The Mother of All Cave Story Questions

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:36 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
onlineworms said:
Almost all places in CS are made by blocks.
Have you ever seen such some "natural" caves?
The most reasonable explaination is that those places are artificial.
And most of those blocks contained light magic which was from the creator of the island.
Maybe Jenka.
The places are not artificial, the blocks are.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
andwhyisit said:
The places are not artificial, the blocks are.
Natural place made of artificial blocks? Huh, makes sense...

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:30 AM
Been here way too long...
No, they're natural caves with artificial blocks in them. I don't know if you're ever been in a cave, bu they're not easy to get around in. Excavations and construction obviously took place at some point, which actually makes the glowing rocks theory weaker. Unless the blocks are made from the rocks. That makes sense.

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:56 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think Jenka provided the light for the island with her magic when she imprisoned Ballos (she did a bunch of other stuff to the island, after all; if she knew she was going to retire to the Sand Zone and raise puppies it isn't unreasonable of her to light the island's inside). Either that, or Ballos's magic is doing it somehow. After all, it rages out of control at all times before he is defeated (and was apparently causing the island to fall, given the fact that it stops doing so after his death).

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Holes

That would be saying that the Mimigas and everything else on the Island only came into existance as they do now when Jenka and Ballos showed up....
Which leads to the question of how long those two have been there, since there have already been 3 previous crown bearers before Doctor.....
And it would've had to be Jenka's magic, not Ballos', or everything would've gone pitch-black when you killed him, and through the Ending Cutscenes, we can see that's not the case...

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You are right that would probably Jenka's magic in that case. The mimigas could have already been living on the island before, though. Maybe they just lived on the surface or in the shallow caves until Jenka illuminated the underground caves (I imagine the light is what allows the plants to bloom despite the lack of sunlight to engage in photosynthesis). The cockroaches in the labyrinth were moved there to guard the core, but as cockroaches they would have been fine living in darkness if they were in some other caves before that. As for how long it's been, about the only thing we have is Ballow's "ages upon ages ago." The first two crown bearers evoke an image of ancient Egypt to me, personally, so I would say a few thousand years before the game.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:14 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh...

Thousand years?
The last wearer was only 10 years ago. I don't think the others lasted as long.
I mean, look at the Doctor....
I don't think he even lasted a full year....

Considering the amount of stamina/skill it would take to keep the entire Island lit 24/7, you'd think Jenka would be incredibly powerful, too.
But Balrog seemed to have taken her on, no problem....

It just seems more likely that something more permanent that's always been apart of the Island is what's keeping it all alight.
And it'd be pretty silly to have one person control all of the light.....
When they died, everyone in the Island would be screwed.... {No light, so no way to find the exit}
Why would Pixel do that? :D

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:38 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think there were very long gaps between the crown bearers. Miakid and Date are so close because it's the modern period, the earth has "rediscovered" the island, per se, thanks to the flying machines (helicopters and airplanes, because it would be much harder to reach the island before that, except for a few gifted magic users like Misery).

I think Jenka's alterations to the island were permanent, back when she was in her prime as a very powerful witch. But now that she is exhausted her powers and grown old she is gotten frail and useless (consider that she went from being able to capture and trap Ballos to getting mugged by a talking toaster).

The island with the core and Ballos floats. The island with Ballos alone sinks, and the island without either floats. So yeah, the island could probably float on its own before Ballos was put inside, and Jenka probably created the core after she realized that putting Ballos on the island made it fall. Then she stuck it in the labyrinth with the cockroach thingies as guardians.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:53 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

Yeah, the Island floats on it's own.
Actually, this was all explained before in another thread....

Anyways, I'd like to bring up another quote from my database:
"The best possible theory is the one that requires the least amount of assumptions."
With your theory, we've got to assume a lot about Cave Story's past that we're never ever told about.
Jenka's powers, how the Mimigas and everyone on the Island evolved {In darkness or light}, the entire Crown timeline....
At this rate, it's becoming fan-fiction....

We should stick with what we know from Cave Story.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:32 AM
why?
the entire theories section is for exploring what we don't know.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:37 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

And there's an infinite amount of ways to explain what we don't know.
We could say Space Monkeys were just playing a puppet show, and Quote and the rest were really puppets.
We want the theory that takes the least amount of assumptions to be true, because that would fit best what we know.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:03 AM
I can think of at least three plausible arguments for space monkeys, and many more against it, each requiring very few assumptions to be true. While your point is a good(ish) one, it still doesn't do to shut down a theory because you don't like it/already have a better one. It is stupid and shuts down your mind to learning new things and being accepting of other peoples thoughts and ideas. You show this perfectly, with your condescending "heheh" at the beginning of every post when you're having an argument. It's not that you're right, it's that you are too sure of yourself and your ideas to even think about anyone elses. I respect you, I really do, but being too goddamned stubborn makes nobody like you.

hmm... sorry if that intelligent argument turned a bit into slander at the end. just try to open your mind to other ideas, okay? :D

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:13 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

Yeah, maybe I should keep an open mind, but we can't have too many theories....
A theory is disproven/proven when new facts rise, right?
But we don't get any of those for Cave Story.....
So we've got to use a different method, or we'll just have a bazillion theories per question, which doesn't seem helpful at all....

Shouldn't we build a theory on what we know, instead of assuming things that could just as easily be wrong as right?

{And the "Heheh"'s are a force of habit, since all of my posts have titles.}

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:41 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Yeah, maybe I should keep an open mind, but we can't have too many theories....
A theory is disproven/proven when new facts rise, right?
But we don't get any of those for Cave Story.....
So we've got to use a different method, or we'll just have a bazillion theories per question, which doesn't seem helpful at all....

Shouldn't we build a theory on what we know, instead of assuming things that could just as easily be wrong as right?

{And the "Heheh"'s are a force of habit, since all of my posts have titles.}

Uhm, not to rain on your proverbial parade, but a theory is never proven.
A theory is merely the best explaination for the information we have gathered.

Thus, I propose the two rules of a good theory, and attached quotes:

Eintstein said: "A thousand experiments could never prove me right, but a single experiment could prove me wrong."

With that said, a theory is disproven when contratictory information that cannot be explained by the original theory is discovered.
In this event, get a new theory than includes the new data.

And:

"When competing hypotheses are equal in other respects*, the selection of the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities while still sufficiently answering the question is recomended." - Gist of Occams' Razor

In other words, keep it simple, stupid.

* = Meaning applied to the same set of data.

There's some pocket change to chew.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:46 AM
to me it isn't about helpful, it's about interesting.

(not responding to you boots cause that pretty much makes sense to me)

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM
This Troper
I thought this forum was mainly about having fun, not discovering the truth behind Cave Story. I admit, I've been too serious about some at times, and for that, I apologize. Now, to the point: I get what Lowell means, i.e. cut the amount of bullshit theories, but he's little too harsh. Assuming that only the theory that needs the least amount of assumptions (i.e. "It's fucking magic, you idiot!") is worth discussing is, well, dumb. Also, applying Occam's Razor here is a bit excessive, but otherwise, I agree: Don't make up bullshit to cover the cracks in your theory.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Holy cow, this thread is still alive?

I'm beginning to think it's just one of those things that can't really be explained.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM
This Troper
Icarus said:
Holy cow, this thread is still alive?

I'm beginning to think it's just one of those things that can't really be explained.
No, this thread was pretty much dead until you revived it. Nice Job Breaking It, Hero.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
I like the luminous mushroom theory the best.

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM
T-Jack said:
No, this thread was pretty much dead until you revived it. Nice Job Breaking It, Hero.
QFT.
Now sleep, good thread. Sleep.