Suu No Monogatari ~ Sue's Story 0.2.0.1

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:16 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Bombchu Link said:
p169044-6-lavacavern20zps32e59d6f.png

So what do you guys think?
My little tidbits: the lava looks bad when the tiles don't match up, and the tiles used for the stone should probably reduce the black outline clashing with the light fill. Just my opinion.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
EnlightenedOne said:
The lava looks bad when the tiles don't match up.
showingtileslavacavernslopes_zpsfce4bbd4.png

¿le parece mejor amigo

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So I just played the latest demo, which was also my first time playing this mod. Nice job, I enjoyed it. At times I felt that the story was a bit shaky, and I didn't care much for your meshing the Cave Story universe with the Sonic universe, but I thought the writing had a few redeeming qualities. There's some room for improvement on the level design. I'd have to say my favorite part as a whole was the mushroom cavern. That was a pretty neat effect you had there with the lightening and darkening depending on what parts of the cave you were in.

Here are some typos I found in the dialogue:
- "this place is so..." The t is not capitalized. There were also a few capitalization errors before then.
- "Sue, We could use your help..." "We" doesn't need to be capitalized.
- "Unless your busy that is" Should be you're.
- "Yes, Is there something you wanted Sue?" The I doesn't need to be capitalized.
- "Ok Sue, You can start..." The Y doesn't need to be capitalized.
- "Uhh, What are you talking about?" The W doesn't need to be capitalized.
- "Your done for now Sue" Should be you're.
- In the original Cave Story, I'm pretty sure "Booster" is capitalized.

Very early on, I got tired of running into a spelling/grammar error every two minutes and writing it down, so I'm just going to give you a few pointers, and suggest you look through all your dialogue over again with this new-found knowledge:
- http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/youre_your.htm
- http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/there_their_theyre.htm
- http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/than_then.htm
- http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/to_and_too_meaning_in_excess.htm
- http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp
- A comma may be a punctuation mark, but it doesn't mark a new sentence. It's only periods, question marks, and exclamation points that do that. So don't capitalize the first word after a comma. That's not proper.
I will not be pointing out any more typos. The only other thing regarding this that I'll say is that you type "docter" instead of "Doctor" a lot.
Here are a few glitches:
- When you have the camera focus on the player via the <FOM command, you never want to do less than 16 ticks, otherwise the camera will be jerky like it is after Sue jumps off the Balcony.
- It doesn't make Sue lighter here when I go into this lighter area:
SuesStory1_zps16769ba1.png

-
SuesStory2_zps91b63bd2.png

- The Side Room door in the Egg corridor doesn't have an opening sound.
And a few other things I'll comment on:
- Momorin's angry/crying face picture looked kinda weird.
- I personally don't think that the Egg Corridor music goes very well with the Flower Cavern.
- The lighter and darker parts of the cave effect was really cool. Although in my opinion there's room for improvement on the transition between lighter rock and darker rock tiles.
- I felt it was awkward that you answered for Quote when Sue asked him if he saved her. I think you should handle it differently.
- It seems to contradict the story for Jack to insist Sue stay in the village and rest for a while when Sue later says that when none of the other Mimigas would have anything to do with her, Toroko alone was kind to her.
All in all, there's room for improvement, but I was entertained.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:47 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The stone and lava have a straight line between them, it sort of clashes and doesn't look good. Although it's fine, and I like how it's going so far, if possible try making the lava 'spill over' onto the stone. Or try having those rough edges on the stone like Pixel's tilesets do. In my opinion, it'll look more realistic. Do you get what I mean?

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
a lot of stuff helpful

ok.

So I just played the latest demo, which was also my first time playing this mod. Nice job, I enjoyed it. At times I felt that the story was a bit shaky.

A bit shaky?

Would you be willing to explain in greater detail on this?

and I didn't care much for your meshing the Cave Story universe with the Sonic universe, but I thought the writing had a few redeeming qualities.

And shadow is more or less something I added for the fun of it.

There's some room for improvement on the level design.

I know, I plan to re-do the flower cavern, but I don't understand what is wrong with the mushroom cavern?

I'd have to say my favorite part as a whole was the mushroom cavern. That was a pretty neat effect you had there with the lightening and darkening depending on what parts of the cave you were in.

Thanks, it took a long time to get all the H/V triggers set up and such.

Here are some typos I found in the dialogue:
- "this place is so..." The t is not capitalized. There were also a few capitalization errors before then.
- "Sue, We could use your help..." "We" doesn't need to be capitalized.
- "Unless your busy that is" Should be you're.
- "Yes, Is there something you wanted Sue?" The I doesn't need to be capitalized.
- "Ok Sue, You can start..." The Y doesn't need to be capitalized.
- "Uhh, What are you talking about?" The W doesn't need to be capitalized.
- "Your done for now Sue" Should be you're.
- In the original Cave Story, I'm pretty sure "Booster" is capitalized.
I am a horrible speller when I don't have Google spell check to help me.

This is why I'm considering moving on to hacking Sonic when I finish SS

I am ashamed

Here are a few glitches:When you have the camera focus on the player via the <FOM command, you never want to do less than 16 ticks, otherwise the camera will be jerky like it is after Sue jumps off the Balcony.
- It doesn't make Sue lighter here when I go into this lighter area:

I know, it's fixed in the current unreleased version.

Same with the duplicate Sue.

- The Side Room door in the Egg corridor doesn't have an opening sound.

And a few other things I'll comment on:

- I personally don't think that the Egg Corridor music goes very well with the Flower Cavern.
- The lighter and darker parts of the cave effect was really cool. Although in my opinion there's room for improvement on the transition between lighter rock and darker rock tiles.
- I felt it was awkward that you answered for Quote when Sue asked him if he saved her. I think you should handle it differently.
- It seems to contradict the story for Jack to insist Sue stay in the village and rest for a while when Sue later says that when none of the other Mimigas would have anything to do with her, Toroko alone was kind to her.
All in all, there's room for improvement, but I was entertained.

-ok

-Really? How should I change it then?

-I really don't want to go back over it again, I spent 6 hours on it already. if you want to though, then knock yourself out.

-How do I change the text without changing the text then?

-Your right, I'll do something about that.

A little bit surprised that you haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Thank you for the feedback

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Bombchu Link said:
showingtileslavacavernslopes_zpsfce4bbd4.png

¿le parece mejor amigo
I was mainly referring to the lava flowing out of the pipe, not exactly the pool.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Based Member
Bombchu Link said:
So I just played the latest demo, which was also my first time playing this mod. Nice job, I enjoyed it. At times I felt that the story was a bit shaky,
A bit shaky?

Would you be willing to explain in greater detail on this?
It seems far-fetched as a whole that Sue would be wielding a gun and being able to hold her own against enemies like she does, but I guess you have to take liberties like that if you don't want to stretch the Cave Story engine too much, so I guess I can't blame you for that. After analyzing it a bit more, it wasn't so much the storyline itself that bothered me as it was your representation of the characters.

In my opinion, Kazuma was a little out of character. In Cave Story he seems more formal and less banterful than in this mod, but then again you could argue that people sometimes act differently around family members than with colleagues and friends, and that such is the case with Kazuma.

I also felt that Booster seemed a bit out of character in the opening. "Hurry up and go help your brother." doesn't seem like how he'd phrase his sentence. Under those circumstances, I think he'd say something more like "You'd best be helping Kazuma right now."

Misery seemed out of character. Given that you had Balrog say huzzah, I'm guessing you're trying to portray all the characters as they are in the AGTP translation. The Misery in the AGTP translation is calm, collective, elitist, and only angered by extreme circumstances. The vibe I got from Misery in the first scene in your mod with her was a much more easily flustered, less wise, and less magically skilled witch who easily gets on the defensive or feels vulnerable. Granted, if you were trying to mimic the NICALiS Misery, then you'd be closer to home, but if you were trying to do AGTP Misery, which I think you were, then I think your representation of Misery was off.

Bombchu Link said:
and I didn't care much for your meshing the Cave Story universe with the Sonic universe,
And shadow is more or less something I added for the fun of it.
It kind of annoys me when people go overboard on doing stuff like that "for the fun of it" in a mod that's supposed to be serious. The impression I'm getting is that Sue's Story is supposed to be a serious mod. But if it does stuff like break the fourth wall with Sue acknowledging the fanfare when getting the last box, or shadow going on at long length about his universe if you let him, shows that the mod doesn't take itself very seriously. And supposedly serious mods that don't take themselves seriously break immersion for me. Granted, I'm not against doing something like this to a small degree in possibly a super secret area, but doing what you've done makes it hard for me to take this mod seriously. That's just me, though.

Bombchu Link said:
There's some room for improvement on the level design.
I know, I plan to re-do the flower cavern, but I don't understand what is wrong with the mushroom cavern?
The mushroom cavern was pretty good. Maybe the map could be a bit smaller so it's easier to navigate, but I don't have any major complaints. I'm glad to hear that the flower cavern is going to get redone. The cave that you go through after jumping off the Balcony wasn't the best design, but I guess it was acceptable. The waterway could definitely have some rough edges smoothed, so to speak. Some of the parts that are supposed to look like rough gravel look blocky.

Bombchu Link said:
Really? How should I change it then?
Face_zpsb63811a2.png

Sorry, weird is the wrong word. Rather, unfitting for the situation. That face picture mostly expresses sadness and depression. But the circumstances under which you used it had her expressing both overwhelming grief and anger at the Doctor. You should change her face picture so that she looks more like she's crying and shouting hysterically, rather than quietly sulking.

Bombchu Link said:
The lighter and darker parts of the cave effect was really cool. Although in my opinion there's room for improvement on the transition between lighter rock and darker rock tiles.
I really don't want to go back over it again, I spent 6 hours on it already. if you want to though, then knock yourself out.
Noted.

Bombchu Link said:
I felt it was awkward that you answered for Quote when Sue asked him if he saved her. I think you should handle it differently.
How do I change the text without changing the text then?
There are two different ways of going about this that I would recommend:

1). Handle it the way Curly mode in the NICALiS ports does with a face pictureless text box with the text "....." representing Quote's lines. Then continue the conversation as though Quote had given her an answer.

2). Have Quote's answer actually shown. The main reason Quote's lines aren't shown in Cave Story is because the story is told from his perspective. In this story, it's told from Sue's perspective, and therefore it may be justifiable to have Quote's lines actually shown. After all, Quote's lines are shown in Curly mode when you feed him the mushroom. Although NICALiS is inconsistent with this train of thought, seeing as how up until then, his lines are implied rather than shown, like in option 1.

Those are my two suggestions. If I were you, I'd do option 2. But that's just me.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Still for me I can't find the "other" fun you guys get WHERE IS IT! (note it reminds of the shotgun in the CS thanksgiving.)

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM
War criminal
Bombchu Link said:
Behold!

magicoger_zps36d4a79c.png

A magic droll!
Will it shoot the projectiles Magikoopas use in Mario World?

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I hope it does....hope.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Forever 12
Is the final boss going to be Quote? Cause that would be awesome!

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Forever 12
Okay, cause I was hoping you'd be able to play as crazed sue.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:55 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Wow, I can't believe how much time I haven't spent on this...

I've been working on a mini-mod that's in my sig instead of this as of late.

I may as well show you guys.

p169261-0-dor2pic1zps53de4b89.png

p169261-1-dor2pic2zpsea69c85a.png

p169261-2-dor2pic3zps8c4da20b.png

p169261-3-dor2pic4zpsc81d1712.png

The mod is short but sweet featuring a total of 7 endings and some very interesting content...

opinions?

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:06 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Bombchu Link said:
Wow, I can't believe how much time I haven't spent on this...

I've been working on a mini-mod that's in my sig instead of this as of late.

I may as well show you guys.

p169261-0-dor2pic1zps53de4b89.png

p169261-1-dor2pic2zpsea69c85a.png

p169261-2-dor2pic3zps8c4da20b.png

The mod is short but sweet featuring a total of 7 endings and some very interesting content...

opinions?
Well I really like the way the moon looks. Very, very cool looking, especially in that first screenshot.

The 2nd screenshot is fucking with my brain though. What even am I looking at? Is it a "can't see the walls" kinda challenge?

And the custom back tiles in the 3rd screenshot look great, aswell.

Mainly I'm just interested in seeing what the mod really is, though! So you've got me excited.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:09 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
PolarStarGames said:
Well I really like the way the moon looks. Very, very cool looking, especially in that first screenshot.

The 2nd screenshot is fucking with my brain though. What even am I looking at? Is it a "can't see the walls" kinda challenge?

And the custom back tiles in the 3rd screenshot look great, as well.

Mainly I'm just interested in seeing what the mod really is, though! So you've got me excited.
you were a little fast.

I added another screeny

the 2nd one does have invisible walls, (actually only invisible floors)

thanks for the feedback though

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Link dont work. Is it normal?

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:23 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"