The Official CSTSF Discord Group and CS Modding Community Modding Competition! (MODCON '17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2017 at 7:29 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I win by fostering the growth of good content and providing a positive environment for creators to showcase their work

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:32 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I guess that's a little better than manipulating the rules in your favor.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:34 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I will yell at dunc again. I even offered to do it if he sent them to me.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 2:35 AM
War criminal
Least we now know Modcon 2018 is a possibility.

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:27 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Drumroll please...
p361621-0-complicatedoldicterinewarblermax1mb.gif

Judges Results ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Community Vote
1. Treasure Island (Noxid) +$30 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀1. Treasure Island (Noxid) +$30
2. Shipwrecked (Seasons) +$15 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀2. Shipwrecked (Seasons)​
3. Critter Tower Defence 2 (Txin) +$5 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀3. Critter Tower Defence 2 (Txin)​
4. Beach Cave (duncathan) ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀4. Sushi Strikes Back (EnlightendOne)⠀​
5. Sushi Strikes Back (EnlightendOne)⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀5. Beach Cave (duncathan)

And the details:
p361621-1-morefficial.png
Code:
Treasure Island: 38 points
Shipwrecked: 34 points
Critter TD 2: 24 points
Sushi Strikes Back: 22 points
Beach Cave: 17 points

Prizes will be distributed privately in five month's time. Sorry for the wait.

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:41 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:34 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Prizes will be distributed privately in five month's time. Sorry for the wait.
Admittedly, forgetting about the judging period in lieu of my classes picking up the pace helped me deal with the wait, but all that matters in the end is that it finally concluded and with 14 days to spare, too. The results have me as ecstatic as I can be at 1:30am, and I can't wait for the streaming of the top 3 mods. Here's to hoping that it takes place sometime this month.

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:54 AM
War criminal
Yeah um, I have a couple questions regarding CTD2 ranking so high.

When the mod was released, literally only 5 people were able to play it, and Txin said he will update it to make sure it was fixed for more people to use. However, Enlight stated at the time that the updates will not count to the score as the initial version was already submitted and Txin obliged to the terms.

How many votes were based on the initial version and how many were based on the later updated versions?

It just seems off there's a large light green bar for "Lack of outright technical problems" as a majority of players couldn't play the mod to begin with!

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:32 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Do you know what words mean

I already docked it relatively hard considering that its two biggest running flaws were either system-specific (do we really have that many people not running Windows 8 or higher?) or optional (transparency) and beyond that it ran very consistently considering the scope of its modification and contained almost no actual scripting errors. None of the mods really stood out as being programmatically spotless, with Shipwrecked being the only one that was somewhat close. The bars in general are large because that's how we've been doing things in the past, i.e. by starting with a value and then docking from it by comparing entries relatively. I only made the chart after I and the other judges had already agreed on the combined final positions as a bit of extra fun. I'm not going to be entertaining the notion of any bias towards CTD2 (or anything else for that matter) when that actual complaint now ultimately amounts to why it isn't ranked behind two last-minute half-entries.

I'm presuming that Noxid wasn't being serious but either way I'm just going to say now that I am fully intending/deciding to run the main modding context next year myself (as a non-entrant) and will be making certain I have the whole thing planned from the get-go. It's going to be more properly compact in terms of scope, in hopes of getting as much involvement as possible and setting a workable precedent for future events.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:51 PM
War criminal
wut is wurd? me no speaky inglish and me no know wut wurd is

I actually hold nothing against CTD2, I was actually more in favor of the mod. All in all from what you said though, it does make more sense, now.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:13 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
I think the only scores that are throwing me for a loop are Shipwrecked's 2nd-to-lowest and, to a lesser extent, Beach Cave's lowest "Depth of modding techniques" score. I remember being told that ASM wasn't going to be favored this time around, yet it looks like every mod that used it to some extent scored higher in that category than those who didn't. Not upset or anything (a bit late for that), but just confused is all.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I mean i was a little serious, if i had to i think i could do the job "right".
Anyway i like the scoreboard good job nice sun

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:01 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I can finally sleep...

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:18 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
I think the only scores that are throwing me for a loop are Shipwrecked's 2nd-to-lowest and, to a lesser extent, Beach Cave's lowest "Depth of modding techniques" score. I remember being told that ASM wasn't going to be favored this time around, yet it looks like every mod that used it to some extent scored higher in that category than those who didn't. Not upset or anything (a bit late for that), but just confused is all.
If you don't know how long it takes to write 10000 lines of code, do that and then tell me a higher place isn't deserved :)

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:31 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If you don't know how long it takes to write 10000 lines of code, do that and then tell me a higher place isn't deserved :)
Wasn't a good part of CTD2's ASM written before this year's modcon started...?

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:32 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Wasn't a good part of CTD2's ASM written before this year's modcon started...?
Again, it was the hacks usable in pretty much any mod. Only the transparency and mouse input
I even imported the music player library after the contest started

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:05 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
The point still stands, though. What I was told and what happened were two different things.

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:18 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

Time spent working on the mod is of no relevance, neither is the amount of custom ASM lines. You don't get to boast and act like you're hot stuff when I was on the verge of disqualifying you for not respecting the theme, the spirit of the competition, or (arguably) the "no anterior work" clause. You managed to win something thanks to the lack of participation, even though you got third place in front of two last-minute entries, behind a mod that barely had any ASM, if at all. If you could at least act humbly for once...
______

I won't make any excuses, the judging process was a bit dubious and you're right to wonder about that. Ultimately though, we more or less agreed on the end result, and the removal of the "depth of modding techniques" category would not have changed it.
______

Also, DISCLAIMER @everyone arguing about the chart: DT's graphic does NOT actually represent any kind of real point system used during the judging process, I don't know where he pulled that from. The size of the bars is an approximate indication of our opinions on every mod for each category, but should NOT be taken at face value.
______

Regardless: congrats to the winners, and see you all in 2018!

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:23 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Time spent working on the mod is of no relevance, neither is the amount of custom ASM lines. You don't get to boast and act like you're hot stuff when I was on the verge of disqualifying you for not respecting the theme, the spirit of the competition, or (arguably) the "no anterior work" clause. You managed to win something thanks to the lack of participation, even though you got third place in front of two last-minute entries, behind a mod that barely had any ASM, if at all. If you could at least act humbly for once...
______

I won't make any excuses, the judging process was a bit dubious and you're right to wonder about that. Ultimately though, we more or less agreed on the end result, and the removal of the "depth of modding techniques" category would not have changed it.
______

Also, DISCLAIMER @everyone arguing about the chart: DT's graphic does NOT actually represent any kind of real point system used during the judging process, I don't know where he pulled that from. The size of the bars is an approximate indication of our opinions on every mod for each category, but should NOT be taken at face value.
______

Regardless: congrats to the winners, and see you all in 2018!
No worries. I was just wondering if a little light could be shed on that category, but it's really not that big a deal as you said. Also, I appreciate your reply to Xin.

Honestly, I just hope that more people submit entries during the next modding contest, regardless of whether or not the theme is as "different" as this one was; the contest definitely feels more special the more entries it gets.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM
War criminal
Honestly, I just hope that more people submit entries during the next modding contest, regardless of whether or not the theme is as "different" as this one was; the contest definitely feels more special the more entries it gets.
I'm sure there'll be more members next year! hint hint

Status
Not open for further replies.