Mod Art Help

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Thanks! Now to work on my mod!

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So I made those two facepics today, and I really could use some feedback/suggestions on those.
Here they are:
diph.php

Props to those who recognize the character in the first pic!

edit: Oh, whoops. I uploaded the old version of first facepic. Updated.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
First thought:

Katawa Shoujo: Misery and Balrog Edition

:awesomeface:

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Carrotlord said:
First thought:

Katawa Shoujo: Misery and Balrog Edition

:awesomeface:
what is katawa shoujo :droll:
And no, the first char is actually related to Daisuke Amaya.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Sasuke. You know...

Explanation of Katawa Shoujo (for people who never touched a really nice indie VN):

Katawa Shoujo, or Maximum Trollface as some people like to call it, is a Visual Novel and Dating Simulation game created by people at the imageboard 4chan.

It deals with the (not terribly) unusual aspect of one person (a male character) falling in love with some beautiful women.
There is one not-so-normal thing that goes on. All the girls have a serious disability of some sort.
For example, take mutedness (no ability to speak) or just blindness (no ability to see).

There is also a girl on the Track team (you know, running, jumping, and athletics). She is also the girl with no legs.
There is a girl who loves to paint art. Good drawings and wonderful mosaics of color. She is also the girl with no arms.

Maximum Trollface. :awesomeface:

katawa-shoujo-characters.jpg

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
And yeah the first character is Ame.

Yup.
I'm thinking of using her in one way or another in one of my hacks.
Probably as a story-important character, helping you one way or another :U
Also the blind girl is probably gonna appear in the same hack as well.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ok i don't normally do this but I feel legally obligated to help because of ame. I'mma say it needs some help. The really dark black lines of the eyes and mouth stick out against the white and make it seem pixelly, so I'd recommend focusing on getting some more intermediate colours to blend it a bit. Also the smile seems kinda crooked to me and eyes give kind of an odd dead-ahead stare.

maybe try working on those things and later someone better at this like Matt can give you some actual good advice.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Noxid said:
ok i don't normally do this but I feel legally obligated to help because of ame. I'mma say it needs some help. The really dark black lines of the eyes and mouth stick out against the white and make it seem pixelly, so I'd recommend focusing on getting some more intermediate colours to blend it a bit. Also the smile seems kinda crooked to me and eyes give kind of an odd dead-ahead stare.

maybe try working on those things and later someone better at this like Matt can give you some actual good advice.
Hey, thanks!
Actually, I based the Ame facepic off the manga. It's very accurate to the real thing, and I like the direction she's looking at. And about the crooked mouth, I'll work at that to make it a little smoother, I guess?
Here's what I used for reference:

diph.php

UPDATE: Okay, I updated the ame facepic. Now she looks better! Thanks, Noxid!
Also, the next thing I'm probably gonna do to it is smooth out the edges a bit, like every other face pic does. It's very subtle, but it has huge impact on the image.
diph.php
. . . .

(yep, she'll be silent in the hack, just like in the manga.)

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Noxid said:
Aw shucks.

Well it look like you took some steps already to do so anti-aliasing, I'd recomend screwing with the shape of the mouth a bit more. Making the 3 pixel line to 2 pixels for instance. While it's a nice rendition the pic looks generally dirty. You should see to adding more shading on the bottom and fixing the weird white spots on the top left of the head.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Aw shucks.

Well it look like you took some steps already to do so anti-aliasing, I'd recomend screwing with the shape of the mouth a bit more. Making the 3 pixel line to 2 pixels for instance. While it's a nice rendition the pic looks generally dirty. You should see to adding more shading on the bottom and fixing the weird white spots on the top left of the head.
Hey, thanks for those tips.
The weird white spot on the top left of the head is supposed to be another ear, I'll see what I can do to make it look like it. :V
Alright, I anti-aliased it even more and used your tips so it looks even better. Here it is:
diph.php

:D?

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I need help with a facepic.
p159721-0-4zpjqa6.png

This will be the main character.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Are you asking for us to make you one, then? At least try before you ask. Use the broken soldier robot as a base.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I tried. I don't want it to look like that robot, and when I did try,it looked...well, wrong.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:15 AM
Professional Whatever
Try more. You get better the more you do it. Notice that the OP of this thread doesn't say anything about asking for people to do things for you. This is a thread for feedback on what you have done, and for people to offer to "touch up" your art - not just make it for you.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Okay.

diph.php

That's what I did.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:47 AM
/end
That is pretty decent, actually. imo

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Noses are always a pain. Are you going for a face-mask thing or more like Quote/Curly?

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I like it actually. I think that's a decent face pic.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I know it's okay, but it doesn't have the feel (like curly has) that I want for the main character. I tried making it less blocky, but it just looked worse.