Sorajima Monogatari

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:43 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Nightgazer13 said:
^^ What's wrong with Curly's walk (aside from the speed in the intro). Seems fine to me. And what's this about CPU rape? My laptop handles it just fine for the most part.

Anyhow, long time lurker, first time poster. I love this game, and I'm glad to see you got it started again. The physics have come a long way since the first release, and are now very close to Cave Story's. I also love the custom enemies you've created (especially the spiders). Can't wait for the next release!

PS: Anyone found the secret in the robot infested town yet? I'm still looking...

Thanks, I made the spider on a whim after playing Spelunky. ^_^ The next release will be out once I've finished the Mushroom Valley and add a new weapon.

Vercci said:
There's 4 frames of animation for walking. This is only using three of them. she looks like she's punching the air.

Hmmm... I'll work on this, always thought there were only three...:) would be much obliged if you showed me the fourth frame.

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It uses 3 images, but uses 4 frames of animation.

Here's what your one looks like

p64668-0-sorajimawalk.gif

Here's how cave story uses it

p64668-1-properwalk.gif

Arranged like this
(Top is first, bottom is last)

p64668-2-curlywalk1.gif

p64668-3-curlywalk2.gif

p64668-2-curlywalk1.gif

p64668-5-curlywalk3.gif

(From standing still to the foreground arm moving foward, to the standing still image, to the foreground arm moving back : Loop here)

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:27 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Vercci said:
It uses 3 images, but uses 4 frames of animation.

Here's what your one looks like

p64668-0-sorajimawalk.gif

Here's how cave story uses it

p64668-1-properwalk.gif

Arranged like this
(Top is first, bottom is last)

p64668-2-curlywalk1.gif

p64668-3-curlywalk2.gif

p64668-2-curlywalk1.gif

p64668-5-curlywalk3.gif

(From standing still to the foreground arm moving foward, to the standing still image, to the foreground arm moving back : Loop here)

Thanks a bunch, that helps a lot. :) Didn't realise that.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Ah, I see you're still working on the project, Kurai! I've been having a look at the GMC, without finding the SM topic in the first five or so most recent pages of topics... but right, I guess the Cave Story forum is a better place to get feedback for a Cave-Story-like project. ^_^

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:06 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When i beat Quote in the warehouse and get on the helicopter outside, The game freezes and i have to exit. then i try again and it freezes again. what do i do?

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:27 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I have played your newer Sorajima Monogatari-"P" edition too.
Nice job fixing the weapon power up.
Did you change Quote? It seems he is easier to beat and less intelligent now? If so, I liked the old one more.
The game slowed down a bit in mushroom level, but it`s maybe my computer`s fault. There was no slowing down in the previous version.
I suggest adding the possibility of drown when you are in water.
Hope you`ll soon publish an edition with new levels.

Best wishes,
trickybilly

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM
He changed quote to act like the other robots you fight. I think it was due to bawwing.

I hope to hell that walljumping is an intended feature :3

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:35 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
But with Polar Star level 3 the old Quote was a piece of cake. People just didn`t had the patience to level it up.

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Old Quote was a piece of cake regardless of weapon level. It just took longer is all.

And it's even easier if you abuse invincibility.

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Vercci said:
He changed quote to act like the other robots you fight. I think it was due to bawwing.

I hope to hell that walljumping is an intended feature :3

Well Curly could do it in the original Cave Story. :rolleyes:

trickybilly said:
I have played your newer Sorajima Monogatari-"P" edition too.
Nice job fixing the weapon power up.
Did you change Quote? It seems he is easier to beat and less intelligent now? If so, I liked the old one more.
The game slowed down a bit in mushroom level, but it`s maybe my computer`s fault. There was no slowing down in the previous version.
I suggest adding the possibility of drown when you are in water.
Hope you`ll soon publish an edition with new levels.

Best wishes,
trickybilly

Gonna be out soon. Gonna try make sur there are no bugs in this next version.

Yah, Quote was a bit heavy on the random scripting side. He seemed more intelligent because of the extra stuff but it also made him a bit glitchy. With the Soldiers I had refined what I had done with Quote. Excel uses the same AI as the original Quote. Got to fix her up quite a bit too.

Also I think the slow down in mushroom valley is because I added more enemies. Working on a script which deactivates all you can't see but reactivates them when you can see them so there is no lag.
Thanks.:D

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:05 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'm using deactivation for Gun-Princess, and a great problem with using that is that enemies can get stuck in deactivated walls since the deactivated walls doesn't really exist before they are activated again... so be careful. Try to make enemies stop at where they are as soon as you can't see them, and then deactivate everything further away than, say, 4 tiles from each side of the screen. That's the advice I can give.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Interesting mod you're making, take your time doing it through because it seems that you plan on adding a lot of stages meaning there's going to be a lot or maybe too much to expect here.