Movie script

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
True Hitoare said:
As I said, sure, his real name is Japanese. However, as I asked, will his real name ever be mentioned? This movie is in English, right? Thus, the only name people who just watch the movie will know him by would be "The Doctor." Meanwhile, some other people, like Toroko and Sue Sakamoto, have Japanese names, even though all the talking is in English. Thus, Japanese voices would make perfect sense for them. Quote and Curly would be two more examples of characters who could theoretically have native-English-speaking (US, UK, Canada, etc.) voices.

Or you could just stick with all Japanese or all English. That works just fine, too. Not like most people in dubbed anime sound Japanese. XP
English voices and spoken language, Japanese written language (except for Quote's hat).

True Hitoare said:
Hojo's not in Advent Children. And I've never played Crisis Core, as I don't have a PSP.
He is only voiced in Crisis Core. Ever heard of youtube? ;)

But just go with your own "creepy doctor" voice. Whatever you think fits Date.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:52 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Now that you mention FF, has anyone here played Septerra Core? Anime graphics, original English voices... I suppose that could help, too...

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
It is decided then. The word 'Doctor' shall be translated back into Japanese and he will be called thus throughout the movie. Whenever his name is said, in a slight overtone the English backtranslation will be spoken so that it sounds like they are both being said, however the Japanese version will be dominant. I'm sure this can be easily done in the editing room.
The idea is that if this movie does well we will be able to do one in Japanese as well. But all the voices should be in English in the English version. Layering Japanese and English voices won't exactly help us with the search for voice actors.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:42 AM
This Troper
Roonil Wazlib said:
What's the idea with "Curly Brace" being written in English though? It'll only confuse the viewers. Best leave that space on his hat blank.
The idea is that it's what was written on his hat on the concept art way before he got renamed Quote (it was mentioned back in this thread). I agree that it would bee confusing in the movie, but he has to have something written there. Sue figures out he's not from the Island because of the writing.

EDIT: Regular Member? Cool.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:52 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
T-Jack said:
The idea is that it's what was written on his hat on the concept art way before he got renamed Quote (it was mentioned back in this thread). I agree that it would bee confusing in the movie, but he has to have something written there. Sue figures out he's not from the Island because of the writing.

I know about the concept art, but it won't make sense in the movie. At all. The option is to replace the text, however we can assume that won't go down well with fans.

Maybe we can make the text size undecipherable during the movie and reveal it as an add-on after it gets over.

T-Jack said:
EDIT: Regular Member? Cool.
I'm not cool, I'm hawt!!!

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:04 AM
This Troper
Roonil Wazlib said:
I know about the concept art, but it won't make sense in the movie. At all. The option is to replace the text, however we can assume that won't go down well with fans.

Maybe we can make the text size undecipherable during the movie and reveal it as an add-on after it gets over.
Yeah, maybe. Or (as has already been suggested) translate "Curly Brace" into Japanese. Or put a generic baseball cap text on it. Or never directly show the text onscreen. Or have Quote lose his cap. Or let the cap get dirty so it wouldn't be readable anymore. Or... Oro?

Roonil Wazlib said:
I'm not cool, I'm hawt!!!
Yer waht?

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:38 AM
Respwnt
@ Jacob

No u.

T-Jack said:
Yeah, maybe. Or (as has already been suggested) translate "Curly Brace" into Japanese. Or put a generic baseball cap text on it. Or never directly show the text onscreen. Or have Quote lose his cap. Or let the cap get dirty so it wouldn't be readable anymore. Or... Oro?
Not Japanese, that's the lingo that might get the subs. I'm for the other options though.
Oro?

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:17 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
T-Jack said:
...or have curly get amnesia as bad as quote so that she can't remember her own name. :D

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:32 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
...or have curly get amnesia as bad as quote so that she can't remember her own name. :D
That'd really suck. It's hard enough for Atravir to come up with a script that fits in one nameless protagonist without sounding cheesy, and now you're suggesting two.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Quote could always lose the hat or leave it behind before seeing curly in the sandzone/labyrinth. My idea is the a young mimiga runs off with hat, later on when he returns to Mimiga Village he sees the hat on the ground and goes all emo. Because that is an emotional scene already, what could it hurt? Then an amusing scene between Quote and Curly in plantation when she notices the hat. :D

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Quote never takes off his hat in the game. Changing that would be changing too much in the eyes of a fan.
Well what solution would you recommend? The hat is specifically meant to be in English, changing that would be a bad idea too.

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:02 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Well what solution would you recommend? The hat is specifically meant to be in English, changing that would be a bad idea too.
T-Jack posted a whole bunch of solutions 4-5 posts ago. :/

We don't have to let the viewers a good look at the hat. Or something like that.

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
T-Jack posted a whole bunch of solutions 4-5 posts ago. :/

We don't have to let the viewers a good look at the hat. Or something like that.
Who cares if the viewers see the hat, we don't want Curly to see the hat, or maybe we could make her notice the hat after the fight (when she has Quote on the ground with her gun pointing at him, she would notice) and chuck some extra dialogue in. But avoiding the hat is not a solution and it would be incredibly obvious what we are doing. A dirty hat defeats nostalgic value of him wearing the hat in the first place, and Sue notices the hat before Curly's fight with Quote. Of course dirt is not the language used on the island but I doubt that was what Sue meant. :rolleyes:

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:28 AM
Respwnt
Breaking it into pieces coz I'm too lazy to use more than one quote tag.
andwhyisit said:
Who cares if the viewers see the hat, we don't want Curly to see the hat,

or maybe we could make her notice the hat after the fight.

But avoiding the hat is not a solution and it would be incredibly obvious what we are doing.

A dirty hat defeats nostalgic value of him wearing the hat in the first place,

and Sue notices the hat before Curly's fight with Quote.

1. Not so. The text on the hat is a very vague add-on in the game and has no effect whatsoever on the story. It isn't a flaw in technicality if Curly was to see the words and not comment on them, but it's lame scrpiting if we reveal the text on the hat. Pixel refrained from mentioning in-game what the hat reads just for this purpose.

2. We could. We'll have to make an addition right in the beginning of him noticing the words for himself, and take the names "Curly Brace" and "Sue" the only leads to know what the hell is going on. So along with Sue, he might as well inqure for Curly in the Mimiga Village.

3. Negative, some skill and experience on the part of the animator is enough to hide the text. The hat can't be avoided, but the text sure can.

4. Maybe, but he woke up in a cave having no idea where he was and the only stuff on him were his clothes, his scarf and the hat. He's likely to treasure all of them in case they hold a clue as to who he is.

5. As I said, that part is pretty skippable unless Atravir really wants to add the details about the text.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:04 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
If you want Sue to notice the text, but not Curly, here's an idea: It gets covered in sand in the Sand Zone. At least enough to obstruct the text. That way, Sue notices, but not Curly.

Or maybe Curly can't read the language written on the hat? Just 'cause it says her name doesn't mean she can read it.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
As I said, that part is pretty skippable unless Atravir really wants to add the details about the text.
Atravir included it if I remember correctly.

Roonil Wazlib said:
Negative, some skill and experience on the part of the animator is enough to hide the text. The hat can't be avoided, but the text sure can.
But as I said, it will be horribly obvious if you do this for half of the movie.

You could dirty the hat before Quote meets Curly though, or maybe dirty it halfway through the fight.

Though the dirt needs to be cleared away by sue during the scene in front of egg 0, but you need to have bits and pieces of text coming though the dirt, not enough for anyone new to cave story to understand what it says but enough for the fans to egg each other on.

The hat should be revealed at plantation or the second visit to mimiga village. Dirt can't stick all the well when you are underwater.

Also I think Quote should be as surprised as everyone else when he notices the hat.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:14 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Atravir included it if I remember correctly.

But as I said, it will be horribly obvious if you do this for half of the movie.

You could dirty the hat before Quote meets Curly though, or maybe dirty it halfway through the fight.

Though the dirt needs to be cleared away by sue during the scene in front of egg 0, but you need to have bits and pieces of text coming though the dirt, not enough for anyone new to cave story to understand what it says but enough for the fans to egg each other on.

The hat should be revealed at plantation or the second visit to mimiga village.
1. Editing it. Duh!

2. Small text-size. >_>

3. & 4. I was only arguing that dirt wouldn't have made a difference to Quote. It can't be looked at as a serious option though coz it'll get washed off in the waterway anyway.

4. I think if Atravir is planning to ever reveal the text, it should be in the Sand Zone right when Curly introduces herself.

Yeah, I know I kinda sound confused here >.<

If you want Sue to notice the text, but not Curly, here's an idea: It gets covered in sand in the Sand Zone. At least enough to obstruct the text. That way, Sue notices, but not Curly.

Or maybe Curly can't read the language written on the hat? Just 'cause it says her name doesn't mean she can read it.
1. Nah, I can't see something as fine as sand holding onto the hat all through the Labyrinth.

2. We could keep it in a unique language that Brace-sama invented.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
1. Editing it. Duh!
no.

Roonil Wazlib said:
2. Small text-size. >_>
No.

Roonil Wazlib said:
3. & 4. I was only arguing that dirt wouldn't have made a difference to Quote. It can't be looked at as a serious option though coz it'll get washed off in the waterway anyway.
That was why I said it should be revealed then. *facepalm*

Roonil Wazlib said:
4. I think if Atravir is planning to ever reveal the text, it should be in the Sand Zone right when Curly introduces herself.
Yeah, but I still think that if that were to happen it should be where curly has a gun to his head at the end of the fight, then she could introduce herself.

Roonil Wazlib said:
Yeah, I know I kinda sound confused here >.<

1. Nah, I can see something as fine as sand holding onto the hat all through the Labyrinth.
www.contradiction.de

Roonil Wazlib said:
2. We could keep it in a unique language that Brace-sama invented.
[edit] NO!