The Official "I Just Beat Hell/MonsterX/etc. For The First Time!" Thread

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:55 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
magic9mushroom said:
The "shield" eyes will hit you for 10 when they close up (when his eyes re-open, they move in much closer than they were in the third form). That's why I said it will never work.

I guess you could get on the platforms, then after he transforms, jump down onto the spikes and immediately boost into his eye. Highly risky, though, and I'm not sure the invincibility would last long enough.

Er...
At least half of the times I use that trick I only take the 2 damage from the spikes...
It's not that hard

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
WOO! Beat Ballos with 3HP, minimal items. Thanks for the advice, magic9mushroom.

Final Death Count, for the curious:
B1: less than 20
B2: 200-500
B3: less than 20
Heavy Press: 8
Ballos 1: 5
Ballos 2: 4
Ballos 3: 2
Ballos 4: 1

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:23 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
naikou said:
WOO! Beat Ballos with 3HP, minimal items. Thanks for the advice, magic9mushroom.

Final Death Count, for the curious:
B1: less than 20
B2: 200-500
B3: less than 20
Heavy Press: 8
Ballos 1: 5
Ballos 2: 4
Ballos 3: 2
Ballos 4: 1

Great job :(
How the hell did you only die once on the fourth form? With minimal items that seems a bit hard.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I might have gotten very lucky. But my strategy was to spam Blade 3 at him, and he went down fairly quickly.

May 18, 2011 at 7:04 AM
/end
So, what was beating Monster X for the first time like? Putting this here since this is supposed to be the general thread for these kind of things.

I remember I was creeping along as it is because of all the Gaudi, but once I got to the area before Monster X I was moving even slower, and then BAM! Monster X runs right over me out of nowhere. I ended up beating him without dying, but it was a bit of a shock when I first saw it.

May 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I can't do it.. I can't.
I'm to weak..
Beating the 4 final bosses with 3 hearts and minimal items. It's impossible for me.
I keep trying and trying, but I can't even defeat corrupted doctor!
Anyone tips?

May 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM
/end
There isn't really any tips or advice that would help you beyond that you just have to keep trying until you finally do it.

May 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
MetaSeraphim said:
There isn't really any tips or advice that would help you beyond that you just have to keep trying until you finally do it.

Well, then I will have play to play it 24/7 and then maybe I will get to the Core in a year? :rolleyes:

May 19, 2011 at 1:35 AM
/end
You could always watch a 3 HP run on YouTube and try to copy everything they do.

May 22, 2011 at 5:59 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I finally got an alternate title screen.
Granted, it's only Curly, but still. I only need to eliminate two minutes and I'll get King.

May 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I think it's some sort of good accomplishment that I managed to get through the near entirety of CS with minimal items(Almost) and with 3 HP. I just keep dying at the Undead Core, because Sue is evil and sometimes hard to avoid..

I've mastered beating Misery and both of the forms of The Doctor, though.

May 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I've gotten all the way up to hell with minimal items and 3hp. I am too afraid to attempt hell though.

May 23, 2011 at 6:14 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'm also up to Hell with 3HP... No minimal items though. Don't know why - I mean, I've basically been using the three main weapons the whole time. (Well, that and the Spur...) Perhaps I should consider restarting, it's not like I'm beating Hell anytime soon...

Any minimal items tips for someone who has played almost the entirety of the game with 3HP and once reached Sand Zone with min. items without dying/saving? Do I need tips?

Also, GIR, thanks for that Core guide, that boss was pretty hard back then.

May 24, 2011 at 1:38 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
3'46.7"!
YES!
Next up: Minimal items run.
EDIT: THE. DOCTOR. IS. A. DOUCHE.
I mean seriously. He uses that big blast attack and teleports. Right on top of me. With no way for me to tell. While tose red balls are still everywhere.
I also beat him while right under him. His second form killed me instantly, as it was on top of me.
EDIT 2: YES. YEESS!
I'm not going to attempt hell for a while, so I guess I'm done with playing Cave Story for a bit.
The most annoying boss was either Monster X (of course) or Super Doctor. I kept randomly exploding from 5 damage, even when not really touching the Doctor. I assume the hitbox is bigger that the sprite.
The most annoying PART was either the gaudis right before Monster X or this one SPECIFIC bird holding a skull. It's the one right after the three above that platform that is low enough to jump on. It kept killing me...
But that's all done. I'm free. And I feel little accomplishment. Oh well...
(It occured to me how much it would suck to die to a falling block after the Undead Core.)