The Cave Story Transcription Project v2

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:22 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
Since the spoiler didn't want to be quoted, I guess I'll just try to answer your answers in the order they happened.

2nd Answer: I don't know, really, aside from a Spur that doesn't have limited ammo. It just seems weird that you get absolutely nothing for winning again.

5th Answer: Yes, I would have noticed. I only opened the Map System to prove that it was exactly the same.

6th Answer: Okay, let me point it out for you. That map? It's the same as the first map of Bloodstained Sanctuary/Hell. All you did was move a few platforms around and add enemies.

8th Answer: No, see, the damage they do can and will cripple your weapons without the Arms Barrier. Think about the player who simply grabbed the Developer's Key and then left the Developer's Lounge. A single Bute's arrow will level your Polar Star down from Max to Level 2.

14th Answer: The thing is, why have that skip be there? There were several things wrong with it. Once you open that chest, you're forced to knock Curly out. Sure, you can refuse to do so, but it's either knock her out or get locked into the Core's chamber forever, waiting for a watery death that will never come. The worst part is that you're locked into the latter choice once you open the shutters.

15th Answer: "'Electric Boogaloo' is a phrase typically appended to the title of a sequel TV or film production to mock its poor quality." While the duplicated items weren't necessarily sequels of anything, it felt better to refer to them as that.

18th Answer: There is a big problem here.

19th Answer: The horizontal Press trap that you have right before the big mole boss fight has two Presses that slide to the left. As you can see in the picture, that Press is sliding into the wall instead of meeting its partner in the middle of the trap to smash any unfortunate creature trying to pass through.

20th Answer: That actually would have been an acceptable reward at this point. See, the "infinite missile launcher" is basically a regular Missile Launcher, but with infinite ammo. It'd be fun to mess around with it, but ultimately it's a regular Missile Launcher and not a Super Missile Launcher. It's just lacking in firepower in comparison to some of my other weapons by the time I get it.

21st Answer: There are two immediate issues with this area as a whole. The first issue is that you didn't cite ZarroTsu whatsoever for the inspiration you got from his mod. No citation at all. The second issue is that the addition of such an area was rather frivolous. You said it yourself that the mod was only intended to "force [the player] to listen to the ORGs in context," so why add this autobiography-esque area at all?

XXth Answer: Not only did you neglect to cite ZarroTsu in the slightest for borrowing his secret endgame area ideas, but you blatantly ripped off the intro of Jenka's Nightmare in the ending cutscene here. Jenka's Nightmare begins with Curly and Quote talking with each other and getting interrupted by Balrog incessantly asking them to help him chop up a tree he knocked down into firewood. Your mod ends with Curly and Quote talking with each other and getting interrupted by Balrog telling them that he brought home a bunch of apples... and needed help chopping up the firewood he also happened to take with him. This could normally be dismissed as mere coincidence, but after what you pulled with the secret area at the end of the mod I strongly doubt that.

What I meant when I said "I honestly thought you would have learned after the first time," was that I thought you would have learned by now that copying preexisting maps and only giving them minor changes is a very, very big mistake on your part. No matter how much you cite your sources, resorting to this method of "creating" maps will forever be gazed upon as lazy and unprofessional. Don't pull the "I'm bad at designing maps" card on me, either, because that's why you practice. When you copy maps like this, you're only hurting yourself in the long run. However, when you create your own maps, both you and anyone who plays the mod can point out anything that needs improving and the errors can be corrected accordingly.
Umm, the the XXth Answer: Since when have you had to give credit for Jenka's Nightmare? There have been like a dozen versions of it all by different people, and I'm pretty sure I've seen those developer areas in two or three of them.

Uh, I copied maps from other parts of Cave Story? I didn't take any map designs from Jenka's Nightmare or any other game other than Cave Story. So... I understand that it could be considered "lazy", but unprofessional? How?

I'm pretty sure I did the whole citing Cave Story thing right. If saying "Thanks to Pixel Studios for Cave Story and Kero Blaster." is not specific enough for you, then by all means...

EDIT:
Also, I'm pretty sure Zarro was not an original creator of Jenka's Nightmare, although he may have been the one who created those developer areas. As I recall in most versions of the game, they all referred to work done by the same developer, so it might have been him.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
just because there were three Jenka's Nightmares doesn't mean you don't have to give credit

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:35 PM
Thatnamelessguy said:
just because there were three Jenka's Nightmares doesn't mean you don't have to give credit
Alright, whatever, I'll "fix" that... There are more than three versions, but there are only about that many that actually work/were finished.
Also, I suppose I'll try just remapping the Basement for now. I don't want to spend a freakishly large amount of time redoing Pier 16, however, so I won't. TBH, I don't see anything wrong with changing up how you play a specific map.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:15 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
SuperJaws100 said:
Umm, the the XXth Answer: Since when have you had to give credit for Jenka's Nightmare? There have been like a dozen versions of it all by different people, and I'm pretty sure I've seen those developer areas in two or three of them.

Uh, I copied maps from other parts of Cave Story? I didn't take any map designs from Jenka's Nightmare or any other game other than Cave Story. So... I understand that it could be considered "lazy", but unprofessional? How?

I'm pretty sure I did the whole citing Cave Story thing right. If saying "Thanks to Pixel Studios for Cave Story and Kero Blaster." is not specific enough for you, then by all means...

EDIT:
Also, I'm pretty sure Zarro was not an original creator of Jenka's Nightmare, although he may have been the one who created those developer areas. As I recall in most versions of the game, they all referred to work done by the same developer, so it might have been him.
To my knowledge, the ideas you borrowed from Jenka's Nightmare came from ZarroTsu's version and only his. His mod was the only one to include that intro cutscene at the beginning and the developer area at the end.

Not changing a map is one thing. Having several of the same map is another thing entirely. When someone plays through a mod like this and comes across a secret area, they reasonably expect to see something new. It's disappointing to just see a recolor of a preexisting map from the vanilla game when the same map already exists in the mod.

I'm glad that you're trying to remap Arthur's Basement. It shows that you're actually listening to feedback and learning from past mistakes. I just hope that you do the same to the other copied maps.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:20 PM
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
To my knowledge, the ideas you borrowed from Jenka's Nightmare came from ZarroTsu's version and only his. His mod was the only one to include that intro cutscene at the beginning and the developer area at the end.

Not changing a map is one thing. Having several of the same map is another thing entirely. When someone plays through a mod like this and comes across a secret area, they reasonably expect to see something new. It's disappointing to just see a recolor of a preexisting map from the vanilla game when the same map already exists in the mod.

I'm glad that you're trying to remap Arthur's Basement. It shows that you're actually listening to feedback and learning from past mistakes. I just hope that you do the same to the other copied maps.
To be perfectly honest, the mod was not the focus to begin with, so I'll just see how Arthur's Basement goes and then I'll move on to my next project, which involves more TSC and less mapping.

EDIT:
Speaking of which, I've heard very little actual commentary on the quality of the music itself, and even then it's mostly comments on a particular ORG. How is the music? Was there a favorite track that any of you who bothered to listen liked?

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:27 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
SuperJaws100 said:
To be perfectly honest, the mod was not the focus to begin with, so I'll just see how Arthur's Basement goes and then I'll move on to my next project, which involves more TSC and less mapping.
This, of course, brings to question: why even make the mod when you could've just amassed all of the ORGs into one place? A shoddily-designed mod will only drag the music down.

SuperJaws100 said:
EDIT:
Speaking of which, I've heard very little actual commentary on the quality of the music itself, and even then it's mostly comments on a particular ORG. How is the music? Was there a favorite track that any of you who bothered to listen liked?
As I had mentioned in my notes, I liked the Fireflies ORG. Not all of them were good, though. A few people, including me, disliked the Labyrinth's new theme, Alien Labyrinth.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:47 PM
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
This, of course, brings to question: why even make the mod when you could've just amassed all of the ORGs into one place? A shoddily-designed mod will only drag the music down.

As I had mentioned in my notes, I liked the Fireflies ORG. Not all of them were good, though. A few people, including me, disliked the Labyrinth's new theme, Alien Labyrinth.
Really? What was wrong with that one? I really like that one.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:50 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
When you first start the game, the prompt is, "You don't REALLY want to go through ALL of Cave Story just for a silly music project do you?" I selected "Yes" because I was like, "Yes, I don't REALLY want to go through ALL of Cave Story just for a silly music project."

But then the game proceeds to say, "Suit yourself" which makes no sense to me. If I was to say "No", wouldn't that induce a double negative as I would be saying, "No, I do not not really want to go through all of Cave Story for your silly music endeavours.", thus being "I want to go through all of Cave Story for this."?

A more simpler, concise approach to the question would be, "Do you REALLY want to go through ALL of Cave Story just for a silly music project?" That way, it has a clear Yes and No.

Although I am curious as to what would have happened had I chosen "No".

Also from what I gather, the music is okay, but I'm not familiar with most of these songs. I can say that Fireflies reminded me of another ORG transcription by TheVinylCheese. Your Tetris take is quite nice though.

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:07 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I like all of the songs~

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:56 PM
Random-storykeeper said:
When you first start the game, the prompt is, "You don't REALLY want to go through ALL of Cave Story just for a silly music project do you?" I selected "Yes" because I was like, "Yes, I don't REALLY want to go through ALL of Cave Story just for a silly music project."
But then the game proceeds to say, "Suit yourself" which makes no sense to me. If I was to say "No", wouldn't that induce a double negative as I would be saying, "No, I do not not really want to go through all of Cave Story for your silly music endeavours.", thus being "I want to go through all of Cave Story for this."?
A more simpler, concise approach to the question would be, "Do you REALLY want to go through ALL of Cave Story just for a silly music project?" That way, it has a clear Yes and No.
Although I am curious as to what would have happened had I chosen "No".
Also from what I gather, the music is okay, but I'm not familiar with most of these songs. I can say that Fireflies reminded me of another ORG transcription by TheVinylCheese. Your Tetris take is quite nice though.
Huh, I never though about it. Syntax is weird because different people perceive it differently. I'll look into it.

Damn, Vinyl, you did it better than me!

Kim Tyranto said:
I like all of the songs~

Update!

v2.0
-Added new "Hall of Secrets" where all developer rooms can be accessed.
-Addressed issues with duplicates of weapons.
-Added reward for Round Two of Misery's Game.
-Added rewards for defeating the Black Thing.
-Fixed a few grammar errors and bugs.
-Fixed crediting errors.
*Forgot to fix Core Room*

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:16 PM
scrungy
Claoose and I reviewed your music live on Twitch but I lost the footage somehow

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:22 PM
Aar said:
That was thoughtful of you. My question is... how do you lose livestream footage? Isn't it uploaded... live?

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:22 PM
scrungy
SuperJaws100 said:
That was thoughtful of you. My question is... how do you lose livestream footage? Isn't it uploaded... live?
I had my recording path configured incorrectly. Sorry about that.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:27 PM
Aar said:
I had my recording path configured incorrectly. Sorry about that.
Huh. No problem, it must be frustrating for you. How long was the video supposed to be?

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:34 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
SuperJaws100 said:
Huh. No problem, it must be frustrating for you. How long was the video supposed to be?
It was 22 minutes, If I remember correctly.
Claoose is my more commonly used screen name, if you were wondering why Aar called me that btw.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:38 PM
Silverpaw19 said:
It was 22 minutes, If I remember correctly.
Claoose is my more commonly used screen name, if you were wondering why Aar called me that btw.
Well, I'm sorry you lost that much time. Thanks for trying, though.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Aar said:

IIRC, knowing Twitch, it should be in recent broadcasts.

NVM?

p204391-0-v2lkehc.png

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:36 AM
scrungy
Tale_Zero said:
IIRC, knowing Twitch, it should be in recent broadcasts.

NVM?

p204391-0-v2lkehc.png
I disabled that feature and enabled recording in OBS so I could upload past streams to YouTube in higher quality

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:45 AM
2dbro
I enjoyed this mod alot. I didn't go through Cave Story because eh, but everything else was nice and peaceful, mostly. The music was very well made as well. Good job on this one, Superjaws.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:08 PM
Cool. I think I'm done with this project then. Time to start on my challenge mod, which I am naming "Battle Spire".