Summer ORGmaking Extravaganza

Do you plan on participating in one of these contests?

• Yes, all of them.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Yes, one or two of them.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
Jul 11, 2016 at 6:12 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yeah I want to echo what @Bavi_H is getting at here. When I first saw "No" I took it to be that what DoubleThink requested is not allowed and we have to replace a Cave Story drum with the cat regardless. Which yes, doesn't really make sense, since that setup with the cat isn't going to work in a Cave Story mod, unhacked (unless you're zxin).

I take it that using the Cat drum as an actual instrument means people use it more like a melody wave rather than percussion, such that the cat plays a tune when utilized. Of all the ORGs I've heard that use the cat drum, almost all of them use it as a drum and not to carry a tune. Even for me, I've never used the cat drum to try and make a tune. Percussion in ORG doesn't tune the same way as a melody wave, so it's impractical, at least to me.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
In addition, are we allowed to overlay the cat instrument track with a soft wave track to give it more pitch? Things sound kind of ugly if you're only using the cat instrument.

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
When you said "So no", did you mean you will allow other drums (no, it's not too much of a stretch, you'll allow it), or you will not allow other drums (no, they're not allowed)?

Can you tell me more what you mean by "use the Cat Instrument as an actual instrument and not a drum"? I don't understand that.

Can you tell me more about why you want to allow the Cat drum to replace one Cave Story drum, but require the other Cave Story drums be kept? Using Cat means it will be incompatible with Cave Story, so I don't understand the benefit of the other drums remaining as Cave Story drums.

Fine, whatever, use whatever drums you want. Just ignore everything I've said.

Yeah I want to echo what @Bavi_H is getting at here. When I first saw "No" I took it to be that what DoubleThink requested is not allowed and we have to replace a Cave Story drum with the cat regardless. Which yes, doesn't really make sense, since that setup with the cat isn't going to work in a Cave Story mod, unhacked (unless you're zxin).

I take it that using the Cat drum as an actual instrument means people use it more like a melody wave rather than percussion, such that the cat plays a tune when utilized. Of all the ORGs I've heard that use the cat drum, almost all of them use it as a drum and not to carry a tune. Even for me, I've never used the cat drum to try and make a tune. Percussion in ORG doesn't tune the same way as a melody wave, so it's impractical, at least to me.

I've only heard the Cat Instrument used three times and every time the person used it like one of the WAV instruments. I guess we've had different experiences.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:35 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Fine, whatever, use whatever drums you want. Just ignore everything I've said.
I wanted to gently convince you the rule didn't make sense, but I came on a little too heavy. I apologize.

In the future, maybe a short discussion period to propose and iron out the rules before opening a contest might be helpful.

I'm not personally participating in these contests -- I'm not much of a composer and only an occasional transcriber. I'm just an ORG-format nerd who likes to discuss misunderstandings in the ORG format when I see them. I apologize I went a little overboard.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:43 AM
I was having a bit of a bad day (still kind of carrying over from that) and I apologize if I seemed kind of put off when I was making my post.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:58 PM
Oh, alright so uh.... technically the deadline was two days ago. I guess since there were ZERO entries we should consider that one a bust. In that case I don't think any further contests would be a good idea. Or perhaps it was because of Modcon? IDK tell me what you guys think. Should I wait until August to decide the next one?

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Modcon has been rather a distraction, I'd advise pushing everything back a bit, including this one

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:34 PM
Modcon has been rather a distraction, I'd advise pushing everything back a bit, including this one

Eh... I think most people were looking forward to the Transcription contest anyway. I'll start that on August 1st.