Plotholes and gaps: What we DON'T know

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
What makes you think there are only fifteen? Have you counted them all? I bet there's more than that. Also, you're assuming that every mimiga on the whole island has appeared onscreen.

Yes, I am.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
You can't run a PLANTATION off of less than fifteen people. I'm from Georgia. I know these things.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
But most of the ones on the plantation were used for experiments right before the end of the game, right?

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM
andwhyisit Online
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
MetaSeraphim said:
But the Core and it's first holding place had to be there way before the explorers came to the island, right?
Yeah, but as a normal cave. No platforms or doors.

I am willing to bet that the core was, and still is, passive, but hates robots since it was attacked by them during the war.

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM
Banned
Brickman said:
But most of the ones on the plantation were used for experiments right before the end of the game, right?

What are you talking about? They didn't experiment on them...
The only Mimiga they even tested the red flowers on was Toroko.

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Fire1052 said:
Well, those Balcony's enrageds had to get there somehow...

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:49 PM
/end
Fire1052 said:

You're forgetting the time that happens before you start playing the game.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
C-c-c-c-c-crossposted

Slife said:
My handwave for a bunch of things. About five minutes of vigorous palm motion.

The island is a floating island. There're a lot of them in fantasy, but it doesn't really matter how it floats so much as that its "natural state" is floating*.

A long time ago: Ballos goes completely nuts. He tries to kill everyone.
Jenka decides that's a bad idea, so she tries to isolate him, teleporting him to the floating island. Ballos, having no teleportation ability of his own (it would have shown up when you fought him) decides to kill everyone and free himself by causing the island to crash to the ground. Jenka counters this by making the core, which has the ability to screw with gravity and acts as a seal on Ballos' power. The water in the core's room acts as a sink for momentum - it can be raised or lowered in order to offset any fluctuations in the power struggle.

Slightly less of a long time ago: Misery decides that all that crazy powerful magic shouldn't go to waste. She approaches Ballos and gets him to make the Demon Crown, which would let the wearer use some of Ballos' intense magical powers. Like any story with an evil genie, he grants her wish, but gives it a nasty twist. She is bound to forever serve the master of the crown, and every time the crown is used it acts as a corrupting influence since Ballos hates everything. This creates all sorts of nasty stuff as time goes on, such as the red flowers, spikes, et cetra. All of hell (since it's closest to Ballos it would logically have more corruption), and almost anything red and evil can be attributed to this.

Ten-fifteen years before the game: Some scientists (Responsible for most of the modern influences upon the island. Probably including Malco and the power room) find the core. They see a fluctuating water level and are all "Sweet! Free energy!"**. They build platforms in the room for observation or something.*** Some killer robots come through and try to destroy the base (presumably since the scientists are from another country). They attack the core since it's central to the power generation operation, and get wiped out.

Later on: Quote kills the core. Ballos is now free to try to kill everyone. He starts stage one of his plan, bringing the island crashing to the ground. When Quote and Curly kill Ballos, he isn't adding any extra downward acceleration anymore, so the island stops falling. Incidentally, since Ballos is spending a vast amount of energy pulling the island down he isn't fighting at his full "destroy a city in one instant" capacity.

*The game says Jenka confined Ballos to a floating island. It doesn't say she confined him to an island and then made it float.

**Vaguely Supported by the music track being called "geothermal"

***The core would be virtually unbeatable if those platforms weren't there to let you dodge the shots. I assume that Jenka originally had it in a platformless flooded cave, which would make it much better at protecting itself

Why you need to fetch jellyfish juice instead of, say, water.

Jellyfish juice is the only thing in CS that puts out fire and then starts it again. I imagine that the mimigas, like many primitive cultures*, have a difficult time getting fires started (and a lack of trade with the surface prevents them from getting flint and steel or matches), and as such just putting out a fire to get something out of a fireplace is a bad idea.

Jellyfish juice is probably some sort of mixture of a flammable compound and water. The water damps down the fire to the point where it's safe to pass through, and once it's all evaporated out the flammable compound can be reignited.

*Although imports from the surface have begun to change their way of life - I suspect that many of the high-tech devices that the mimigas have (along with miscellaneous modern items such as Jack's hat) were received as gifts from, traded for, or scavenged from human explorers/researchers. This explains why King still uses a sword - given the scarcity of natural metal in the cave, a metal weapon is a status symbol that only the Number One in a village to afford.

Their culture still hasn't shifted enough to make mimigas with guns possible (too much stigma from the killer robots, I'd imagine). Contrast with the Gaudi, who are much more advanced, and have much more access to metals due to the large deposits of scout robots in the labyrinth and possible deals with Jenka.**

**Yes, I love over-analyzing things.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Like, then.... the Jelly would make a goody weapon. Burn baby burn, fill with Jelly, ask somebody to enter. They won't really need Quote then.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Banned
freezit4 said:
Like, then.... the Jelly would make a goody weapon. Burn baby burn, fill with Jelly, ask somebody to enter. They won't really need Quote then.

It would make a good weapon, but it would be far short on ammunition.
What, one in like, forty* jellies make juice?

*And that's only on Quote's 2-D plane. There's prolly hundreds more.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM
/end
Just use the jellies themselves and problem solved.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Molotov Jellies? Um...

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:00 AM
Banned
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Is it safe to eat then?

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:54 AM
/end
If they aren't poisonous.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:55 AM
Banned
How will you know if they arent?

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:05 AM
/end
You go up to some random person and tell them you will pay them 20 dollars to eat a jelly, if they die you will know.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:06 AM
Banned
Hey Fire!!! Ill give you 20 bucks to eat this jelly.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:08 AM
/end
Try someone who isn't on the forum.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:11 AM
Banned
ermm... Hey Mario! Ill give you 20 coins to eat this jelly!

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:40 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
But he is inside the forum. Try your son. Luke.

Like well, jellyfishes do have venom, but not entirely.