new law that will prohibit the streaming of games if passed.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:01 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Those who don't like torrenting things can now get in trouble. And by trouble, I mean possibly becoming a US felon.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think the government has more important things to do than to waste valuable time and money trying to catch teenagers that download music from the pirate bay.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:13 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, SOPA was going to go to vote on Thursday (December 15). But through a series of derailments has been (probably) delayed until after congress gets back from the holiday break.

I wish they would just get it over with. I seriously can't take much more of this...

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:14 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Sexpy scared the shit out of me and said it passed. I've been pretty mellow about this and put it in the back of my mind, but I recently just thought about how ridiculous it will be if it passes.

I want to get it over with too.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Huh, deSOPA, that was really fast. I mean, the bill hasn't even passed yet.

On the other hand this isn't necessarily a good thing. it was obvious all along that SOPA has serious holes when it comes to actually stopping piracy. This may well just be the next step in the censorship arms race between hollywood and the internet. The next slab of ice on the slippery slope as it were.

In order to fill the holes, more and more draconian methods will be required.

This path will not end well...

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:11 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Which would be the end of the internet and the start of Government Control Information Browzing. What hell that would be. It won't pass or be very effective.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Pirate Member
SOPA?

So we've all heard about that weird-ass law being passed in the US. What are your opinions on it?

As for me, well, this picture explains it:

p130381-0-2rfbo1c.jpg

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:02 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: SOPA?

Well, we all know it is a poorly thought out law proposed by geezers who obviously are not in touch with the modern scene of reality. In other words, I want to puke up the proposer's severed ears in the retirement home they will soon live in.

Don't worry, though. I believe it's been postponed until next year for "further examination." The elderly are obviously a little slow with these things; maybe they didn't get the message we blasted in their ears.

Youbitterbro? Yeah I bitter.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:04 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

We already have a thread for this, winner.

Also, that photo makes no sense, because 4chan doesn't have too much copyrighted material, just some reaction faces from da movies.
Also that's a British person in the right panel.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:03 AM
Pirate Member

cultr1 said:
We already have a thread for this, winner.

Also, that photo makes no sense, because 4chan doesn't have too much copyrighted material, just some reaction faces from da movies.
Also that's a British person in the right panel.

You need to look at the big picture, not at the details.

The picture implies that Europe is better when it comes to censorship.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:02 AM
Been here way too long...

Germany is part of Europe, though.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM
No it hasn't, you duche

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
p130388-0-220pxamyklobuchar.jpg

A wild congresswoman from Minnesota appears!

Wild congresswoman from Minnesota uses 'Ruin everyone's life!'

It's super effective!

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
Save us, Rick Santorum!!!!!!!!

Heh, just a sad joke of mine. My favorite politican conservative *might* vote against SOPA. But things are not looking pretty.

Wouldn't it be ironic if passing SOPA ended the mass-piracy of anime and saved the anime industry?

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't know. Would it be ironic if I knew anything about the anime industry to begin with?

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:54 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I don't think the anime industry needs saving. Anyways today I saw (for the first time) something in support of SOPA:
Support The Daily WTF in Supporting the Support SOPA Movement It’s January 18, 2012 and, while most of the internet has decided to blackout their sites in opposition to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), we’re taking an opposite stance and are whiting-out The Daily WTF in support of SOPA supporters. If there’s one thing that SOPA proponents like myself and SOPA opponents can agree on, it’s that PROTECT-IP and the Stop Online Piracy Act have little to do with protecting intellectual property and stopping online piracy. After all, those who choose to steal creative works like the “I Have a Dream” speech from artists like Martin Luther King Jr. can already be sued and prosecuted under existing United States copyright laws. IP thieves living overseas can already be extradited to face justice in our federal courts. And the Department of Homeland Security can already arbitrarily seize domain names that fit its arbitrary standard of violating national something-or-other. While these laws will make such acts more illegal (and therefore reduce infringement), they’re doing something much, much more important: helping dismantle DNS and the internet as we know it. And that’s something that we firmly support and can stand by. You see, back in the day, if you wanted to get online and access electronically-stored information like digitized photographs, electronic bulletin boards, and informational databanks, there was only one thing you needed: a telephone number. You’d simply fire up your favorite telecommunications program (mine was Telix), have it dial that phone number, and after a refreshing symphony of beeps and hisses, you were online. Each phone number transported you to a quaint, peaceful community that was almost entirely self-sufficient. There was no “hyperlinking” between systems: you simply wrote down the phone number, signed-off of the current system, and then dialed into the new system. And let me tell you, there are few experiences in life that can parallel the utter bliss of discovering a new phone number and a new electronic resource. And then the Information Superhighway – and its tightly integrated Domain Name System – came along, decimating these peaceful, independent communities. The bulletin boards of old were ground up and churned in the giant “dot com” machine, leaving an interconnected web of domain names. There’s no more “going online” – you’re already online – and if you want to access an electronic resource, you can use a “domain name” like TheDailyWTF.com. Domain names are highly confusing in that they not only describe what the electronic resource is, but where it is as well. Nothing else in the world works like this for obvious reasons. Could you imagine the complete confusion in day-to-day things like getting a phone number? Is that “jenny eighty-six dot com” or “jenny eighty-six dot net”? We would be in complete chaos. SOPA and PROTECT-IP offer hope in returning to the golden age of telecommunications, and to the days before the Information Superhighway polluted the online culture with this domain name nonsense. Let the Domain Name System a natural death and prepare yourself for the Internet Protocol Number (IPN) renaissance. All you need to do is start a notebook that lists electronic resource names and their corresponding IPN. And let the first entry in your notebook be
The Daily WTF 74.50.110.120
We can only hope that our legislators introduce common sense guidelines to ban HTTP (and HTML/JavaScript) as well so we can all return to the more sensible GOPHER standard.
It's an interesting argument, to say the least. Even though the idea of eliminating the DNS system sounds appealing, I don't think SOPA would be the way to go about doing it though.
I'm not sure that I would want to go back to the old phone number system though, to be honest. Sounds like it would just break everything currently in place and be a pain.
[EDIT]: I love the oatmeal, and this is no exception (note: this is ontopic)
p130391-0-sopa.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:05 AM
Can't tell if GIR can tell it's verbal irony...

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:08 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012 at 5:16 AM
Sorry, but I wouldn't want young and impressionable members thinking he had some good ideas. Nostalgia's nice and all, but getting rid of HTML is too silly for that to be serious.
It did make me lol, however, so thanks for sharing. Also your gif that you edited in, that was funny too.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/foru...rate-Digitanks

This^

I think this is starting to get out of hand.. I know this sound crazy but this could lead to the end of the internet as we know it..
A world were you can only access certain sites the government will let you.

They want control over us even more? If this goes through then they've got it.

I know I sound like I'm preaching xD But it wouldn't surprise me the slightest.. you cant monitor the whole internet but you can if you designate what sites you can access.
Think about how much stuff goes under the radar that we share over the internet...

All in all i think this is much much deeper then just piracy, I think the whole file sharing thing is just a cover up, you need to look at the big picture in front of us.