The Witching Hour

May 31, 2010 at 11:42 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah, it affected trajectory. I remember a spot when I was on a high platform and suddenly got blown down to the ground after jumping over a wet sand spot. Pretty sure it's just downward wind.

May 31, 2010 at 11:56 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wedge of Cheese said:
-Aww, music isn't original? Well, that's okay I guess but I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one who uses original music anymore...

This is a good thing in some aspects, since there are a lot of modders out there who don't know HOW to compose music, or music theory. I wouldn't want to be seeing a lot of mods with "dissonant" songs.

Any estimate as to when another demo will be released, carrotlord?

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:08 AM
graters gonna grate
True, but I just kinda feel like if you can do it, then you should (at least sometimes). And the ability to imitate the music of others tends to go along with the ability to make one's own music. You rarely see one without the other.

Plus I wouldn't have made that comment if I didn't like the music ;).

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:12 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Wedge of Cheese said:
True, but I just kinda feel like if you can do it, then you should (at least sometimes). And the ability to imitate the music of others tends to go along with the ability to make one's own music. You rarely see one without the other.

I just don't like the idea of handing out music I've made originally willy nilly, since then I fear of losing most of the copyrights on it. For example, that silly ericjima went and stole the song "perfecta" I made and used it in his mod (he also stole the tetris room, quite literally). Plus I like to use songs that people will (hopefully) recognize in my mod.

Plus composing still seems a tad "hard".

Also the desert area graphics look a bit bland, and weird since it doesn't seem natural for sand to float.

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
DragonBoots said:
Is that how he did it? O.o
I thought there was hax involved...
I didn't really notice much in the way of mid-air trajectory being affected...

Wedge of Cheese said:
Yeah, it affected trajectory. I remember a spot when I was on a high platform and suddenly got blown down to the ground after jumping over a wet sand spot. Pretty sure it's just downward wind.

It is actually just downward wind. By placing invisible fans close to the ground, your jump height is reduced. This is to create the effect of muddy terrain. If you're standing in a large puddle of mud in real life, you won't be able to jump as high as on solid ground (due to sticky mud creating suction around your shoes).

But yes, it doesn't make sense that wet sand would suck you in before you touched the ground. I'm not sure if I can come up with a totally hassle-free solution to that, as implementing a more complicated quicksand-style system would just introduce new bugs.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
This is a good thing in some aspects, since there are a lot of modders out there who don't know HOW to compose music, or music theory. I wouldn't want to be seeing a lot of mods with "dissonant" songs.

Any estimate as to when another demo will be released, carrotlord?

Wedge of Cheese said:

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I just don't like the idea of handing out music I've made originally willy nilly, since then I fear of losing most of the copyrights on it. For example, that silly ericjima went and stole the song "perfecta" I made and used it in his mod (he also stole the tetris room, quite literally). Plus I like to use songs that people will (hopefully) recognize in my mod.

Plus composing still seems a tad "hard".

Also the desert area graphics look a bit bland, and weird since it doesn't seem natural for sand to float.

I'd like to believe that I have an understanding of music theory, but yeah, composing is hard. Some of the students at my senior high are taking a music theory course, in which the final exam is this: compose two full-length original songs. Only 2. Now, a full mod would require something like 20 orgs. It seems that you have the talent to do this Wedge, so therefore I applaud you, though I don't think I'm at that level yet.

Hm... I don't really have an explanation for the floating sand, but the next area should have a more interesting tileset.

Oh yeah, the next update might be around late June, as a really rough estimate.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:55 AM
Pirate Member
The music fits perfectly and that's all that matters ;)

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
WoodenRat said:
The music fits perfectly and that's all that matters ;)

Teh music is 1337

Bettar tehn mine

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:26 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
carrotlord said:
It is actually just downward wind. By placing invisible fans close to the ground, your jump height is reduced. This is to create the effect of muddy terrain. If you're standing in a large puddle of mud in real life, you won't be able to jump as high as on solid ground (due to sticky mud creating suction around your shoes).

But yes, it doesn't make sense that wet sand would suck you in before you touched the ground. I'm not sure if I can come up with a totally hassle-free solution to that, as implementing a more complicated quicksand-style system would just introduce new bugs.
Maybe try having the downward wind tiles only on spaces directly above the ground? That seems like it should work fine.

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:32 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
im still stuck on the portal puzzle, and still have no idea from the 1 block, 2 block thing.
could someone help please?

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:47 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
IcelaunchDragon said:
im still stuck on the portal puzzle, and still have no idea from the 1 block, 2 block thing.
could someone help please?

1 block means wrong. Resets everything you got right up to that point.
2 blocks mean right. Aim for perpetual 2 blocks.
3 blocks mean you did that one already. Doesn't affect anything.

3rd portal on the lowest level uncovers the hiddem 10th portal.

Rehash of my earlier guide.
Basically it's a lot of trial and error.
Once you get a few portals in you'll go "OH!" and probably solve it in 5 seconds.
If you *really* have trouble, try writing down the order as you work it out.

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:28 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
i got nothing.

what do you mean by '2 blocks'? do the tiles change with some of the portals?

am i supposed to have an item for this?

as for writing it down, i did that before registering.
i got to the 7'th portal, but none of the leftovers work, and there is more than one of the eirlier ones.

can't i just get the answer?

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM
Pirate Member
Hey you can try this for the wet-sand thingy. Just add a few horiz-vert triggers with flag details set as 0011 (bouncy solid)...I guess it would make more sense if you were walking on hot coal.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:38 AM
got the portal puzzle.
i needed to go to sleep.

EDIT: finished the mod. great, but i hate the mexican jumping beans.

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I've released a new version. 'tis a smaller update than last time, but I hope you'll like it. Download link is in the first post.

Oh yes, save files from the last version are compatible with this version.

VERSION 1.1
-Major revamp: Options menu
-Completely remade Goron's Theme ORG
-Changed some graphics
-New custom boss
-Finished off Sand Caverns
-Underwater Zone
-Crossbow bolts don't auto-accelerate anymore
-Portal puzzle is easier (guy with blue hat will give you hints in Easy Mode)
-New background for first area.
-New weapon
-Added a few custom sounds
-Applied the new WAV/drum hack thanks to Noxid & DB
-New ORGs

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
carrotlord said:
-Applied the new WAV/drum hack thanks to Noxid

Fix'd.

submacrofiller

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:32 AM
Pirate Member
That's great news carrotlord. I'll try it out when I travel back home tomorrow since I'm in a village. With an internet connection.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM
graters gonna grate
Nice! Looking forward to playing the new version! :D

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Looks awesome! Gonna download it now.
The music fits with everything, so does the graphics.

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Good demo! Can't wait for the rest.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Good new demo. I was frustrated by the logic puzzle in Netherworld and skipped it, though. WAT DO.