The great pirate debate of 2011

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:20 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Cave Story+

Bunched panties aren't comfortable at all, that's for sure.
:sue: (her panties are in a bunch)

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:46 AM

MetaSeraphim said:
There sure are a lot of people in this thread that need to get their panties out of a bunch.
How else am I going to fit the whole thing in my mouth!?

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Deep throat.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Byakuran1195 said:
I used to think like that long time ago, but don't you think that if you like something you should show the people that created it that you liked? By pirating you don't do a damn thing for them just: "oh, it's nice but you guys don't deserve a **** for it". I really loved Cave Story and was kind of sad that it was free and I didn't have a way to show pixel that I really loved the game (since I don't have a Wii or a DSi or a 3DS), now with Cave Story+ I finally got the chance and even if I was to get a free copy with the beta I would probably buy it on steam again to show my support. But that is just me... If you want the games you love going to limbo it's your problem, just like if you think stealing is cool too. :)

I agree with you. If you really, REALLY love the game then by all means go ahead and pay for it. Support the developers. But if you just KINDA like it...It doesn't mean you have to pay for every thing that you lay your hands on.

Captain Fabulous said:
Well I guess it's too bad you aren't ten years older and Lithuanian because you could have experienced that.

Well, society did go down back then. Lots of crime, not enough resources, economical blockade from Russia. We've talked about this I think. But as Tyler Durden said: "Only after disaster can we be resurrected. ".

Safusaka said:
I guess he's just trying to say how you can have infinite copies of data, but for physical goods there are limited resources. But it's still bad. Kinda. Usually the money that goes into things like houses are for paying the people who work to design and make it and for the resources to build it. When making something non-physical, you still put resources, work, and money into it, but it's impossible to consume it all.
unless someone breaks reality ... Anyways. DON'T PIRATE. :chin:
let's not stray from the topic here people.

Exactly.

Also Cultr1, I don't know if you understand but by torrenting higher budget games you're doing more harm. If a huge company loses money, people start losing jobs. And to be honest, 500 employees matter more than 1 indie developer.

As for the new CaveStory game, I'd buy it. Only because of the emotional attachment I have to it.

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM

WoodenRat said:
Also Cultr1, I don't know if you understand but by torrenting higher budget games you're doing more harm. If a huge company loses money, people start losing jobs. And to be honest, 500 employees matter more than 1 indie developer.

No.
No, it doesn't work like that.
Stop trying to rationalize piracy.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
U mad bro

p137676-0-559388439012da27729d.jpg

I don't know if you understand, Woodenrat, but huge game companies and indie game companies are two very different types of companies. If a company like Epic Games releases a shitty game, it will make only slightly less money than if it had put out a great game, because of preorders and fanboys and such. If an indie game company makes a shitty game/a game nobody buys, absolutely nobody will buy it and they will have to dig themselves deeper into debt to produce another game, in hopes that it will be wildly successful.
Lrn2business models, then come back and talk to me about piracy. Here is a nice place to start.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"

My thoughts on NOT Cave Story+ ...

Uh, people shouldn't pirate... If you want to keep something you should have to pay for it in some manner if it isn't supposed to be free.
However, I think pricing should be based on region and financial situation.

(similarly I think laws should be based re-judged upon each individual situation and people/histories etc ... and schooling as well should be tailored to each unique individual... ) BUttt... apparently we're not there.

So... we're left with a mess of a grey area. It's not fair this, it's not fair that... IT doesn't make sense this, it doesn't make sense that...

I do LOVE the ability to go on the net and find anything you are searching for... and it *can* spur creativity/inspire (and it can do the opposite). But, what is right and what is wrong?
"All I see are shades of gray..."

If I were to have a solution, I'd ................................. have to think about it :chin:

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Yeah, it's kind of a tricky situation.
But if there were price variances on games based on region, it'd be the easiest thing in the world to change where servers think your computer is (Tor, anyone?), and we'd have an unusually large amount of people buying Mass Effect 3 from Libya.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Pirate Member

Captain Fabulous said:
Stop trying to rationalize piracy.

It's wrong, but we're still doing it. And God knows we'll never stop. I honestly can't remember the last time I payed money for a game. Also I agree with X Calibur. To be honest, there is no line in pirating. We draw the lines ourselves. As for me, well, I'll just keep getting them illegally. At least I can accept the truth. I know it's morally wrong. I won't just magically decide to start paying for games. Unless there is literally no way to get it for free (like for a multiplayer game).

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Uhh...
Multiplayer games are impossible to pirate and still play online?
You must be new to pirating.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Pirate Member

You can pirate them, but most of them won't have multiplayer gameplay. There are ways to get around that, but most of the time it's better to just pay for the game instead of going through all that trouble. Of course I never do that.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:15 PM

WoodenRat said:
It's wrong, but we're still doing it. And God knows we'll never stop. I honestly can't remember the last time I payed money for a game. Also I agree with X Calibur. To be honest, there is no line in pirating. We draw the lines ourselves. As for me, well, I'll just keep getting them illegally. At least I can accept the truth. I know it's morally wrong. I won't just magically decide to start paying for games. Unless there is literally no way to get it for free (like for a multiplayer game).
"I am going to be an asshole just like this other group of people that I have identified as the norm."

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Captain Fabulous said:
"I am going to be an asshole just like this other group of people that I have identified as the norm."

Sounds like America

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM
Pirate Member

I guess we aren't that different, eh Cultr? If there is an easy, safe to way to avoid the price of something, people will do it. It's not like you're some saint who's saving the world by throwing cents at an indie developer. There are other ways to be a nice person. And pirating games doesn't make you a devil.gif either. It's just something natural.

It's similar to the way world politics work. Just look at your own country and its shenanigans with Afghanistan and Iraq lol.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM

WoodenRat said:
There are other ways to be a nice person.

WoodenRat said:
Just look at your own country and its shenanigans with Afghanistan and Iraq lol.
Invade third-world countries?

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Dear Woodenrat,
Waging war is a bad thing.
So is pirating.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"

I agree with that first part, Lace.
But the second part was such a low blow.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

I think I love his logic. I don't understand it, but I love it anyways :sue:

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Pirate Member

Lace said:
Dear Woodenrat,
Waging war is a bad thing.
So is pirating.

And we still do at least one of them.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Okay WoodenRat, I'm going to fly to where you live, stalk you, then assault you because of an argument over the internet, because that's been done before.