The random ideas topic of doom

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:15 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Share thoughts and ideas for cavestory, whiether they be game bg stories, gfx edits, weapon ideas, boss ideas, etc.; Whiether or not they are completly possible is up to your imagination.

(I made this topic because I'm getting annoyed by people going offtopic by spreading their own ideas in other topics. Sticky if you like, admin.)

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:24 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I have a very simple steel-themed conversion of the Sand zone tileset. I made it purely out of boredom and will probably not use it, so should I upload it here in case anyone might want it, or did you intend this thread to be limited to only ideas and suggestions?
It could be beneficial to create another thread for sharing real content in order to avoid this one turning into something of a request thread.
But then again, I think we are all independant enough to collaborate rather than leech off each other. Your thread, your call.

Other than that, I have nothing to share. I'm terrible at coming up with good ideas, and even worse at combining what little I have to a coherent shape.

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
(I made this topic because I'm getting annoyed by people going offtopic by spreading their own ideas in other topics. Sticky if you like, admin.)

Because of 1 topic who told another idea and 5 who were about other mods?
I don't get it but well... Wrong section *moves to mods*

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:48 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I would love to add short range weapons like a Sword or an Axe to Cave Story. Also, if some weapons could level up more slowly with use, like in an RPG, that would be awesome too. I came up with these ideas while thinking about the Mimiga hero who sealed away the "great evil." That's another idea I had, to flesh out the story of the original hero.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:18 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
short range weapons would take some big modding to the code right?

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:21 AM
Hoxtilicious
xristosx said:

Overall I prefer the word hacking much better when you're making modifications in a exe ;)
And yes, it would require to hack a big piece of code, but actually im not quite sure.

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:14 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
TooManyBullets said:
I would love to add short range weapons like a Sword or an Axe to Cave Story. Also, if some weapons could level up more slowly with use, like in an RPG, that would be awesome too. I came up with these ideas while thinking about the Mimiga hero who sealed away the "great evil." That's another idea I had, to flesh out the story of the original hero.

The thing with making them level up slowly is that you would also have to level down slowly when you got hit. You can't make it level down faster because it would take you a while to level up, and then after getting in some sorta of fight that lasts 30 seconds, you have to level all the way up. Too me it would be frustrating doing so much work just too lose it so quickly.

Also, the reason why leveling down slowly too is bad is because it would be too easy to keep higher level weapons. It could work I guess, but it would take a good amount of testing to figure out exactly what it should be. Unless of course, you are making it so you only level up, and the weapons can't drop levels.

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:37 PM
Hoxtilicious
Andy said:
The thing with making them level up slowly is that you would also have to level down slowly when you got hit. You can't make it level down faster because it would take you a while to level up, and then after getting in some sorta of fight that lasts 30 seconds, you have to level all the way up. Too me it would be frustrating doing so much work just too lose it so quickly.

Also, the reason why leveling down slowly too is bad is because it would be too easy to keep higher level weapons. It could work I guess, but it would take a good amount of testing to figure out exactly what it should be. Unless of course, you are making it so you only level up, and the weapons can't drop levels.

Which is not true, you can just make them level down fastly if you increase the damage the enemies give you.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:51 PM
I know that, but if it takes so long to level up, leveling down fast would be frustrating. Work for a long time to get a high level weapon, only to lose it after being hit a couple times.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:41 PM
Hoxtilicious
Andy said:
I know that, but if it takes so long to level up, leveling down fast would be frustrating. Work for a long time to get a high level weapon, only to lose it after being hit a couple times.

You have to balance it <_<
I think the whole leveling up slow idea is good.

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:49 PM
Unless of course, you are making it so you only level up, and the weapons can't drop levels.
That's exactly what I had in mind. And I mean it would take a LOOOONG time. Of course, you would have to have enemies drop more power-triangles as you progress farther (or just fill the end of the game with big enemies that already drop alot.)
Perhaps you could just shorten the distance that the weapon travels to be right in front of your own face, and fashion bullets to look like slashes? I would assume that changing how far the bullet travels would be a relatively easy hack to perform, but I've also never really tried anything like that, so i don't really know.
I think that using these you could make the feel of the game very RPG and cool ; ).

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:48 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Share thoughts and ideas for cavestory, whiether they be game bg stories, gfx edits, weapon ideas, boss ideas, etc.; Whiether or not they are completly possible is up to your imagination.
[bgstory...]
Cave Story is just part of the robots [Quote and Curly's] saga or rather it could be near the end of their journeys. Long before ever learning of the Demon's Crown those two robots have lived long lives.

Unfortantely for them, they don't have any memory of it!

Robots have long been in service to the countries of the world, a valuable weapon on the field of battle or a tool to make ordinary life easier.

...to be continued

Robots as unusual as Quote and Curly are bound to have had quite a history. Not only are they dressed unusual; The fact that they have no clear memory of who instructed them to deal with the Demon Crown, and of course the clear fact that they're skill is great enough to defeat all enemies! [with the help of you ;)] Leads me to believe there should be many more stories revolving around CQ... not that they would know! Even if they are copies of the original Curly, Quote; the last of their kind; or just two special robots. There's definitely a story before the Island ever comes to play... or is the Island what made them as they are...?

[gfx edits...]
Uh, it'd be cool to make a mod that has ocean areas..! Complete with scrolling background ocean! I can imagine CQ drifiting deeper and deeper into the ocean wearing a special pressure suit, to reach something at the bottom of the ocean...

[weapon ideas... ]
A shield! Or forcefield or similar something that can be created in front of your character... [possibly create an entity that can take hits for you... would be handy in a mission where you had to protect someone or something from getting hit!]
Or of course a melee weapon :p Like the sword but without the ability to throw it at your enemies! Would be a challenge having to get in the enemies faces...

[boss ideas...]
Perhaps a static entity? like a heart [Contra or Ninja Gaiden style~!] simply sits and you have to hit while mini bosses are being tossed at you left and right... [imagine trying to deal with an army of mimiga bosses while having to jump from moving creature or block] to hit ...

[etc...]
uh lol I'll pass

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM
Well if you don't plan on having the levels drop, then there isn't a problem at all. Even the other way could work though, it would just need to be very carefully balanced.

May 31, 2007 at 6:50 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cave Story 2 storyline

Well I was thinking and I thought of a storyline that will be good for cave story 2 or something. It happens after Ballos dies. The king that was killed by Ballos a long long time ago happens to still be alive but he was merely trapped while Ballos was alive. Then since Ballos died, the King rose to power and he too wanted to use the floating island to take over the world. Sooo... Quote, Curly and Balrog need to return to the island to stop the King...Im not sure how the king will use the island to take over the world but he does NOT use the mimigas. If he did the storyline would be just too repetitive.

What do people think of this idea??

May 31, 2007 at 1:29 PM
Personally, I dislike unofficial sequels.

Hell, I sort of dislike unofficial prequels too. Makes it kind of strange that I'm making one myself, but that's the way it is. Part of me enjoys expanding on (or more like... filling) Pixel's world, while another part of me doesn't want to disturb what is, after all, not my creation.
My stance is that as long as a fan mod doesn't contradict the original and makes no pretentions of being canon (Like Nator's mod with that disclaimer at the beginning of it) it is acceptable.

As for whether your story concept is good or not, I can't say.

May 31, 2007 at 10:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Needs a name

I am currently making a mod for Cave story...well it is actually more of a whole new game. It takes place after Ballos was defeated and the king he killed a long long time ago rose to power. This game needs a name...

So far ive created about 6 large areas which take about 15-20mins to complete. I think ill upload this game on the net when it is ready...or maybe earlier.

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:12 AM
Hoxtilicious
Im sorry but I just merged your two topics here, because normally we have one thread per mod ;) And you can post it here, because its both about ideas for a mod, soo...

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:47 PM
"Huzzah!"
@Orfvar: Actually, I find the idea of your "Steel Zone" tileset quite intriguing. Proper language aside, I think it actually might fit very well with the theme of a little something I'm working on.

In return, I've got perhaps a few small resources I can share. I'm sort of an unofficial pixel-artist, and I'm halfway decent with small sprites and edits and the like. Perfect for Cave Story, don't you think? Anyway, most of my stuff so far I'm not at liberty to release, but lately I've been toying around with the idea of city-themed maps, and so far I've come up with a rather nifty "Highway" tileset. I'm interested in seeing what others might be able to do with it, so maybe I'll post that up as a free resource.

So to add my 1.99 cents on the question asked earlier, I propose that this thread allow resource posting, but let's keep the requests down to a minimum. That's what private messages are for, hmm?

...A bit of a weird first post for somebody, right? I'm sure you were all expecting "hi lol im new" or something like that. ;)

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:28 PM
Hah! I had forgotten all about that tileset. I still have it somewhere around here, so I'll upload it tomorrow when I have the time (I'll try not to forget this time around).
Don't expect anything fancy, though. It's practically just a recoloured version of the original. However, since you're probably better at pixels than I am you can touch it up a bit if you still want to use it.

Your first post pretty much follows the norm around here. People just pop up from nowhere and jump straight in.
Now, if you were to actually complete a mod... That would be unusual.

Edit: here: http://www.dropfiles.net/filez/5136/PrtSteel.rar

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:28 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hehe, that tileset's actually very good, I say! Could become much more useful than you make it sound. Good job on turning the sand into the piles of debris they've become, at least. I can get some good use out of this... if you don't mind, that is. ;)

Sorry I haven't gotten back soon enough, but in all fairness my aforementioned highway tileset has been edited and re-worked many times since I last mentioned it. The map that utilizes it should be just about finished, though, so I doubt I'll be messing with it any time soon.

I've also included the .pxa (tileset data) file in the zip so you won't have to mess with trying to figure out which piece does what. It's a little different but with some practice hopefully somebody can get some good use out of it.

And without further ado, here it be: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lbuevs

Oh, and I'd show a screenshot of my map so far, but I'm not quite ready to start giving out much information yet. :)