The Mother of All Cave Story Questions

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:24 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
"Tides are caused by a gravitational pull. Though what we are seeing has nothing to with gravity, or the floating of the island, but more to do with the way the core floats."

The core is keeping the island floating, isn't it? It also has some influence upon the water level, since it only changes drastically in the middle of the core fight. The platforms in the chamber are pretty obviously prefabs brought in by scientists studying it/investigating it - without them, the core would be unstoppable in combat. The some robots from another country come by, and assault the base. They kill the scientists, start wrecking the base, and make the mistake of attacking the core. The final result is pretty obvious.

Anyway, the soundtrack is called geothermal for the core area, so there's at least a teensy hint about it being a power source.

Those antenna have to be good for something, right? Isn't it a standard convention that robot + antenna = super senses? Besides, the darker areas tend to be different shades of blue anyway. And he could be using echolocation, or multiple frequencies, or some other system. Not really much of a technological hurdle.

Anyway, the viewpoint is third person, so clearly we're getting a representation of what quote's picking up, but not his actual PoV. I think I made a post on this theory last year. Yay for post history lookups.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Slife said:
"Tides are caused by a gravitational pull. Though what we are seeing has nothing to with gravity, or the floating of the island, but more to do with the way the core floats."

The core is keeping the island floating, isn't it? It also has some influence upon the water level, since it only changes drastically in the middle of the core fight.
As I said, the change in water level could be related to the way core floats.

The core doesn't make the island float but rather stops it from falling. Something else makes the island float because it floats perfectly fine when both the core and Ballos are dead.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:44 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Well, yeah. The natural state of the island is floating. This perfectly balances out gravity

Ballos is all "YARG! I WILL CRUSH PUNY ISLAND" and pulls it down with force B.

The core is all like "NOT SO FAST! YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD", and pushes it up with force C.

Now, Ballos is a tricky guy, so he's all "HAH, I'LL JUST STOP PUSHING FOR A SECOND, AND THEN EVERYONE WILL HIT THE CEILING".

And the core's like "I SEE THROUGH YOUR CLEVER RUSE", and matches Ballos' output exactly.

Well, not quite exactly. There's always going to be some delay in reaction. So Jenka's all "WHO CARES IF SOME WATER SLOSHES AROUND" and has the core use the water as an inertial sink to stabilize the rest of the island - the rock portion of the island remains steady, the water splashes about like a magikarp.

Tides wouldn't be nearly fast enough.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM
/end
Slife said:
Well, yeah. The natural state of the island is floating. This perfectly balances out gravity

Ballos is all "YARG! I WILL CRUSH PUNY ISLAND" and pulls it down with force B.

The core is all like "NOT SO FAST! YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD", and pushes it up with force C.

Now, Ballos is a tricky guy, so he's all "HAH, I'LL JUST STOP PUSHING FOR A SECOND, AND THEN EVERYONE WILL HIT THE CEILING".

And the core's like "I SEE THROUGH YOUR CLEVER RUSE", and matches Ballos' output exactly.

Well, not quite exactly. There's always going to be some delay in reaction. So Jenka's all "WHO CARES IF SOME WATER SLOSHES AROUND" and has the core use the water as an inertial sink to stabilize the rest of the island - the rock portion of the island remains steady, the water splashes about like a magikarp.

Tides wouldn't be nearly fast enough.

This made me laugh.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I'm afraid to argue with Slife. He makes so many clever references that I don't feel like I could keep up. Good show, good show!

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:03 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Dammit, Slife, stop that! We can't theorize about anything if you solve it all...

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:06 PM
/end
Slife is now dubbed the topic ender.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
MetaSeraphim said:
Slife is now dubbed the topic ender.
Yeah, he might have that as his title.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
T-Jack said:
Yeah, he might have that as his title.
Hmm.. Should I? :)

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:58 AM
Banned
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Mar 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM
Banned
andwhyisit said:
Hmm.. Should I? :D

No. I recently realized that I can, in fact, beat him. I can either scream, or play TWEWY to make my brain work until I come up with something.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:58 AM
/end
G. freemaan said:
should you what?

If you read the post he quoted you would know he's talking about giving him the title "Topic Ender".

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:59 AM
Banned
ohhhhh....BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If Slife is "Topic Ender", then he'd win every thread, don't you think? Fire? MS?

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM
/end
Well he did win this thread in a way since no one has made a retort yet.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:56 PM
Banned
True, true. I'm slowing coming up with something, though.

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
G. freemaan said:
ohhhhh....BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, this topic is goin' way off.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM
/end
We've already gotten back on topic if you haven't noticed.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well we might as well return to the original topic. How we can see? At all? I personally very much disagree with Slife on the issue of lighting besides possible light rigging in the egg corridor, and especially on the idea of Quote using radar in first cave when it so happens to fail him in the dark room. Along with the idea that quote can identify spikes on radar when that is damn near impossible.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:19 AM
Banned
ADVICE: IGNORE EVERYTHING THAT SLIFE SAID. HE/SHE NEVER COMMENTED ON THIS THREAD. IT WAS JUST YOUR IMAGINATION!