Show off your org music...

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:18 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm not going to comment too much on the melody tracks but
Low wait time percussion /and/ enveloping? <3
Oh also track 4 is a fuckin work of art throughout, man.
Keep shit like this up; it is awesome.

if I weren't so lazy I'd take a closer look at the theory behind your chords and stuff but w/e
(By the way, that was about True Darknes [sic]
)

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:23 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Zenix said:
I have no idea what I was thinking when I made this, but it sounds interesting.......
True Darkness - Zenix
Enjoy..
Wow, fast wait time makes fast notes and percussion sound awesome. I'll admit though, it could have used more percussion for the longer held tracks 1, 2 and 3. I'm also not really a fan of the panning choices for a couple of the snares; it just felt out of place. The long notes need more volume enveloping, or more percussion. It kind of feels like it drags on when the notes are completely "flat".

That's not to say the ORG itself isn't a nice one. The second half is really good upon entry; the hill shaped notes at bar 158 onwards really put on an unsettling mood, topped with the smoothness of track 4 doing those trills. That was pretty cool. I just wish the solo bits with tracks 1, 2 and 3 had that same amount of polish to them that the second half gives.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:03 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It was going to be a final boss theme, then it kindof evolved into... that.
thanks for the input.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:00 PM
Beakface
First Order Doomsday

I'm not sure how to feel about the transition between ideas...I might have listened to the ORG so much that I may have become tolerant of the flow of ideas. -_-

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:43 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Jan 25, 2015 at 5:51 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Why yes, I do know that one. Fun fact: the company that developed it was actually called Pixel :debug: The notes sound accurate, but I don't know if you'd rather change up the instruments so that they're closer to the original.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:49 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
DoubleThink said:
Why yes, I do know that one. Fun fact: the company that developed it was actually called Pixel :debug: The notes sound accurate, but I don't know if you'd rather change up the instruments so that they're closer to the original.

Oh snap! I forgot about the company name! Quite a coincidence, I must say! XD
Although I always thought the game was made by Hot-B, Wikipedia seems to listed three different company names for the game. Yes, the same Hot-B who made fishing games and the terrible Hoshi wo Miru Hito (Stargazers).

I could change up the song, but this is just me testing out ORG Maker and it's more of a remix than anything. Might do that soon and fix it up for Cave Story modding purposes. I tried adding the song to the game and it didn't turn out that well.

Admittedly and a bit of shame on my part, this song wasn't sequenced, I had to use a glitchy decoder. I'm tone deaf like you wouldn't believe. :(
However, I remade it from scratch using the notes as a base, and used other players to figure out the percussion and such. Sorry to disappoint you on that regard.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:06 PM
duncathan said:
I don't know the original, but I can commend your use of high-resolution. If you wanna keep going with ORGs, that's definitely a good trick to know how to use.

Not to be rude or anything but can you explain what you mean by that post? I assume by high-resolution, you mean sound clarity, or decoding it using a different program?

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:20 AM
duncathan said:
No, high-resolution is increasing the number of steps per beat.

Ah, I think I get it now. The original song is actually like that with the snare being more common towards the middle.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:56 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Jan 30, 2015 at 2:32 AM
Beakface
2DBro said:
I

I had to make more

Just a couple

Here's the 2Dpack

Probably some of my OK songs
and new ones

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4tr2mq4ct7d8iu/2Dpack.zip?dl=0
Hmm a number of these I think I've heard before.
  • Pause sounds better at a softer volume.
  • Pacifist Factory is neat. I think the percussion came at a nice time. Could have built up a little more imo but I guess it also does well as a short loop.
  • Game...over... is okay. It doesn't really hit home for me as a "game over" piece. It reminds me a bit of Pacifist Factory.
Overall, your ORGs are very short and soft. There's some interesting takes on melody and harmony, but it's all very mellow. I don't know if that's the style you're going for, but that's basically what I get out of it.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:56 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This was incredibly fun to make

ShadowSmash

Completely original, mind you. Enjoy~!

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:35 AM
Beakface
Zenix said:
This was incredibly fun to make

ShadowSmash

Completely original, mind you. Enjoy~!
Haha, I like the percussion and the momentum of this piece. You have a way with choosing good instruments and making them sound great. Your balance is incredible.

As a challenge, I think some bars of repetition, notably towards the end, could have benefited more from playing around with the dynamics. There is a large section that basically seems like an exact repeat of another section heard earlier. Keeping the same structure in tact is fine, so perhaps reducing the volume when those bars repeat within the loop would help to change things up a bit, since the ORG is very uniform in terms of its dynamics. I don't know for sure if you did make adjustments, but I didn't hear or see them yet.

The introduction of new ideas starting with track 2 at bar 87 was all right, but new ideas introduced are always on the same bars with track 2. For me, it makes the piece sound really choppy because of the inflects of noise at the same intervals. I would have liked to see at least some of these tracks play continuously, like somewhere when the held track 8 at bar 101 joins with the other voices that play every two measures.

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Heheh, thank you, i've been playing with that a lot more.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hello again gang,
I have returned having had a shot at making an actual factual piece of contemporary music using the beeps and bloops of orgmaker,
The song is "Hurricane Drunk" by Florence + the Machine.
If you don't know it youtube that mofo, it's quite snazzy.
Then compare it to this; HurricaneDrunk
Harp is tricky...

Tinned_Duck