Mar 8, 2018 at 4:46 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Nicalis only rewrote renderer/sound engine/main menu. All game logic is straight copy-paste from original, afaik.
Yeah, if I took the effort to do it, I'd probably be able to decompile CS+ without much effort, since it uses the same code-base. And since I bought it, I'm protected by fair use in Germany. (would they even care)

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:50 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
would they even care
You would be surprised. NICALiS doesn't like ports that aren't made by them (because they can't make money off of them) even though NX-evo has some features that CS+ lacks.

Some CSTSF members once contacted NICALiS over the NX Flash port which was illegal but not because it was putting CaveStory on a flash site. It was illegal because it violated the GPL. So technically, NICALiS had no legal right to do legal action against anyone. NICALiS also gave up their Cave Story trademark.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 5:20 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
not because it was putting CaveStory on a flash site. It was illegal because it violated the GPL
Truth be told, it's was because those sites were riddled with ads (thus, making money for their owners). Nicalis couldn't care less about some GPL violations, only money/trademark bothers them.
They did, however, shot down original nxengine 3ds port, because, again, money.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 5:50 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well, would you consider decompiling to NASM, FASM or GAS from binary decompiling because those are some very different languages (one makes sense and one makes you want to kys). In most cases decompiling means the exact same thing as dissasembling. If I wanted to, I could decompile to C-- or Pascal, languages which CS was not written in and are very different.
Don't obsess over semantics.

There are a lot of types of assembly and even some asm that don't conform to standards like FASM.
Uh, no? NASM, FASM, and GAS are all assemblers. Not assembly languages.

'Disassemble' means to convert machine code to its equivalent assembly mnemonics, which can then be assembled back to the exact same machine code. Just because one assember's syntax is slightly different to another doesn't change that. Decompilation is the process of turning machine code into code in a high-level language, which more than likely will not produce the same machine code when compiled.

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:43 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Uh, no? NASM, FASM, and GAS are all assemblers. Not assembly languages.

'Disassemble' means to convert machine code to its equivalent assembly mnemonics, which can then be assembled back to the exact same machine code. Just because one assember's syntax is slightly different to another doesn't change that. Decompilation is the process of turning machine code into code in a high-level language, which more than likely will not produce the same machine code when compiled.

Oh I see what you mean now. Thank you for clearing it up.