The CSTSF 2015 Modding Competition

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:07 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Blink I honestly don't see your viewpoint here
4.13 was an honestly interesting mod and even though it's basically "DLC" (whydoyoucallitthat) it was still creative to the point of being called a mod
so idk why you wouldn't accept any more of those if they're just as creative as other mods

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:13 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I know that this has been talked about in the other thread but it's worth mentioning again: Is setting up a date for another modding competition so soon after the start (and end) of a seperate one a good idea?

I understand that you want to keep the spark of modding alive but even though the date for this one is well off, the thought of even starting on another mod after the one I'm currently working on sounds like such a pain that I don't even really want to be a part of this. Not to mention the fact that this competition has way too many pointless trophies (most of which seem to either be heavily geared towards ASM hacking (I wonder why a well-known ASM hacker would want to include ASM-hacking-related trophies? I WONDER)) not even counting the joke one.

This whole thing seems poorly planned and poorly put together, atleast in my opinion. You could've atleast waited for the other competition to end before making this thread. That would've been a little more appropriate.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:33 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Guys, I wouldn't even expect anybody to start/continue working on their entries until like July-ish

And I don't really see how it's geared toward ASM? It's just bosses, levels, side quest, and the sort. /all/ the aspects of modding. only 3 or 4 of them require knowledge of ASM to achieve.

maybe I need a weapon trophy...

@paths

I never said I wouldn't accept them, I'm just not going to encourage them by making a trophy for it.

E: also This isn't exactly "My" competition, sure I hosting this year, but I would like to consider this the Community's contest I just came up with the idea.

E: 2 If you guys aren't happy with my choices, the other thread it still open to discussion on the topic, I would really like to accept some input and make this more balanced.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:21 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
it's just another assembly trophy for him to win

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:02 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Doors said:
it's just another assembly trophy for him to win
I am 99.9% sure that Randolf is better than me at weapon making in CS.

And Noxid is better than I at making bosses and foes.

This isn't in the least rigged in my favor and it's completely open to discussion on what needs to be changed. Don't sit back and say it's in my favor when you're perfectly open to state what you think should be different.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:49 AM
Professional Whatever
Point taken
I'm under the opinion that we need a universal "trophy" for assembly hacks
There's not enough users in the community in my opinion that are proficient enough in assembly to warrant more than one.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:40 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I agree with Doors. I'd say only maybe 4(-ish?) people are really skilled with Assembly, and as such there should probably just be one trophy for anything involving assembly.

plus best weapon would clearly go to Goerge Bobicles for that super awesome pizza mod he made half a year ago

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:46 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
ThatPortalGuy said:
I agree with Doors. I'd say only maybe 4(-ish?) people are really skilled with Assembly, and as such there should probably just be one trophy for anything involving assembly.

plus best weapon would clearly go to Goerge Bobicles for that super awesome pizza mod he made half a year ago
I haven't been here all that long and I can already agree from seeing some of these mods on the forums.

Also, question. Can we submit two or more mods to the competition?

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:08 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Doors said:
Point taken
I'm under the opinion that we need a universal "trophy" for assembly hacks
There's not enough users in the community in my opinion that are proficient enough in assembly to warrant more than one.

I think that would be a good idea.

SuperJaws100 said:
Also, question. Can we submit two or more mods to the competition?
The limit right now is 452 mods per user, (this includes both mods you made, or helped make).

and no alt accounts.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:16 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
BLink said:
The limit right now is 452 mods per user, (this includes both mods you made, or helped make).
UH
DO YOU MEAN IT AS IN HOW MANY CAN BE SUBMITTED
IF SO
I DON'T THINK ANYONE HAS MADE 452 MODS

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:22 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Paths said:
UH
DO YOU MEAN IT AS IN HOW MANY CAN BE SUBMITTED
IF SO
I DON'T THINK ANYONE HAS MADE 452 MODS
If Quute wasn't banned, he would've made that many mods, maybe more.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:56 AM
War criminal
Parkraft123 said:
If Quute wasn't banned, he would've made that many mods, maybe more.
I wonder how much more he made after the ban.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:28 PM
Based Member
BLink said:
I would really like to accept some input and make this more balanced.
I can only reitterate what I said in the other thread and what others have said in this thread: please cut down on the number of trophies. This community is too small for it to really be worth having this many awards. And I don't just feel this way with the assembly-related trophies, but most of the other trophies as well. On top of that, the awards seem to be judged by finding short moments or analyzing one small aspect of a mod instead of really evaluating the whole of it and pointing out its real overall strengths. For example, instead of a "best area" award, I think we should have a "best level design" award. I think that analyzing smaller details rather than the bigger picture cheapens these awards because a modder could win an award by simply doing one very minor detail very well but not really having much else to show, whereas another modder that put more work into displaying something very special throughout the mod would have less of a chance. Here are the individual awards that bother me (I've excluded the redundant assembly awards, since I assume you're already going to take care of those in light of the feedback the others have given):

BLink said:
Curly Brace trophy - Best original character in a mod
I feel that this is a very obscure and highly subjective award that requires giving much more deep analysis on a mod than most judges would want to invest their time into. I think it would be much more worthwhile to have an award that recognizes the mod's storyline or cutscenes. Both of those things are related to original characters, but require a lot more work to do well, and can be judged a little bit more objectively.

BLink said:
Ma Pignon trophy - Best side quest
Again, very obscure and unnecessary. Also, the precise definition of a side quest may be up to a little bit of interpretation, and having awards up to interpretation isn't really a good thing.

BLink said:
Core room trophy - Most original concept for a mod

/that/ trophy - Craziest idea in a mod

Homing missile trophy - Best Proof of Concept in a mod
I feel that these could all three be merged into one award, such as most unique, or most creative mod. Or just get rid of the /that/ trophy and the homing missile trophy and make the core room trophy account not just for the concept of the mod, but the mod as whole- both the concept and the presentation.

BLink said:
It's butte-full Trophy - Hardest area in a mod
Perhaps instead of hardest area, you could make it just hardest in general? And of course, hard without having fake difficulty. I'm uneasy about the whole idea of awarding modders for making their mods hard, though.

BLink said:
Jelly Juice - Most professional/clean looking mod
I feel that this award is very vague and up to a lot of interpretation, which shouldn't be the case if there are going to be numerous judges.

BLink said:
Kanpachi trophy - Most improved mod from last year.
Personally, I think that mods should be awarded based on their actual quality, and that the history of their development shouldn't play a factor in it. Still, I do see how this award could potentially be interesting, so I don't have a problem if others don't feel the same way.

In summary, if I were you, I'd have the awards be more like best storyline, best cutscenes(?), best level design, best music, best custom graphics. Much more general aspects. I think you had the right idea with the "best music" trophy, having ones like that would probably make winning an award much more meaningful. Sorry for not saying all this earlier, I just didn't know quite how to say it until now.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:01 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
So wait, I'm confused here. The contest is for 2015, but there's an award for "improvements since last year", so is this just a general contest of all mods ever? Or just things updated in 2015? What ever happened to the bi-monthly thing Schizm's sitting on?

Was there one of these last year? Was there a list of nominees or a topic from last year? Is there / will there be a list of mods that you can't nominate? Will the awards actually have a reason given for them, or are votes completely blind (ie. "Noxid Story wins the 'Best ASM' award because people said so")? Are the existing awards something multiple people settled on, or are they checklists of what we(you) "want to see"? Or is this topic another elaborate joke? Do joke mods count towards the nomination? What should we nominate the "go outside" mod Noxid(?) made, for?

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
ZarroTsu said:
So wait, I'm confused here. The contest is for 2015, but there's an award for "improvements since last year", so is this just a general contest of all mods ever? Or just things updated in 2015? What ever happened to the bi-monthly thing Schizm's sitting on?

Was there one of these last year? Was there a list of nominees or a topic from last year? Is there / will there be a list of mods that you can't nominate? Will the awards actually have a reason given for them, or are votes completely blind (ie. "Noxid Story wins the 'Best ASM' award because people said so")? Are the existing awards something multiple people settled on, or are they checklists of what we(you) "want to see"? Or is this topic another elaborate joke? Do joke mods count towards the nomination? What should we nominate the "go outside" mod Noxid(?) made, for?
And why is this such a huge difficulty for people? I think there should be basic, no strings attached trophies. (e.g. Best Character, Best Music, Best Art/Design, Best ASM, Best Enemy, Best Storyline, etc)

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:35 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
HaydenStudios said:
I agree with everything as of now except....

The kanpatchi trophy.

I purposely didn't include a "First place" trophy, and this isn't suppose to be a substitute for it.

It's to get modders to work harder on their mod from last years entry.

E: oh yeah, and thanks for the input, it's really appreciated.

ZarroTsu said:
The Kanpatchi trophy will take place next year for the 2016 CSTSF competition.

This is the first one ever. You can enter any mod, even if it's 10 years old.

Joke mods are accepted, I guess.

SuperJaws100 said:
And why is this such a huge difficulty for people? I think there should be basic, no strings attached trophies. (e.g. Best Character, Best Music, Best Art/Design, Best ASM, Best Enemy, Best Storyline, etc)
It needs revamped some. I didn't think of an art trophy honestly.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:52 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
duncathan said:
that is the opposite of what people wanted
I mean one the enter-er(?) actually made.