Org or Pxtone?

OrgMaker or Pxtone?

• Total voters
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:39 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
one of my favorite things in pxtone is how I can use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V (or right clicking, I forget) to copy and paste segments easily, without having to open a silly copy dialogue window everytime like I have to do in orgmaker. It's much faster/much easier.
Are you saying this despite the copy toolbar in ORG? Just curious. I found that toolbar really useful and arguably one of the reasons why I ended up just sticking with ORG instead of persisting with Pxtone.

I wonder if there's any way to change up the font colours and size for the little menu options under the Voice, Unit and Keyboard tabs. Tiny white and yellow text against light grey is really atrocious to look at. ORG at least has a default, bearable-to-look-at interface.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ok but, pxtone has the bar too right? the green one at the top?
you just drag the selection you want to copy, and then click where you want to put it

I don't see how it could be easier

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The copy toolbar in ORG that I meant was the one where you could just click the number of bars you wanted to copy, then select the 2x option to copy said bar over to the next adjacent one. It allows one to copy with two clicks. There is also the select cursor at the bottom of the screen.

you just drag the selection you want to copy, and then click where you want to put it
Yes, but there is also pressing Ctrl+C or right clicking to copy before clicking where the measures should be copied over to. Not saying that's any less hard, but with ORG Maker one could quite easily copy over measures without having to select a copy option in between.

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:40 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I always hid the copy toolbar in orgmaker, because having too many toolbars clutters the screen. And it's kind of huge in comparison to the other toolwindows, around twice the size of the other 2.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:23 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I don't really understand what you mean by "it always has to be 312". It sounds like you're just adjusting the wait time and doing a trial/error to get to 300. But there is a bit of an easier approach.

On the Song Setup screen (F2), just input "300" into the BPM column and then click the left arrow. It automatically converts the BPM into the wait time and with that method, will allow you to save your changes. Below, you can see the arrow selected after I specify that I want a BPM of 300. The equivalent wait time is then 50.

yeah, its pretty much a trial and error process. also, thanks for the tip. i wasnt really aware of what those arrows did :\

In OrgMaker 2.1.0 and higher, you can use the computer keyboard as a piano to rehearse, but not to enter notes or record.

i knew this. thats why i said that you can sorta do it, but not really. basically, it was just the way you described it.

also im kinda curious: is there any reason why nobody gave a shot at trying to change the cave story music format? i do not know much about cave story modding, neither the process of doing something like changing music format, so excuse me if i make it sound like it should be an easy thing to do.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:33 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
also im kinda curious: is there any reason why nobody gave a shot at trying to change the cave story music format? i do not know much about cave story modding, neither the process of doing something like changing music format, so excuse me if i make it sound like it should be an easy thing to do.

Noxid did a proof-of-concept with PxTone. I'm working on something, but I need to figure out how to convert the soundtrack and still have it loop.

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:27 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
PxTone is definitely better, but I'm not sure which I like more. I use both, but lately have been just using the latest ORG Maker. Probably because it's simpler and I don't enjoy having to find which samples I want to use lol.

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:35 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
PxTone is definitely better, but I'm not sure which I like more. I use both, but lately have been just using the latest ORG Maker. Probably because it's simpler and I don't enjoy having to find which samples I want to use lol.
Do you have the pepo pack?
it's got more samples than I could ever find use for

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:48 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
yup, that's the one
there was a pepofont 2.0 in the works but I don't think it ever got finished

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 11, 2015 at 9:50 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Now that I've taken the time to learn PXTone, I can safely say it's far superior to org. It's generally quicker, allows for custom samples, and FUCKING PITCH BENDING

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:29 PM
Now this is a bump, but I don't think a lot of people know this, so it's pertinent.

One minor advantage OrgMaker has (at least 2.1): HOLY CRAP YOU CAN CHANGE INSTRUMENTS WHILE THE SONG IS PLAYING.

Try it! It's a good way to judge instrument changes. I think that PxTone stops playing if you even try it?

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:37 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Now this is a bump, but I don't think a lot of people know this, so it's pertinent.

One minor advantage OrgMaker has (at least 2.1): HOLY CRAP YOU CAN CHANGE INSTRUMENTS WHILE THE SONG IS PLAYING.

Try it! It's a good way to judge instrument changes. I think that PxTone stops playing if you even try it?

You can change the instrument of a voice track in pxtone as the song is playing pretty easily, however it can't be done mid-note. The easiest work around for this though would be to have 2 tracks play the same note, and adjust the volume levels as necessary to have them swap back and forth. And interestingly enough, this is a strategy that only works in pxtone/not in orgmaker, since orgmaker's lowest volume setting doesn't actually completely mute the sound.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Ah, no, that's not quite what I mean... I mean you do like

-Start the song playing

-Go into the instruments dialog

-Click a new instrument for any track; it will change as the song continues to play, so you can test several without having to click okay and restart the song and whatnot.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:49 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

-Start the song playing

-Click a new instrument for any track; it will change as the song continues to play, so you can test several without having to click okay and restart the song and whatnot.

Oh, well... pxtone doesn't really have that, no. I imagine it would be a bit harder to handle, given how pxtone is sample based and samples vary in size. But probably not an impossible feature to implement.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:30 PM

-Start the song playing

To clarify, there's only one way to get into the Instruments dialog box while the song is playing:

While the song is playing the menu bar and shortcut key (F1) are disabled, but you can still click the "Tr" button in the track toolbar to get to the Instruments dialog box. The "Tr" button was a new thing in 2.1.0, so I guess Rxo Inverse just forgot to disable it also. I don't know why Rxo decided to disable the menu bar and shortcut keys, maybe Rxo felt it wasn't safe to change settings while the song is playing. If you do change settings during playback, you might want to keep an eye open for any buggy behavior.

Well, maybe it's not so bad. I tried using the "Tr" button during playback right now, and didn't notice any problems. And it sounds like Jazz Jackalope uses it a lot and hasn't had any problems. But I remember playing around with the "Tr" and "Wait" buttons during playback in the past and running into strange behavior. Maybe it was just when I used the "Wait" button to look at the Song Properties during playback that caused problems.