play...

What happened to catch my attention was Odin Sphere for the PS2. It looks interesting..! The reason I'm posting it here is well one of the races and main characters in this game are rabbit like creatures :p If that wasn't enough, the 2D nature of this game, the artwork and I'm hoping the story looks all something that will be fun to play..
Although it lacks the futuristic nature that Cave Story has and the retro-look, there's plenty of action and story... I figure it was worth bringing up..!

936463_20070423_screen011.jpg

Here's the Japanese promotion video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZb6pDxTiOM
Here's a longer Promotion video with some gameplay...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyAbRAayVjA
And... the English trailer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyCBEUgy3R4

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:54 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I wanted to get Odin Sphere but I've heard things about it that keep me from getting it. I only wish I could try it for free before buying it

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:45 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Hmm, what bad things have you heard? The only major problem I read about was the technical problem with slow-down... When too many things are happening at once, it occurs, sadly ;/ Maybe in the distant future we can run this game on a great emulator and have no pauses... maybe!
Also, one person complained about the amount of inventory. I'm still wanting it after reading that :D

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:56 PM
Slacker
The biggest negative thing that made me not want it that much was the POW bar, it lowers whenever you do anything, so that limits the amount of attacks and everything you can do. I don't like that idea =x

Also I heard that enemies don't recieve much if any hit stun, so they can knock you out of your combos..

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:12 PM
Therum
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Knytt is a beautiful game with a similar atmosphere to Cave Story.

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:16 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well, if we're talking about atmosphere Seiklus is pretty similar to Cave Story. Very fun too.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:50 AM
Slacker
I couldn't stand to play Seiklus, nothing but collecting and platforming. Little action to speak of.

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:40 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
What really stuck me similar was Star Ocean (it's for SNES, if you can't find the ROM, ask me). It's about these little alien guys that look like humans with tails. And this company tries to turn them into weapons by giving them a disease that turns them to stone. You become one of the last ones alive, and travel through time to try and rescue the planet. Completely different gameplay, but the story has some similarities.

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:03 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Hmmm Never played Star Ocean... Although I did try it once!
Someday/time I should check it out~

The latest thing that reminded me of Cave Story is a game I'm playing for ZSNES emulator is the fan translated game of "Wonder Project J english"! [google...!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8957wm0AWtU - a bad player!
It's a pretty neat game; basically you decide to help this newly completed robot, when its creator is suddenly wrongly imprisoned! Through your directions you teach and lead your robot [I named him Quote] to awaken his abilities as you learn more and more about the "island" you are on and about it's people!
There's trouble though, robots and humans have quite a grudge... can one new robot, a blonde faerie, and you make a difference? :D

It's been a fun little game to play..! More inspiration found!

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:24 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
this game looks pretty weird and annoying. is there any action in it? :D

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:18 AM
Guy with Sword
Wonder project is so annoying! You have to keep his stats balanced, if he gets too aggressive, he looses sensitivity, and so on. And no, there's very little action, at least for the first thirty minutes.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:18 AM
Indie game enthusiast
lol I just beat it! It wasn't so bad... Once I got the hang of it it went by real fast..; you only really have to build up your skills once, as you get further into the game you can get items that make it fly by. Although, sadly almost all of the really cool scenes are cutscenes and determined by how you built your character; I still enjoyed it...! lol the cutscene fights were always close..!
Not a bad game, it was a total change of pace, which made it fun~There were a few parts I really liked though, and that made it worth it since it was a short game~!

=The best part though, is there's a Wonder Project J 2 for the N64, but it's still being translated/hacked... The story continues into that one, so ...=

[Worst part.. is that once you beat the game you discover to see the TRUE ENDING you have to play it through once more but this time you are being scored! Agh!]

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:22 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
could you give me a direct link to the translated game download

im having trouble finding it... when normally i can find games pretty easily :rolleyes:

also heres the second one sorta translated i found
http://www.seiyuu.info/wpj2/

EDIT: found the 1st game and then i patched it so its all right now

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:49 PM
Guy with Sword
It's the 'one stat go up, other stat go down' thing that kills ya. Keeps reminding me of one of those Tamagotchis that you have to constantly take care of. But it is fun...for a while.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:01 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
The robot(quote, soz i copied you) says he hates me....
lol :D

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:10 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
xristosx said:
The robot(quote, soz i copied you) says he hates me....
lol :D

He isn't trusting you.
Praise him if he does something good until he opens doors on your command.
Then look for pudding and give it to him. It will boost his trust.

Yes, I've already finished the game.
Damn you, Gamefaqs!!! :D

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:55 AM
Guy with Sword
It really loses it's edge when you have to make him kick a soccer ball twenty times, then read a book twenty times, then sleep, then do it again.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:05 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
nah he says he hates me, right now im up to the farm bit but i cant find a grammer book as they are sold out for some reason... :D

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:34 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
xristosx said:
nah he says he hates me, right now im up to the farm bit but i cant find a grammer book as they are sold out for some reason... :D

Go in the house, let him walk right.
I only found it by accident as he walked on his own^^;

And that he hates you is his trust.
Press select two times and you will see that his trust is under 20.