So I started a hack.

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:57 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Runelancer wasn't online for ages...

its also too bad the mod wasnt finished i loved this, especially the modded upside down flamer

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:55 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Wow, I didn't even notice....
Yes, I am dissapointed as well. As you said, the Ion Device was awesome, and those timed explosive charges were fast becoming awesome. It's too bad he didn't explain at least where the weapons are located in the code..

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:28 PM
Hoxtilicious
TooManyBullets said:
Wow, I didn't even notice....
Yes, I am dissapointed as well. As you said, the Ion Device was awesome, and those timed explosive charges were fast becoming awesome. It's too bad he didn't explain at least where the weapons are located in the code..

It's way to hard for the people of this forum to understand it.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:50 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Well, the thing is, by saying that, he just assumes that everyone here is too stupid. Whereas, if he'd actually tried, he could surely have taught someone something before he disappeared.

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:14 AM
Hoxtilicious
upthorn said:
Well, the thing is, by saying that, he just assumes that everyone here is too stupid.

That's not what I said! Don't skew my words.

upthorn said:
Whereas, if he'd actually tried, he could surely have taught someone something before he disappeared.

There are enough internet tutorials so why need a teacher? ;)

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:17 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
that is wrong he can leave and not say a single thing if he wants you dont control him.... ;)

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:19 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It's too bad he left.
Maybe he'll be back though. I completely forgot about these forums for a good 5 months until a couple days ago when I got an email from them reminding me of my birthday! ;)

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:24 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
lol ;)

hmmm not sure if i put my birthdate on this....

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:20 AM
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
That's not what I said! Don't skew my words.
I know that's not what you said. I'm saying that RuneLancer often simply assumed that noone here would be able to understand if he explained something to them. And he usually did this without actually ever trying to explain that thing.

And I was talking about stuff like how to modify cave story weapons, which there aren't internet tutorials for.
Hell, I can't even manage to run cave story through a disassembler without it crashing to try and make use of my knowledge of ASM on it.
Which is actually kind of a good example. Runelancer didn't share his disassemblies because "noone here would understand them". Even after several people here said that they knew some assembly and would try to learn.

That's what I'm talking about.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:11 PM
Hoxtilicious
What me makes mad, is that you are talking about rune when he is not here and has no chance do defend himself! That's really frail, stop lying!

upthorn said:
I know that's not what you said. I'm saying that RuneLancer often simply assumed that noone here would be able to understand if he explained something to them. And he usually did this without actually ever trying to explain that thing.

He actually explained MUCH! And he never said noone would understand!
He never assumed this, but the thing is it's actually fully true! Or do you know people who have real big assembly hacks beside rune?! The only one who was hacking the exe a bit beside rune was me.

upthorn said:
And I was talking about stuff like how to modify cave story weapons, which there aren't internet tutorials for.

Of course! Man, that's machine code how many people are actually understanding it?

upthorn said:
Hell, I can't even manage to run cave story through a disassembler without it crashing to try and make use of my knowledge of ASM on it.

What do you mean even not you can manage, you know assembler...?
So why didn't you figured it out at your own yet?!
You know what MOV, or ADD means? What's EAX?

Well, even me without knowing assembler before managed to get a disassembler. It can't be that hard!

upthorn said:
Which is actually kind of a good example. Runelancer didn't share his disassemblies because "noone here would understand them".

Lies! He actually did! And he shared more than any other person here! (Well, I don't wanna show off, but I found out alot too. So I don't know who found out more. Whatever.)
And he also shared his assembly primer with the disassembler!

upthorn said:
Even after several people here said that they knew some assembly and would try to learn.

Noone knew assembly! They just said they wanna learn, everyone can say that. But actually how many oft them already learned it!? (I tried a bit, but even not really learned it, only the simple basics.) If you really know assembler, you can do at your own!

Rune was truely a good person!

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:15 AM
Dude.
Rune did not share the locations of weapons in the code
and he specifically said that this was because people here would not be able to understand.

And he never did try to explain them before deciding that noone here would be able to understand.
And that is not a lie.

AND I said all this stuff when rune was around to defend himself. Or should I not express my opinion just because he abandoned this place?

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:19 AM
Hoxtilicious
upthorn said:
Dude.
Rune did not share the locations of weapons in the code
and he specifically said that this was because people here would not be able to understand.

He DID share the locations!
I have them in a textfile which is from a post of this forum!

upthorn said:
And he never did try to explain them before deciding that noone here would be able to understand.
And that is not a lie.

It's a lie, that's just what you say, not rune!
He don't explained because he don't wanna make all the work for other people... Anyhow he had plans to make Manuals and I'm sure he also planned to make a weapon hack FAQ.

upthorn said:
AND I said all this stuff when rune was around to defend himself. Or should I not express my opinion just because he abandoned this place?

You delineate him like he's a arrogant idoit...
You should start some search before you're posting wrong information...

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:39 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I never finished runes game, I didn't feel like doing anything hard (and I got a really bitter taste when I tried sue's workshoping it to give myself +20 hp but couldn't) and I thought the story was really boring. Can someone tell me what he did to weapons? I wasn't aware he edited them.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:32 PM
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
He DID share the locations!
I have them in a textfile which is from a post of this forum!
OH! Sorry. I figured that you were repeating the reason he didn't share them.
I remember that it was difficult to get him to share many things.

Perhaps he became more generous after I left for a while because his behavior was making me angry.

By the way, if you have that text file, have you posted it somewhere useful?
It would probably be more helpful to give people who ask about it a link to the information, rather than saying
ShInInG PhAnToM said:

And, by the way, that's what I remember about runelancer. He knew his stuff, but he was very arrogant about it, and didn't really share his notes. He shared a few things he found, but it was by far the minority.
Like, he said he found out how bosses work in the exe, but then he never let anyone else know.
It always felt like he was saying "hey, look what I found! I won't tell you how it works, though, you're too stupid!"

And here you are, doing the same thing. "I have RuneLancer's notes on the weapons. But I won't link to them, because noone here could possibly understand."
Maybe it's not on purpose, but what it conveys is that you think we're too stupid to use it.
And maybe we aren't.

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:19 PM
Hoxtilicious
upthorn said:
OH! Sorry. I figured that you were repeating the reason he didn't share them.
I remember that it was difficult to get him to share many things.

Perhaps he became more generous after I left for a while because his behavior was making me angry.

What me makes angry is that you just can't accept that rune won't share his things, which shows your irreverence and ignorance.

upthorn said:
It would probably be more helpful to give people who ask about it a link to the information, rather than saying
ShInInG PhAnToM said:

It would be more helpful to search Rune's post rather than saying
upthorn said:

upthorn said:
And, by the way, that's what I remember about runelancer. He knew his stuff, but he was very arrogant about it, and didn't really share his notes. He shared a few things he found, but it was by far the minority.
Like, he said he found out how bosses work in the exe, but then he never let anyone else know.

He never tattled! Like you do, he also wasn't arrogant, it seems you can't accept that you also have work for your own!
He cannot make the whole work for you and you get the laurels for it and without even credit him...

upthorn said:
It always felt like he was saying "hey, look what I found! I won't tell you how it works, though, you're too stupid!"

upthorn said:
And here you are, doing the same thing. "I have RuneLancer's notes on the weapons. But I won't link to them, because noone here could possibly understand."

I haven't got any new notes I just saved the things he posted on another thread into a textfile...

upthorn said:
Maybe it's not on purpose, but what it conveys is that you think we're too stupid to use it.
And maybe we aren't.

I give you an advice:
Shut up if you have no idea, what 'ure talking about!

I already made the weapons having half range and those sorta things.

I've figured more out than you, it seems, atleast I tried! What did you do? You're just posting here and telling me that I have to hadle out some text file!
And what do you mean by "we" are you schizophrenic or what?

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:02 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
RuneLancer said:
I could. But I won't. I'll keep my findings to the boards as I decide to release them so that everyone may have a shot at their own hacks or be inspired to do some searching of their own. :D I'm a bit of an elitist, but it's my belief that a hack should be the cumulative sum of the author's creativity and skill, not just their ability to make use of others' work.

Here's the demo.

http://www.filefactory.com/get/v3/f2.php?f=469b6b

If anything weird happens, unexpected bugs and whatnot, please inform me so that I may fix them. The demo ends shortly after the boss fight.

Ehh could you please upload it in esnips instead please? ^^ Filefactory ain't quite working right for me...

Thanks

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:25 PM
Hoxtilicious
Look at the date... This thread is half a year old :x
Runelancer already left the forums.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:27 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Zzz i'm new here just signed in like... a few days ago >.> Sorry xD

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Is there anyone who would have a copy of it lying around on their computer somewhere?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:02 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
andwhyisit said:
Is there anyone who would have a copy of it lying around on their computer somewhere?
I have.
odfighdfoh[qghdfghoda (10 character limit)