Recommend a game that you like that no one else seem to play

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Even if it's already been mentioned here, Iji is horribly underrated for being the pinnacle of awesome that it is.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:26 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I've played the demo for Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Is it the 1st game? Subtitles tend to confound me...), and I really enjoyed it. It's sort of funny how a certain enemy slightly resembled Pikachu in that game (Not entirely, though... It's just mostly yellow with a red dot on each side of its face)...

I should really try to get the full game. It's hard to believe this game (Especially one that was rated 5 discs in PSM over a decade ago, if I'm not mistaken) is actually underappreciated. I personally haven't seen anything on the sequels, though.

As for another game to chalk up here (Though I might end up getting flamed for this one, heh heh), I just recently started on Dungeon Magic: Sword of the Elements for the NES, and it sort of reminds me of a cross between The Curse of Lirzanfaro (Saving at inns & enemy spells that can make you very vulnerable) & Dungeon Master (Clever field monsters that like waiting for you to come around the corner to them & entering a certain symbol combination to cast spells).

Since I haven't reached very far, yet, I don't really have much else to say except this- All enemies in the caves that have 150+ Hit Points will kill in one blow early on (When the player character has around 12-39 HP)... I've personally went through that, along with giving the game the sacred finger more than once by hitting reset instead of pressing Start at the commonly seen "Your life is over - Evil wins again" screen.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
So it's like Gothic?

Oh yeah, I meant to say Gothic in here a long time ago. I don't see anyone who plays Gothic 1-3. I really liked 1. But like your game, you start out with nothing, and it's pretty much a one-shot from anything for the first few hours of playing.

It's nice though, how you could move around in the world and just mess around doing whatever kind of like Morrowind (the other Elder Scrolls games not so much), but you couldn't go kill someone and get the best weapon ever and rule the rest of the game. It has more Runescape-like skills, and you can't just learn them, you have to have someone teach most of them before you can start to level them up on your own. And that goes for carving (carving monsters for materials) too; you have to have the right skills and the right tools to take certain items from certain monsters to use to barter for other items. (I.e., need a knife to skin an animal, and trade it to a tailor for a shirt.)

It's a nice game, even though some of it's kind of vulgar (you can trade bodies with a prostetute and fuck up the final boss), I still like it, and it's a really nice game.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:41 PM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Shining force!!

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:34 PM
Banned
Turn-based? Gross.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Fire1052 said:
Turn-based? Gross.
Wha..?! *throws a bucket of water on Fire's head*

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:14 AM
Banned
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
*beats down Fire with a crowbar*

(OHHHHHHHHHH YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! MAN HAVE I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THAT)

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:46 PM
Agent of the System
andwhyisit said:
Wha..?! *throws a bucket of water on Fire's head*

Ahh, so you like turn-based strategy do you? Try wesnoth.

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM
Banned
No, Joker. We all know how you just LOVE Wesnoth.

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:54 PM
Agent of the System
Fire1052 said:
No, Joker. We all know how you just LOVE Wesnoth.

Its fun game that requires intelligence to play, thus is why you can't play it.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Banned
First off, how could you possibley hope to measure my intelligence?
Second, maybe I just don't like how it looks, and therefore am put off. (i.e., it looks dumb.)

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Fire1052 said:
First off, how could you possibley hope to measure my intelligence?
Second, maybe I just don't like how it looks, and therefore am put off. (i.e., it looks dumb.)

First, it's possibly. No 'e'.
And second, something may 'look dumb', but often our judgements are a mirror to our interpretations of ourselves.

May 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM
Been here way too long...
Liquid War. It's a seemingly simple freeware game where you control an "army" of liquid. It follows your cursor. You must take over your opponent's liquid by moving your liquid into contact with theirs. Your liquid will always "attack" in the direction it's moving, and can't defend very well from behind. So the trick is to flank and surround your enemy. May sound straightforward, but one game can go on for a long time. The bigger your army, the longer the game is. There are hundreds of levels and dozens of options. And it has online capabilities. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Just trust me, it's awesome. And it's so much better multiplayer.

May 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Captain Fabulous said:
Liquid War. Your liquid will always "attack" in the direction it's moving, and can't defend very well from behind.
What faggotry is this?

Lol, tried it, the name sounded bad, but the game seems quite fun, although the computer is easy to beat ._.

May 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Shut up people!

Crystalis - Nintendo Entertainment System

October 1st, 1997 - END DAY
A massive war between the nations eclipsed the world, plunging it into darkness. Cities fell and all civilization was nearly extinguished. The war had rocked the world and and axial shift took place, creatures began to mutate and become violent. The world was never the same...

100 years had since passed. The people worked together to rebuild what was lost, shunning the ways of violence and war, letting bygone days be forgotten for the sake of their children. A tower was erected to fly high above to forever rid their world of evil using the remaining technology of their ancestors and magic combined.

However, a legend states that evil will once again return as it has always and seek to claim power. One shall awaken to test this evil and defend the people from the awesome power that evil shall gain.

Crystalis is an RPG designed by SNK back in the late 80s for the NES. It's really a gamer's gem, but since it didn't advertise so well, it kinda fell into darkness. The game sets you as an amnesiac youth who awakens in a cave (boy doesn't that sound familiar...) just outside of a small village in the mountains. Your quest is to recover the four elemental swords and unite them to create the awesome weapon, Crystalis. Along the way, you collect various armors and shields as well as some neat tools and magical powers along the way to further progress yourself through the world. The game was well ahead of its time. Perhaps too ahead seeing as it received such a small fan-base. It's unfortunate that this game has lost it's popularity like this.

You can still find it today if you use an NES emulator. There's all sorts of sites out there providing the file.(Being that it's unlawful to provide links to such software and data, I cannot provide it directly here. If you want to find it though, PM me or send me an instant message.)

May 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Moddex said:
Shut up people!
Crystalis - Nintendo Entertainment System
X-Calibar!. I was playing it month ago and stopped. That happened before Cave Story and it explains how a floating island exists. There are also similar character names to Cave Story. I am thinking that there is a high chance that Pixel took some of imaginations from this game. It is not necessary him because we know that his friends helped him making the game and beta testing it. So it might some of his friends played Crystalis before.

May 22, 2009 at 9:27 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Haithm said:
X-Calibar!. I was playing it month ago and stopped. That happened before Cave Story and it explains how a floating island exists. There are also similar character names to Cave Story. I am thinking that there is a high chance that Pixel took some of imaginations from this game. It is not necessary him because we know that his friends helped him making the game and beta testing it. So it might some of his friends played Crystalis before.

Well, keep in mind, Hayao Miyazaki made a movie also using the floating ancient island concept (Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind). I don't know when that movie was exactly conceived, but I wager there's a similarity there too. In the game, there is a boss you have to fight that looks strikingly similar to the giant insect from Nausicaä.

But you might be right, who knows? It's possible Daisuke also got the idea from Nausicaä too though.

May 22, 2009 at 10:14 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Live a Evil

Oh, oh!!
Has anyone mentioned "Live a Live"?!?
It's just like Cave Story, not in gameplay or story sense, but in the fact that it's another game from Japan that we here've barely heard about...
Cave Story's actually more wide-known than Live a Live...

Anyways, it's an old SNES game that was only released in Japan, so your only hope is to get a SNES emulator {I recommend ZNES, or was it ZSNES...} and finding an English translated ROM..
There's this sweet Deluxe version, somewhere.....

The Basic Game:
The game's divided into 6 chapters, where you play as a different character in each one, ranging from a Caveman during pre-historic times to a Robot in the far future, to a Ninja in the feudal wars of China {Or something, I don't remember that one well XD}.
Each one differs greatly in gameplay, and a 7th chapter is unlocked upon the completion of the other 6.
This one is closest to the standard RPG form that games like Final Fantasy and such use.
After beating that chapter, the final 8th one unlocks, and all the previous randomness makes sense. This chapter also relies heavily on Turn-Based-Combat and adventuring.
The Story, near the end, anyways, is a very dark, yet strangely true and compelling one. But I'd hate to give off any more spoilers....

Also! There are 6 special dungeons in the last chapter, one for each of the characters. If you can find each one and get to the end, that character gets a special super item only for them.
There are also 5 secret bosses at the final chapter. Finding one and beating it results in one of the fabled equipment items.
See if you can get them all :D

Anyways, in the end, I recommend this mostly for it's great story line and ending gameplay.
There are at least 3 endings, see if you can get them all, >=D

{Also, Live a Live is titled so because the second Live is turned backwards, becoming eviL...}
{And see if anyone notices a pattern with the Boss names...
..Which again makes sense in the end...}

May 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Haithm said:

Hi Haithm :D You shouted my name? (but added a period?)
Yeah, Crystalis is still one of my favorite RPGs... Its japanese title was "God Slayer"... Don't know what really influenced Pixel or his friends, but the similarities and being created within a certain timeframe must mean something. Even if not directly connected, the conclusions are similar enough to be of interest :D

Oh, I wrote down all text from the NES game to help me with my mod; thought I'd post it for kicks :
http://www.geocities.com/x-calibar/Crystalis.txt