Movie script

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:28 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
JacobX891 said:
Sorry, but the first reference to Quote being from the surface was when the first Cthulu said 'Oho, a robot from the surface!'
Which happened in the Egg Corridor.
I know my CS Trivia!
...but he's not in the movie.
(I didn't know that though, 2 cool points for u :rolleyes:)

andwhyisit said:
As I said before, if the standard language is Japanese and the hat is in English, wouldn't that make more sense to say that the hat is in another language? This is what I have trying to say since very early on in this thread. If the standard language is Japanese, and Sue speaks Japanese, naturally she wouldn't have a clue about what the hat said. This is how Pixel intended it. That is why I suggested that everything apart from the hat, signs and computer terminals be written in Japanese.
There's one problem with that. I don't know Japanese. None of us do that I know of. It'd make the movie really difficult for us Englishmen to make. Although I do give credit to the fact that I'm making a movie about a Japanese game in a Japanese art form (I can't help it if they have all the best crap), incorporating Japanese into the script is something that's out of my spectrum.
And no, I can't just use Google Translator.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Atravir said:
...but he's not in the movie.
(I didn't know that though, 2 cool points for u :D)
But I mentioned that early on in this thread, back when I originally suggested that he should be in the movie. :rolleyes:

Atravir said:
There's one problem with that. I don't know Japanese. None of us do that I know of. It'd make the movie really difficult for us Englishmen to make. Although I do give credit to the fact that I'm making a movie about a Japanese game in a Japanese art form (I can't help it if they have all the best crap), incorporating Japanese into the script is something that's out of my spectrum.
And no, I can't just use Google Translator.
No. All dialogue will be in English. Just the writing will be in Japanese. For the purpose of the story, they are speaking Japanese, but to the Audiences they will be speaking English. Sort of like how most anime translations keep all the signs and writing in Japanese but change the dialogue to English. I am sure that someone from romhacking.net could translate some short phrases into Japanese for us to put on signs and other written text.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:24 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I still don't see why I should write an English anime with Japanese text that I would just have to subtitle back into English anyways.
Maybe I should just make the hat in Japanese.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
I still don't see why I should write an English anime with Japanese text that I would just have to subtitle back into English anyways.
Maybe I should just make the hat in Japanese.
I mentioned before that you don't have to subtitle it, most written text is not important to the story, and the text that is important (i.e. Sue's Letter) can be read out loud (or in that case "thought" out loud with Sue's voice).

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Take the text off the storyline. Then add in a part after the movie apologising and explaining the problem with keeping "Curly Brace" on. That'll definitely work. IMO. lolol. XD.

Oh and Curly should NOT take the hat away. The hat staying in Quote's possession is vital to Quote's character and attatchment to the only things he woke up with.

andwhyisit said:
As I said before, if the standard language is Japanese and the hat is in English, wouldn't that make more sense to say that the hat is in another language? This is what I have trying to say since very early on in this thread. If the standard language is Japanese, and Sue speaks Japanese, naturally she wouldn't have a clue about what the hat said. This is how Pixel intended it. That is why I suggested that everything apart from the hat, signs and computer terminals be written in Japanese.
The fans don't think that hard when they're watching a movie, which is the main reason for their confusion.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:21 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Nononononono. Just... no.
The text should definitely be in English. We don't want to anger the fans. Also, Sue never said she didn't understand the text on the hat, only that the language isn't used on the Island (you could use subtitles for the signs written in Mimish, or Quote translating them himself). And Mimish should stay. Atravir said:
Actually, there is a moment that the two races meet when everyone is in Arthur's house. They just don't really talk to each other.
, and that's my point entirely. There is never human talking to mimiga or vice versa. Mimigas could be able to talk the human language (let's say English, can we?), but don't necessarily need to. And Curly should definitely take the hat. First: It's what she would do. Second: She would look cool/amusing with it. And last: When a pair is inseparable, it really gets separated on one point of the plot, only to be reunited some time later (here, only Jenka, Toroko X and first third of the Labyrinth) thus confirming the "pact".

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
The fans don't think that hard when they're watching a movie, which is the main reason for their confusion.
It doesn't affect them either way. For all they know there are people speaking English but writing in Japanese. No-one takes notice in anime when the English speaking characters write in Japanese. And Sue saying that the hat was in another language doesn't mean to the audience that she can't read it like they can (even though she can't).

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:31 AM
Respwnt
T-Jack said:
Nononononono. Just... no.
The text should definitely be in English. We don't want to anger the fans. Also, Sue never said she didn't understand the text on the hat, only that the language isn't used on the Island (you could use subtitles for the signs written in Mimish, or Quote translating them himself). And Mimish should stay. Atravir said:
, and that's my point entirely. There is never human talking to mimiga or vice versa. Mimigas could be able to talk the human language (let's say English, can we?), but don't necessarily need to. And Curly should definitely take the hat. First: It's what she would do. Second: She would look cool/amusing with it. And last: When a pair is inseparable, it really gets separated on one point of the plot, only to be reunited some time later (here, only Jenka, Toroko X and first third of the Labyrinth) thus confirming the "pact".
1. How will anything like that anger the fans?

2. IMO:

a: I'm half and haf on this, so I aint commenting there.

b. NO she shouldn't. Quote keeps the hat on all the time in the game. Even when he jumps off upside down. Surely that has to have a significance.

If it were someone other than Quote who's the protagonist, I'd agree. Quote is the really silent type who would let his actions (in this case, his inseparability with the hat) speak louder than words (like caressing the hat or that sort). And we NEED him to show open affection to the hat if he gets separated, and that's just too off-character for him.

andwhyisit said:
It doesn't affect them either way. For all they know there are people speaking English but writing in Japanese. No-one takes notice in anime when the English speaking characters write in Japanese. And Sue saying that the hat was in another language doesn't mean to the audience that she can't read it like they can (even though she can't).
Viewers don't think that way. Heavy differences between written and oral syntaxes doesn't strike as a possibility to every viewer. It's more a loophole than anything, and we don't need the audience to slip into any seemingly obvious assumptions which are then to be proven wrong by something absolutely ridiculous.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:34 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Anwhy angry! You won't like me when I'm angry. :rolleyes:

Roonil Wazlib said:
If it were someone other than Quote who's the protagonist, I'd agree. Quote is the really silent type who would let his actions (in this case, his inseparability with the hat) speak louder than words (like caressing the hat or that sort). And we NEED him to show open affection to the hat if he gets separated, and that's just too OOC for him IMO.
WTF!? Too far.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:46 AM
This Troper
Roonil Wazlib said:
Uh... I dunno, really.

Roonil Wazlib said:
b. NO she shouldn't. Quote keeps the hat on all the time in the game. Even when he jumps off upside down. Surely that has to have a significance.

If it were someone other than Quote who's the protagonist, I'd agree. Quote is the really silent type who would let his actions (in this case, his inseparability with the hat) speak louder than words (like caressing the hat or that sort). And we NEED him to show open affection to the hat if he gets separated, and that's just too OOC for him IMO.
Maybe a teardrop as she grabs the hat? This is not a game and some variety wouldn't be bad. When actually does he jump upside down? You mean off the Island? Hey, it would fall off if he fell upside up, dontcha think? Also, he's just a (mute) sprite in the game, but a walking talking character with feelings and opinions in the movie. Also, Curly has a point. It's her name on the hat. Not that Quote wouldn't try to get it back:
As Quote is leaving the "Wineglass" building
Quote: And... Would you give me my...
Curly: NO!!
Quote: *hastily leaves*
King: Heya. Did you find anything? And where's that your hat?
Quote: I... uh... I... lost it somewhere?
King: *suspicious look*
Quote: Come on. I know where to go now.
C'mon! It's a hat. Yeah, it's part of his character and he loves it, but it comes back eventually.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:12 AM
Respwnt
T-Jack said:
Uh... I dunno, really.

Maybe a teardrop as she grabs the hat? This is not a game and some variety wouldn't be bad. When actually does he jump upside down? You mean off the Island? Hey, it would fall off if he fell upside up, dontcha think? Also, he's just a (mute) sprite in the game, but a walking talking character with feelings and opinions in the movie. Also, Curly has a point. It's her name on the hat. Not that Quote wouldn't try to get it back:

C'mon! It's a hat. Yeah, it's part of his character and he loves it, but it comes back eventually.
1. Oro?

2. The teardrop would go against him letting go of it so easily in the first place.
The hat should have fallen off as soon as he jumped when the velocity isn't enough for air resistance.

3. Whatever, I'll leave that bit to Atravir.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:34 AM
This Troper
Roonil Wazlib said:
Uh... I don't even know how to respond to that one...
Roonil Wazlib said:
2. The teardrop would go against him letting go of it so easily in the first place.
Um... What about him trying to grab the hat during the entire conversation?
Roonil Wazlib said:
The hat should have fallen off as soon as he jumped when the velocity isn't enough for air resistance.
He held it. Duh. You would do that too if you jumped off a mass of land floating in the air. Also, the Island itself was falling, so he gained terminal velocity fairly quickly.
And when he hit the dragon the hat fell off but Quote caught it really quickly. As you said, inseparable.
Roonil Wazlib said:
3. Whatever, I'll leave that bit to Atravir.
I totally agree with you on that one.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:00 AM
Respwnt
T-Jack said:
Uh... I don't even know how to respond to that one...

Um... What about him trying to grab the hat during the entire conversation?

He held it. Duh. You would do that too if you jumped off a mass of land floating in the air. Also, the Island itself was falling, so he gained terminal velocity fairly quickly.
And when he hit the dragon the hat fell off but Quote caught it really quickly. As you said, inseparable.

I totally agree with you on that one.
1. lololol n00b XD

2. That'd make it humour :rolleyes:

3. Which really goes against him losing it.

4. Oro? lol

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:17 AM
This Troper
Roonil Wazlib said:
1. lololol n00b XD
Um... Yeah, whatever.
Roonil Wazlib said:
2. That'd make it humour :p
Andwhy not?
Roonil Wazlib said:
3. Which really goes against him losing it.
I already said... No wait, I didn't say it, BUT I MEANT that it would be less of a losing and more of a parting their ways to the Labyrinth Hospital.
Roonil Wazlib said:
4. Oro? lol
Sure, since we'll never agree on this one, it's up to The One Who Writes The Script to decide.
JacobX891 said:
At any point in this movie will Quote make love to Chaco?
(Btw the correct answer is 'yes')
Heh heh... you wish. Didn't you read the script?

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:26 AM
This Troper
JacobX891 said:
You didn't listen when I said 'the correct answer is "yes"' did you?
I did, but I thought you were joking.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Respwnt
T-Jack said:
Um... Yeah, whatever.

Andwhy not?

I already said... No wait, I didn't say it, BUT I MEANT that it would be less of a losing and more of a parting their ways to the Labyrinth Hospital.

Sure, since we'll never agree on this one, it's up to The One Who Writes The Script to decide.

Heh heh... you wish. Didn't you read the script?
1. lulz

2. Quote isn't the kind to get pissed off over something like that. If he never gets it back, that all there is to it. If he does get it though, it'll mean a lot to him.

3. Quote has no way of knowing that.

4. XD k

5. You seriously think he can read?

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:49 AM
This Troper
Roonil Wazlib said:
2. Quote isn't the kind to get pissed off over something like that. If he never gets it back, that all there is to it. If he does get it though, it'll mean a lot to him.
I meant in a more sneaky way:
Curly: If you’re looking for red flowers, go talk to- WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
Quote: *backs off* Nothing!
Curly: *pause, angry look* Okay... But as I was saying...
Hey, it'd make her look more of a friend after she'd return the hat (it didn't fit her comfortably).

Roonil Wazlib said:
3. Quote has no way of knowing that.
Sure, but try arguing with pissed off Curly Brace...
Roonil Wazlib said:
5. You seriously think he can read?
Seriously? Yes. Even though he is (as he himself admits) a furry furfag with a crush on a pixelated(?) sprite, I do seriously think he can read.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:56 AM
Respwnt
T-Jack said:
I meant in a more sneaky way:
Hey, it'd make her look more of a friend after she'd return the hat (it didn't fit her comfortably).

Sure, but try arguing with pissed off Curly Brace...

Seriously? Yes. Even though he is (as he himself admits) a furry furfag with a crush on a pixelated(?) sprite, I do seriously think he can read.
1. Trying to get the hat back comes in the catagory of expressing his desire to keep the hat.

2. It'll still be weird and off-character. The hat is hardly a useful accessory in the Caves, yet Quote never takes it off in the game. Heck, it doesn't make sense why pixel included the hat in Quote's sprite in the first place. Therefore, I consider it a part of Quote himself and I really don't like the idea of him losing it at any point in the game.

3. Oro? Well it does surprise me to see him reply to stuff and still be totally in context, but who knows, maybe he's having someone read everything out and is just pretending to know what's going on.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:09 PM
This Troper
Roonil Wazlib said:
1. Trying to get the hat back comes in the catagory of expressing his desire to keep the hat.

2. It'll still be weird and off-character. The hat is hardly a useful accessory in the Caves, yet Quote never takes it off in the game. Heck, it doesn't make sense why pixel included the hat in Quote's sprite in the first place. Therefore, I consider it a part of Quote himself and I really don't like the idea of him losing it at any point in the game.

3. Oro? Well it does surprise me to see him reply to stuff and still be totally in context, but who knows, maybe he's having someone read everything out and is just pretending to know what's going on.
1.+2. Sure, I never said he doesn't want his hat back, but it's probably better to lose hat than get shot in the head. Or struck in the head. Or stomped over. Or whatever would Curly do to him.

2. I do understand why Pixel gave him that hat, as it's a standart piece of clothing of teenage heroes in anime (at least as far as I know). And I understand your opinion. But, I really do like the idea. As I said, we'll never agree on that.

3. Aww, man, now you're just cruel. I like that.