Reshaper256's Thread of Stuff Going

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Is it just me or is the Zelda3C site down?

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
andwhyisit said:
Is it just me or is the Zelda3C site down?
It's not down for me, try it again.

I suppose I need to make a post here, to let you all know what's up with me and the project. I haven't made any progress recently, and you can see that by a lack of posts in this thread. School's about to start back, and I'm going to be busy with that, as well as a couple of personal non-romhacking related projects. Also, I've proposed to my girlfriend, and we plan to get married on June 20th of next year, so saving and wedding planning is also on the list of things taking up my time.

I don't want to be discouraging, but with my time being taken up by other things... and in honesty, me not feeling as motivated as I once did... I don't want this to become a "chore" rather than a "hobby". So I hope you all understand if I just sort of drop into the background for a while, until I get my motivation back.

You can be sure I'm not quitting the project or anything like that. I've put far too much work into the sprite hacking to do that, and I realize that GM is counting on me to eventually get them done. But in short, starting a month or so ago, I felt that I needed (and still feel that I need) a break from the project, so I could focus on other things. You guys deserve to know not to expect my regular updates here when there won't be any.

Aug 22, 2008 at 1:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I'll see you in a few months I guess...

Good luck with the wedding. :D

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:22 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
Yea School starts soon for me too, I wasted the entire summer, and when I start programming during the school year, I'm gonna be behind in homework :)

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:20 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
Just so you guys know, I completed an ASM hack today. Can't tell you what it was, but I completed it, and it's going in the game as far as I know. :)

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:07 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
I've been following this project since 2005 and i find the lack of revealing ANYTHING new disappointing. do you guys have a general idea for the release date? late 2012 early 2015 or so? is asking for 2011 too much?

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:50 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
I´m watching on this project since 2003 and i´ve thought very often: It´s done when it´s done. As long as the result is worth calling it "Zelda".

That´s it.

Keep up the good work.

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:35 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
happy halloween!!!

this project has gone through its share of problems, and i will admit that it has taken longer than anyone would have liked, but gm has no intention of giving up, and i support and respect him for that. as far as i know, the overworld(the hardest part) is nearing completion. once thats done, the indoors should take almost no time at all. just be patient like the rest of us.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:35 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
How long HAVE I been working on Zelda3C? Looking back at my diary entries, the first post was in June 2002. That's over six years ago, and I know I got started sometime in 2001 when Hyrule Magic first came out. But there's definitely not seven years of progress -- it wouldn't take seven years to rewrite the whole game!

This hack is a hobby. I make no profit and won't gain anything when it's released. I've been interrupted for long periods by family, by moving across the country (three times), by important new games coming out, by computer meltdown, and in spite of my love for this game, by temporary burn-out. I might have never started if I'd known that, seven years later, I'd still be plugging away at it. Would you? It sounds ridiculous. And yet the things I have had time to accomplish, combined with the efforts of Reshaper256 and others, have developed a diamond in the rough.

One major reason for not posting more information, besides the notion of spoilers, is that the more you know, the less fun you will have when you play it. It's exciting to know that you can hookshot from house to house. But, knowing this, you won't be able to ask yourself, "Hmm, I wonder if I could use the hookshot here?" I've posted more screenshots than I would've liked, but not to create excitement. Early excitement is bad because it fizzles into boredom after a while. I show things in order to get feedback, primarily. I do like having a fan base, but I would keep working even if no one visited the site. This is because I know how well-received this game will be, someday.

ZeldaC ~ Outlands took one complete year to develop. More than half of it was spent learning about the ROM and writing my own editor. I imagined, once upon a time, that Zelda3C ~ Quest for Calatia would take three years. Four years, tops. But life takes precedence and I can't see the future.

There will never be a release date. Even if I did nothing else besides create this game, I couldn't possibly estimate the amount of work still remaining. Primarily, I don't know how long I need to finish creating brand new overworld structures. The overworld itself isn't hard to create, but things like original houses, towers, the castle, etc. have taken waaaay longer than I'd thought. Steep learning curve. The indoors, with its cookie-cutter design, will be fast and easy, for the most part. (I'm dreading the deep water ASM.) There will be no objects to create, only objects to arrange. But even when the major things are finished, I won't know for sure how long I'll need for polishing and bug-testing.

Once the overworld is finished, we can maybe start guessing in which year the game will be finished. In the meantime, thank you to everyone who chooses to follow along, in spite of the lack of details, when you could just forget about it until it's done. Having people rooting for me is a great thing since no one in "real life" cares about this game. I'll try to communicate more in the future, both in this forum and in the diary.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:41 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
long time, no see, gm. its good to have you back!

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GameMakr24 said:
I'll try to communicate more in the future, both in this forum and in the diary.
Yay! :D

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
been watching for years and will keep watching and cheering you on! keep up the good work, i'm just as excited to play this game as the day i 1st hear about it!

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:59 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
GameMakr24 said:
The more you know, the less fun you will have when you play it.
That is almost exactly how I feel !
For example, if you show us real pictures of the Dam, we won't get the awe when we see it for the first time in game.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
How is the dam/graveyard/tower issue coming along?

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
andwhyisit;39176 said:
How is the dam/graveyard/tower issue coming along?

Yes, please, there have been no activity for over 1 month.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
Sorry for the lack of replies. I'm currently very busy with school, and hacking has taken a back seat to it. I fully intend on getting back to the project when time allows, I've done too much with it to just quit, so don't worry about that. The same goes for GM, I'm sure.

It's being busy that's keeping us from hacking, not lack of interest.

Hope that makes you feel a little better. :/

You can probably expect this to be the nature of this project to the very end, as it has been since it started. Zelda3C won't die out, but we all have other issues in life that take over, sometimes for long periods of time, and sometimes all at once. We do this for fun and don't get paid for it.

Hope all of you understand.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
I´ve never had any doubts about that, But thanks for the info.

I wish everyone a nice 2009 (Yes I know it´s a bit late for that)

:)

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
Well, I really do intend on getting some stuff done, if I ever do find the time. I've got ideas running through my head all the time, but I don't often get to sit down and actually do any work on them. If this forum appears dead, it's not because the project itself is, and there's a few separate reasons for that:

1. The vast majority of what we work on is secret, and can't really be described in full. Doing so would end up spoiling things, or worse, developing false expectations that we may chuck overboard before the final release.

2. As mentioned before, real life often takes over, and the project takes second priority.

You will probably be able to expect more frequent updates as we come closer to a release date, but as things stand there's just not that much we can actually discuss here.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
Hi this is Eric, the guy who was mentioned in Gamemakr24’s diary post on October 26, 2008. This is my first post here and I just wanted to state that I’ve been working on this hack for the past several months and making progress. I’ve drawn only a few sprites but my real contribution primarily deals with concepts regarding the dungeon interiors. Of course I can not disclose any of the details here but I’ve sent Gamemakr24 my work and so far have received positive feedback from him. So just to let everyone know progress is being made.

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Lurking in the Shadows
Hi Eric,

You´re welcome!
(more guys working on the project means more ideas and perhaps faster results)

:D

Good luck

tesslaar