The BEST version of Cave Story?

The best Cave Story?

• Total voters
Dec 9, 2011 at 2:44 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I really hope everybody takes this seriously!

I have thought about making this thread several days before Cave Story+ was released, but since only the beta testers could really judge it, I have decided to make this now. The question being: of all the releases for Cave Story, which one is the best? These versions include the original Cave Story (this includes the PSP version and about every other version not on this list), Cave Story Wii, Cave Story DSi, Cave Story 3D, and Cave Story Plus. Now, I say "best" because I felt if I asked "your favorite", it would really just come down to some different results. I don't know, I just feel that way.

I would post some pros and cons here, but if I do that I'll probably receive some unwanted criticism. So I trust you can think of them yourselves.

My favorite you ask? Well, let's narrow it down. I have never played Cave Story+, so I can't really vote for it in the first place. Cave Story 3DS, while astounding in the music and graphic's department, really just didn't cut it. For one, it is buggy, really buggy. If the original Cave Story is glitch-free, I don't see why the 3DS version has to be so lazy. Next, when compared to the DSi and Wii versions, it lacks additional content (content OTHER than Story Mode). While the DSi version and the 3DS versions still share only 1 option besides Story Mode (Classic Mode is Story Mode), the DSi version of Hell outperforms. My main deal with the 3DS Hell mode is that you don't start off at B1 every time you restart, you have to pick out your weapons and Life Capsules every time you die (this applies to the Wii version as well). The DSi version has a great Hell speed-run mode overall. Soooo... to end my random rant, I would have to pick the Wii version. Loved myself the 2x graphics and Boss Rush. The translation did not bother me. But why did I not pick the PC version then?! Simple, I feel more comfortable on a console. It feels more natural to me, and the mood really elevates when I play on some kind of home console. Hope my opinion doesn't cause somebody else to rant me off, then.

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:49 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I voted for CS+.
I have only played the original PC version, the Wii version, and Cave Story+.
I prefer CS+ over the original mostly because the framerate is 20% faster.
I don't really have to play with the new graphics and music, but this version also has some extra modes that aren't on the WiiWare version.
On the other hand, I disliked how the starting area for the Sanctuary Time Attack mode was lacked the variety that the DSi version (or so I heard, I haven't played it yet)
Also, the original WiiWare one had a buggy release, even though they made a fix for that.
But, the new version 1.0 of CS+ had a broken timer for Wind Fortress.

So for now, I'm going to have to go with CS+ despite its minor flaws.
It was pretty much a close call between Cave Story and Cave Story+, but something about CS+ stood out to me more than the others. I'm not sure what yet.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Because of the fact that you can modify CS+ to include the original dialogue, whilst using either normal or hi-res sprites, CS+ would've been my choice.. But I do prefer the original dialogue and you shouldn't have to spend time modifying a game that you paid for.

The original costs nothing, has the better dialogue, it's good to go! It lacks the double res, but I don't really mind. It gets my vote.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The original also lacks achievements, and the better menu screens. It only takes ten minutes to modify the text, so that's not that big an issue. Also, you can use Steam Chat while fullscreen is activated.

In my opinion, CS+ is the best version.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM
LSD
"..."
I voted for the Original.
I have played the DSi and WiiWare versions, and Nicalis didn't make those to good. (Other than the Ikachan music on Pixel's Birthday. That was a nice touch.) The dialogue SUCKED. I guess my opinion really doesn't matter, because I haven't played CS+ yet, but until then, I will always enjoy the classic version.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM
"Huzzah!"
same as Pigaro, except I only played a bit of the dsi and the demo of the wii.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:27 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
My opinion probably isn't the most educated, as I've only played the original and the WiiWare versions, and from those selections, it must be Cave Story Wii. The graphics, controller, and framerate just make it a much bigger improvement over the original, even if the controls betrayed me sometimes, but that's probably because I'm not the best with the D-Pad. No, Cave Story Wii doesn't play in HD, so the graphics aren't as easy to appreciate, but they still are a big improvement compared to the original sprites. The only problems I have is the music, which isn't that great with the remixed tracks, and the fact that there ARE a few glitches, though not that bad. In fact, the one glitch I can think of is a minor mistake in TSC scripting in the Boss Rush mode. I can't remember when it happens exactly, but after one of the bosses, the <FOM command was used and set to a lower number than 0016. Just pointing that out. Also, the percussion in the original music doesn't sound very good. Other than that, it's superior and every way and somehow has more fun than the original.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:34 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Do not like the menu system of CS+. Makes it hard to restart the game very quickly.

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Cave Story said:
The original also lacks achievements, and the better menu screens. It only takes ten minutes to modify the text, so that's not that big an issue. Also, you can use Steam Chat while fullscreen is activated.

In my opinion, CS+ is the best version.

I'm not a huge fan of steam; no one to chat with anyways, and I find achievments somewhat irritating, every game seems to have them nowadays.

Also, I haven't checked, but do you require internet connection to play CS+ ? 'cause it'd be a real inconvenience if I were moving house, if the power went out, or if my internet got cut and I was left sitting on my hands for a couple days.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:05 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No, you do not, to the best of my knowledge.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:17 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oh right there's a poll in this thread

I pick CS+ because if we can figure out a way to generalize a few things that normally ASM hacks were needed for, it will be the perfect modding platform.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I would say Cave Stroy.........................................what you exetp me to say Cave stroy 3D well it does have more maps BUT its Extremely glitchly, And HELL Hard (not in hell) in the Cave story DSI and PC Hell was like :droll:
but in 3D it was like:greydroll::pignon2::D and the orinal music is better

Noxid CS+ is a mod but...ill give you cridet for chosing CS+ also sry for 2 posting...:(

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Actually, Cave Story+ is a port of a port, I think (Cave Story->WiiWare->Cave Story+)
Also, the edit button exists for a very good reason.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
TheMimigaZak said:
I would say Cave Stroy.........................................what you exetp me to say Cave stroy 3D well it does have more maps BUT its Extremely glitchly, And HELL Hard (not in hell) in the Cave story DSI and PC Hell was like :droll:
but in 3D it was like:greydroll::muscledoc::balrog: and the orinal music is better

Noxid CS+ is a mod but...ill give you cridet for chosing CS+ also sry for 2 posting...:(

1) Don't double post.

2) CS+ isn't a mod, it's the "new" version of the game. It doesn't in anyway modify or use the old executable. It's not a mod in the traditional sense.

3) Please learn to spell properly and use proper grammar and punctuation and capitalization.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
TheMimigaZak said:
jesus christ

oh yeah guys I haven't ever actually payed for cave story
and it's probably going to stay that way