This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Aww, man! Not enough time to respond!

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM
This Troper
JacobX891 said:
Yeah, guess you're right.
I hate fighting about whether or not Quote fuck Chaco. It's so obvious he did.
Surely he did. We just don't want to talk about it all the time.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:21 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Quote needs to keep his hat. It's a symbol of his character.

Honestly, trying to incorporate Japanese, English, and whatever other languages they use in this thing is way too complicated, especially if we had to translate this to Japanese at a later point. The easiest thing is to assume whatever languages they speak and write, Quote can understand them through the translator. Even if Mimiga and human communicate, just assume they have a common language or something else figured out. It really doesn't matter since the focus is still on the story, and not on whether or not everything is linguistically accurate. As for the conversations with Sue, I'll leave it in just to show that Quote isn't native to the island. So actually the language on the hat should stay constant with the language the audience understands; just to reiterate Quote's not in Kansas anymore.

EDIT: Jacob, if you actually read the script, you'd find Chaco is portrayed as more of a little old Englishwoman than anything else. So no, your dreams won't come true.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:25 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Atravir said:

Honestly, trying to incorporate Japanese, English, and whatever other languages they use in this thing is way too complicated, especially if we had to translate this to Japanese at a later point. The easiest thing is to assume whatever languages they speak and write, Quote can understand them through the translator. Even if Mimiga and human communicate, just assume they have a common language or something else figured out. It really doesn't matter since the focus is still on the story, and not on whether or not everything is linguistically accurate. As for the conversations with Sue, I'll leave it in just to show that Quote isn't native to the island. So actually the language on the hat should stay constant with the language the audience understands; just to reiterate Quote's not in Kansas anymore.

EDIT: Jacob, if you actually read the script, you'd find Chaco is portrayed as more of a little old Englishwoman than anything else. So no, your dreams won't come true.

1. My point right from the book.

2. O_o I dunno what you mean there. But are you considering the option of, like, taking the text off completely? Because that is the best solution IMO.

3. OMG T_T

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM
This Troper
Atravir said:

1. Okay, you win, Roonil. It's settled then, I guess?

2. I do understand (I hope). It's either that humans communicate with mimigas in either the human language (whichever language is the movie viewed in), Mimish or, preferably, a language devised precisely for those occasions (and that it doesn't really matter for the purpose of the movie). I'd go with the first one, but do whatever you want. And the text should stay.

3. Guess that won't stop him...

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM
Respwnt
T-Jack said:
1. Okay, you win, Roonil. It's settled then, I guess?

2. I do understand (I hope). It's either that humans communicate with mimigas in either the human language (whichever language is the movie viewed in), Mimish or, preferably, a language devised precisely for those occasions (and that it doesn't really matter for the purpose of the movie). I'd go with the first one, but do whatever you want. And the text should stay.

3. Guess that won't stop him...
1. No it isn't. Atravir has the final say, but your opinion is just as valuable as mine, no matter what the outcome. It's the same as an election not necessarily choosing the right candidate. The debate is over and should be declared as a draw, but serves as a valuable source of opinion for the scriptwriter if ever he needs a reference.

2. O_o As far as the language of communication goes I'll stick with English/Japanese, but the text I'm not very sure what I think of it.

3. Likely...

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:04 PM
Guy with Sword
2. My point was that there's really only one language: English (or whatever language the movie later gets translated to). Text in the movie is either not seen or gibberish (mimmish), and is just read aloud by Quote and company. As for the hat, it's whatever language the movie is in, it's really just there to alienate Quote.
If you still don't understand, just wait for the movie to get it.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:53 PM
This Troper
Roonil Wazlib said:
No it isn't. Atravir has the final say, but your opinion is just as valuable as mine, no matter what the outcome. It's the same as an election not necessarily choosing the right candidate. The debate is over and should be declared as a draw, but serves as a valuable source of opinion for the scriptwriter if ever he needs a reference.
Thank you. I'm sure the debate contains enough argumentation for both sides, and, as you'll ever be against the idea, I promise I'll ever promote it. For only that way can the Balance be preserved! (Can anyone cure me from that urge to include these cheap unfunny jokes everywhere?)
Atravir said:
My point was that there's really only one language: English (or whatever language the movie later gets translated to). Text in the movie is either not seen or gibberish (mimmish), and is just read aloud by Quote and company. As for the hat, it's whatever language the movie is in, it's really just there to alienate Quote.
If you still don't understand, just wait for the movie to get it.
So I did get it right. Alternatively, the gibberish can be not voiced, but rather subtitled. And you don't intend to have the computer text ("Eexecuting chat algorithm...") in gibberish, do you?
Oh and I'm sick of typing "the human language" over and over, so further on I'll use English instead.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:46 PM
Guy with Sword
Actually, the audience never directly sees a monitor in the movie, and if they did I'd just use that really small and illegible text like they do in every anime.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:22 PM
This Troper
You changed it? In the Christmas edition, you had at one point the monitor text pop up literally onscreen. It was Scene 2, right after the intro. Then there are couple of "over Kazuma's shoulder" scenes later on... Right?

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:58 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
As long as the signs are in Mimish/Japanese you can put Sue's letter and the computers in English (since they are Human-related, not Mimiga-related). Using Japanese is better than inventing a whole new language.

T-Jack said:
You changed it? In the Christmas edition, you had at one point the monitor text pop up literally onscreen. It was Scene 2, right after the intro. Then there are couple of "over Kazuma's shoulder" scenes later on... Right?
You can hear the transmission, but the scene doesn't switch over to Kazuma in the kazuma transmission scenes, just stays focused on quote as he picks up the transmission, but the audience isn't supposed to know where the sound is coming from.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:16 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
As long as the signs are in Mimish/Japanese you can put Sue's letter and the computers in English (since they are Human-related, not Mimiga-related). Using Japanese is better than inventing a whole new language.
I say use simply Engrish for the text and Japanese for the hat. Much easier to avoid the subbing.

But what will Curly's reaction be?

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:05 AM
Guy with Sword
andwhyisit said:
Using Japanese is better than inventing a whole new language.
Writing gibberish is easier than using Japanese. :D

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Atravir said:
Writing gibberish is easier than using Japanese. :D
As I said, I can go here and post the phrases and someone will hopefully translate it into Japanese for me. Give me a list of sign phrases and I'll see what help I can get with them, if not then you can use the gibberish language. Deal?

EDIT: Wait a minute. If the signs in the movie read the same as the game then can you list the movie signs' game locations.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:33 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Could anyone give me a sit rep on the current progress of this movie script.

I do try to keep up with this thread, but whenever I do get access to to the internet (which is sporadic at best), another 200 posts has been added, and I only have time to skim through the last few pages of this thread, if that, and I really would like to know how much progress has been made.

As for this language debate, I personally think it doesn't matter whether you use gibberish or Japanese for written text. Its all gibberish in the eyes of an English speaking audience.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM
This Troper
andwhyisit said:
You can hear the transmission, but the scene doesn't switch over to Kazuma in the kazuma transmission scenes, just stays focused on quote as he picks up the transmission, but the audience isn't supposed to know where the sound is coming from.
Quote from the script (pun not intended):
Camera blacks out. A pause, then a digital type of text appears at the top of the screen, letter by letter, as if typed.
Text: Starting transmission…
After a pause, more text, a few lines below the first.
Text:
Connecting to network...
Logged on.
Executing chat algorithm.
Cut to: Small metal building. The building is completely bare, save a small rack of keys, an old metal desk and chair, an old computer, and some sort of metal pod. The pod has a semispherical top, and a four-legged round stand for the bottom. They are attached by one thick piece of metal in back. Sitting at the desk is Kazuma. He has green hair, and wears a lab coat. The audience cannot see his face. He speaks into a microphone attached to the computer. White words light up the blue screen.
Hope you don't mind, Atravir.

To the language discussion:
Atravir already said he'll use only one language as the human language. That way, there will be no problems if somebody eventually decides to translate CS:tM to Japanese. Heck, all you need for the gibberish is create 26 random glyphs (preferably japanese or chinese-style)

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:22 PM
Guy with Sword
I'm not going to detail the gati with words in every scene, just when the camera zooms to the hat. People can assume the writing's still there.